Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We didn't get insurance for Ozzy when we got him but after our $2000 surgery after the sock eating incident we are considering it. Do you think we would be able to get insurance for him that would cover him if he eats something else or do you think that will get excluded, sort of like a pre-existing condition? Honestly, one of the main reasons I want the insurance is for his habit of eating whatever he can. I don't know WHAT we'll do if we're faced with another $2000 surgery.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
You can perhaps call the companies you are considering... I wouldn't think it would be a pre-existing condition... because eating something isn't a condition. I always worry about that with Beamer so that is why I have insurance for him.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Ozzy's Mom

Ozzy's Mom

I hope this comes out right-just trying to help.
My dogs are 2 and 3 years old, and I have puppy proofed our home-there is nothing they can get into. The Garbarge can is udner the sink behind closed doors and we immediately empty the garbage cans in the bedrooms, bathrooms. I have a hamper with a lid on it that they can't get into, and we never leave any laundry out where they can get to it.

I agree that if you call the insurance company ask them if that would be covered.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have to agree with Karen, here. I think a little prevention would go a long way, but I understand that things happen.

I'd just call the insurance companies and ask them. To me, it seems like that would fall under the category of "accident" and wouldn't be considered a pre-existing condition. But ask them.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, we have puppy proofed like crazy since the sock issue but accidents happen. And with kids, it's really hard. Yesterday I was making dinner and had chicken on the counter. My daughter got hurt and started screaming in the other room. I quick ran it to see what was going on and in the seriously 15 seconds it look me to realize I'd left chicken on the counter Ozzy was eating it. Because I was concerned he ate a bone I induced vomiting and he threw up a dollar bill. I have NO idea where that came from. It's not like I leave money just laying around.

But, he's not allowed in closets (doors are kept closed), garbage is up, clothes and toys aren't on the floor...but it's hard to anticipate EVERYTHING. Seriously, this dog will eat anything he can swallow. It's not just the normal stuff dogs eat.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Even if you have puppy-proofed, I feel that it is never perfect!! There will always be something they can find to get into.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
if you call the insurance companies they honestly won't tell you... they will say that they won't know until underwriting gets hold of the application. I am going to guess that they would exclude it for a period of time... considering his track record but after that it would be covered...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I will chat with my husband and see what he thinks. It looks like if we go through underwriting and don't like the answers we get we can get our money back with most policies. Right now, I'm leaning towards PetPlan.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I have Petplan. Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet, but I know I wouldn't be able to afford an expensive surgery if he needed one.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Oh, we have puppy proofed like crazy since the sock issue but accidents happen. And with kids, it's really hard. Yesterday I was making dinner and had chicken on the counter. My daughter got hurt and started screaming in the other room. I quick ran it to see what was going on and in the seriously 15 seconds it look me to realize I'd left chicken on the counter Ozzy was eating it. Because I was concerned he ate a bone I induced vomiting and he threw up a dollar bill. I have NO idea where that came from. It's not like I leave money just laying around.

But, he's not allowed in closets (doors are kept closed), garbage is up, clothes and toys aren't on the floor...but it's hard to anticipate EVERYTHING. Seriously, this dog will eat anything he can swallow. It's not just the normal stuff dogs eat.
It is difficult. No matter how careful you are, accidents can still happen.

We're so careful, we seriously border on being paranoid. I mean, we're really neurotic about it, and Riley still managed to swallow a sock a couple years ago. I was changing clothes, getting ready to do laundry, and he just swooped in and grabbed one of my socks before I could stop him. He'd never done anything like that before, so I hadn't expected it. In the process of trying to get it away from him, he swallowed it whole. :doh:
Fortunately, I took him right to the vet and they were able to make him throw it up, but it scared the daylights out of me and showed me just how quickly something can happen.

And our Cooper (rest his soul) ate part of a decorative clay pot when he was about a year old. I can't begin to imagine what possessed him to do that! He must have knocked it over and broken it, and then decided that it looked like a good snack. Who knows? He was okay, fortunately - never had any problems. But it just goes to show ya... no matter how careful you are, you never know what could happen!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts