Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just adopted 9 year old, healthy male golden. His appetitie is actually too good. He eats so voraciously and quickly that he has a monstrous belch when he's done. Any ideas on how to slow him down?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Lol, sounds like Flora. She dances and growls at me (playfully) for her food, and by the time I've released her to eat she's already done!

Some things you can try:

A kong wobbler. AWESOME awesome, can't say it enough. It keeps Flora busy for at least 10 minutes.

Some people put dog food in muffin pans or in some other kind of pan with obstructions in it, so that the dog has to work around those things in order to eat.

Uh... that's all I can think of, lol. Good luck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Research on here for that problem and you will find many ideas used to slow him down. Use the search tab at the top and put in the problem and you should find threads or post on this problem. My favorite way to slow them down is to put his meal in an interactive toy so he has to work for it and the food comes out slow so he has to slow down eating. Do keep in mind that dogs that gulp their food are more pron to a condition called "bloat" so you do want to get him slowed down.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Busy-Buddy-Kibble-Nibble/dp/B001F0RRUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320959708&sr=8-1[/ame]

This is what we use with Koda. She inhaled her food as well and our dog sitter recommended this to us. It is AWESOME! Keeps Koda occupied for about 10-15 minutes depending on how long the last piece takes and keeps her from inhaling it as well!

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Calvin uses a Bundt Cake pan......he's an inhaler too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts