Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My youngest pup (about 16 weeks) ate a pecan...whole, shell & all. They are probably about the size of a quarter, only round or oblong.

I called the vet & asked if I should induce vomiting. They said go ahead & give 2 TBSP hydrogen peroxide, but it he doesn't bring it up they wouldn't get hysterical.

So I guess i wondered how sick this peroxide will make him? Is it vomit & they are done or do they keep vomiting for a while? If the vet isn't that concerned should I put him through the vomiting?
I guess if there is a chance it will come up it is probably worth it just to be sure there is no problem later.

How quick does the H2O2 work? Immediately or minutes?
Thanks

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide works with in a few quick minutes. My dogs have vomited maybe once or twice and brings up whatever she ate. If you wait to long it wont bring up the item..not sure of what amount of time is too long.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
My son has had to use the peroxide with his dog and they mix it in a little beef or chicken broth (canned soup type) and then he walks her around the yard. Within minutes she's barfing. After a few minutes,she's back to normal.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I have used the hydrogen peroxide when it has induced vomit and twice it didn't. Found out later, the bottle must be freshly opened. An older bottle might not be as effective.

... and yes, if they do vomit, it is only once or twice, then they are fine.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you all for your quick response. I was afraid he might be sick all day. It was pretty painless. My own anticipation was worse, I hated doing that to him but just like a Mom, sometimes things are best.

Hey, I should have done it yesterday when he ate my money.
Today I saw him with the nut & figured if I tossed a treat he would drop it. Instead he swallowed it whole & grabbed the treat too. Did the same thing yesterday with the money. I definitely need to work on the drop it command with both my dogs.
He usually isn't too bad, but he has definitely had less exercise lately. I feel much better & don't have to worry he will be "plugged" up.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Oh dang, I missed all the excitement:doh:. Glad to hear everything worked out.

Is that a piece of grass that hitched a ride on the nut??

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
glad to see it all worked out well

the time i called poison control and had them walk me through this, they also advised giving them a piece of bread and a cup of milk before i did the peroxide in order to make sure there was a good chance of the item getting stuck to the bread before it comes up, which helps keep their throat safe if it's got an edge to it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh dang, I missed all the excitement:doh:. Glad to hear everything worked out.
Well I figured you shouldn't have all the fun with dogs eating large objects Last 2 days my sweet little calm dog has been a korker. With Kadence in heat he isn't get his usual exercise. I want my sweetie back. Hubby doesn't know it yet, but he will be taking a long walk tonight.:)

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
So glad your baby is ok....only people on the golden forum would take a picute of what the dog threw up and make others smile.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So glad your baby is ok....only people on the golden forum would take a picute of what the dog threw up and make others smile.
LOL Yeah, I at least took it out of the rest of what came up before I took a picture. LOL In addition to the nut there were some small rubber bits from a sandal amongst the food, but my money from yesterday must already be on its way out the other end. Too bad he didn't do it all together I might have gotten both back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts