Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sister and family have found their own place and I have room again!! The guest bedroom no longer has a mattress set and I decided I'd rather have an indoor training room that a guest bedroom so

Given the room has beautiful oak floors and woodwork and is about 12 x 14 I am wondering how to transform it to a training area (small I know) while protecting the oak.

Thoughts and/or comments? Oh it would be used for obedience and probably 1 jump agility work ...

Thanks

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Can't you buy that rubbery material they put on the floor of dog training centers? It would be very cool to have a room floored entirely with that stuff.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't you buy that rubbery material they put on the floor of dog training centers? It would be very cool to have a room floored entirely with that stuff.
I'm not sure if that would mark the floor - the flooring was replaced 2 years ago so is not that 'tough' yet.

I've thought about a thin carpet with some matting over that and perhaps those mirrored shower doors for the walls (easily removable :uhoh:).

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any of the commercial agility flooring could go down without damaging the floor. However, since you're working with a small space you probably won't be working full height - so the cushion is less important than traction....

Perhaps this will help?
http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=97
Thanks :) I am actually a bit surprised that the cost is really not so bad. And yes, I will most definitely not be doing full height .. even at a diagonal I think the room would be too small for Faelan and possibly even for Towhee.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Thanks :) I am actually a bit surprised that the cost is really not so bad. And yes, I will most definitely not be doing full height .. even at a diagonal I think the room would be too small for Faelan and possibly even for Towhee.
LOL - the cost isn't so bad because you aren't working with a large space :) We're trying to figure out how to finagle new footing at our training center - we're looking at about 10k to do it - and we've got a (relatively) small space to work with...

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
P.S. - Since you're in central CT I'd suggest taking a field trip to Clean Run - take a look at their footing....that's what we're drooling over at the moment.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the training center I rent most often (2500 sq feet ring in Oxford CT ) had to think long and hard about the matting because of the cost - they went with tender foot matting .. it is holding up well but I personally hate having to kneel or sit on it, but my dogs don't burn their pads and have really good traction on it.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Yes, the training center I rent most often (2500 sq feet ring in Oxford CT ) had to think long and hard about the matting because of the cost - they went with tender foot matting .. it is holding up well but I personally hate having to kneel or sit on it, but my dogs don't burn their pads and have really good traction on it.
Why don't you like to sit or kneel on it?

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dogs move fine on it : you can rarely hear them and they can turn on a dime. I swear they sometimes look like they are trying to do hand-stands the traction is so good. I have never noticed them being stiff or sore after being on the flooring.

It is different from when they are running full out on outdoor surfaces and they sound almost like thundering horses (field training) and also different than when they are on the softer, more cushioned flooring where they almost sound like they need to lift their feet more (more springy I guess).

I hope this makes sense ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts