Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been five years since losing my best buddy of 12 Years. I have decided it is time to bring another into our family. However, I have one granddaughter (4) who is scared of dogs. My other granddaughter (2) loves doggies. I want to introduce this puppy to them in the proper way. I’ve never had to del with someone who is scared of animals. She has good reasons, their dog has bitten both of them. He is a very anxious Aussie. he only relates to his male owner. I’ve owned dogs all my life and even I have to be careful around him. I’m concerned that the girls will think their dog can be friendly like the new puppy. It just isn’t the case and never will be.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Now Goldens are very mouth so it is very possible they will get mouthed on. I would work tirelessly to stop the pup from being mouthy and give it some frozen treats before introducing them.
If puppy is a water fanatic like mine.. maybe have them hold the hose while puppy plays with the water. That seems to make kiddos giggle.

Teach them to give treats flat handed so their fingers don't get in the way. Long tug of war toys. Things to keep those puppy teeth off of them.

While my puppy is a land shark, she is drawn to kids. She has never been exposed to children, even at the breeders home which I find strand she loves them so much. We will be on a walk and she pulls to see a kid in their yard and plops on their lap. She seems to like their size. Never mouths them.
Hopefully it all goes well

·
Registered
154 Posts
Also, if you can, teach the kids to 'be a tree' if pup is jumping and nipping. Fold their arms, stand up still and straight, and turn away from the puppy - so it doesn't get any reward for jumping up. Try to teach no screaming or running away.... Harder said than done for a 2 and 4 year old though.... Let us know how you get on?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well, that can be a challenge. We have had Goldens since our kids were very young and we now have 6 Grandkids from 5 to 23! The two youngest, were raised with labs around them all the time, accordingly, they are fearless and also understand how puppies can hurt them. So we are blessed their for sure.

I would say of the parents brief the kids a lot about how to avoid puppy shark bites. Then as above, train your puppy as best you can. I would also hold the pup on my lab and let the kids play with the pup. In that way you can show them what to do and what not to do. Then after observing how that goes you will know what if anything, more they can do with the pup. In time they all will work it out, but you may have to control it very closely for a while. Pups and kids are all different, so you never know what may happen...so take control until you feel safe about going to the next step
Good Luck

·
Registered
808 Posts
One tip that I have is to only allow the kids to play with the puppy outside in the beginning. I brought Moe home when my grandson was three. He has always been around dogs but never a puppy. I made the rules for the puppy's safety and to minimize my grandson being scratched or chewed on. Luckily it was summer so when he wanted to play with the puppy I would have him walk out into the yard with me and sit down. I would let Moe out and tell my grandson that if the puppy came to him he could pet it but he wasn't allowed to chase it, pick it up, or run around when the puppy was out. Moe is field bred and was very mouthy. I would sit right next to my grandson so I could intervene by scooping Moe up if necessary.

They both learned very quickly how to correctly interact with each other. As Moe grew my grandson was allowed to walk him on his leash. He was also allowed to play ball with him. We still said no running around when the puppy is out. Remember that nothing is more appealing to a Golden puppy then a running, screaming three year old. We also explained to our grandson that the puppy was a little baby and it didn't know right from wrong so it was our job to keep it safe and teach it. He really enjoyed being part of the process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts