1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
This is the most vile situation ever. The fact it is happening in my own back yard makes me sick..... literally. My stomach hurts every time I think of it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow, they gassed a 4 month old dog the same day his "owners" brought him in because he bites! If people turned in all of their 4 month old puppies for biting, there would be very few pets out there.

Also 6000+ euthansia's in a year seems really high to me. That works out to over 17 animals a day 7 days a week.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I'm not advocating euthasia or defending bad practices....but I"m curious why Carbon Monoxide gas is "inhuman". I've known a person who almost died from this and basically they just went to sleep.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not advocating euthasia or defending bad practices....but I"m curious why Carbon Monoxide gas is "inhuman". I've known a person who almost died from this and basically they just went to sleep.
I believe the article explained why gassing is inhumane, according to the experts. I'll quote from it here, with emphasis on bold face language in red:
The Garland animal shelter has been gassing young, sick or elderly cats and dogs in violation of state law, probably causing them a slower, more stressful death, records obtained by The Dallas Morning News show.

Garland is the largest city in Texas to use a carbon monoxide chamber to euthanize animals, making it a target of those who believe the practice is inhumane. Most shelters in Texas use lethal injection.
The American Veterinary Medical Association and the state do not oppose gassing, but have set limits on its use. For example, the Texas Administrative Code says carbon monoxide cannot be used on animals younger than 4 months, elderly or sick animals because the "time required to achieve death in these animals may be significantly increased."
Using carbon monoxide on such animals is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a $2,000 fine for each charge

But the state code prohibits gassing young or sick animals because the time it takes them to die "may be significantly increased."
"In animals with decreased respiratory function, carbon monoxide levels rise slowly, making it more likely that these animals will experience elevated levels of stress," the code also says.

Debate over carbon monoxide euthanasia has grown in recent years, with at least 14 states outlawing the practice.
"As a profession, we have a moral obligation to take the best care of animals we can with the allocations we receive," said Jay Sabatucci, animal services director in Arlington. "If we don't take care of them, they suffer."

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
This article was on the front page of the Dallas Morning News this am, so I'm hoping this widespread publicity is a huge push to get this stopped. Again.... makes me SICK!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When people in the area started complaining to the Garland City Council one of their council representatives sent a letter to the editor of the Dallas Morning News and basically said if you don't live in Garland we don't care what the heck you think, we only answer to Garland residents. The next meeting drew a TON of Garland residents, some in tears, and the council still rejected a change in policy. I guess another council representative is ready to take up the torch after hearing they are in violation of state law.

I suspect the fact the gas is cheaper had a lot to do with Garland's decisions. That shelter has had many many issues over the years, including a whistleblower lawsuit by a former employee. It is one of the filthiest shelters I've seen and they've had their share of parvo and distemper outbreaks over the years.

Between the Garland and Ferris TX shelter policies, it makes me embarrassed to be a Texan--those municipalities are in the dark ages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts