Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am so excited - I know we have lots of Colorado residents here so I thought this would be of interest to them.

Since Duke was dx'd with lymphoma, he's had some muscle wasting in his rear among other places and he looooves to swim (no surprise!). After a few suggestions from friends here, I did some searching and found a facility in Littleton. It's called Deer Creek Animal Hospital. I have their phone number if anyone wants it. It's $7.50 for 15 - 20 minutes and I think that's a deal. It's play time with you and him. I do not plan on swimming with him, but I also think that that is an option!

There was a place here in town, actually but it was $11.00 for 15 minutes and it was therapy with a vet. So we wouldn't be able to be with him. AND, it was outdoors so closed for the season.

We're taking him the day after Thanksgiving. he'll be soooooo happy I'm jumping inside. hehehehe.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
VERY reasonable pricing....so happy for Duke!!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That is a great price. Sounds like a great thing to help him build up some muscle.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Great news - I'm sure Duke will have a great time, and it help him, but don't be surprised if he gets very tired - Holly used to when we took her after rupturing 2 cruciates. (I think he might enjoy it more if his Mum was to go paddling with him).

Good Luck and big hugs to Duke

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Cindy, if you don't want to go as far as Littleton, there's a therapy pool in Boulder, run by a wonderful, gentle canine physical therapist. The pool is indoors in a large building attached to a vet clinic, but Susie Finley (the therapist) runs it independently from the vet. Her phone number is 720-318-7383.

I took Finn there after his spinal surgery. Dogs who are rehabbing and have had muscle atrophy cannot swim for more than a few minutes at a time before they're very tired. The pups wear a life vest, the pool is not big enough for you to be in with them, as the therapy is designed so they're swimming against resistance. I stood with a ball in my hand, Finn swam toward me, but the leash on the life vest prevented him from making actual progress. This built up his muscles. The first session, he was only in the pool for 6 minutes. Because Finn also had a rotated pelvis from being kept in a too small crate, Susie also showed me how to stretch and massage his muscles to help his pelvis. You might want to talk with her about what would help Duke the most, how much it would cost, etc. She's a sweetheart of a person!

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great news - I'm sure Duke will have a great time, and it help him, but don't be surprised if he gets very tired - Holly used to when we took her after rupturing 2 cruciates. (I think he might enjoy it more if his Mum was to go paddling with him).

Good Luck and big hugs to Duke
We've gone swimming in the water with him before - gosh it seems like a lifetime ago! It was great fun. He swims for the joy of swimming and if we add a toy it's an added benefit.

I'm sure he'll be tuckered but he just so loves it - just to be able to get him doing something he used to do & love will be awesome. I really can't wait.

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cindy, if you don't want to go as far as Littleton, there's a therapy pool in Boulder, run by a wonderful, gentle canine physical therapist. The pool is indoors in a large building attached to a vet clinic, but Susie Finley (the therapist) runs it independently from the vet. Her phone number is 720-318-7383.

I took Finn there after his spinal surgery. Dogs who are rehabbing and have had muscle atrophy cannot swim for more than a few minutes at a time before they're very tired. The pups wear a life vest, the pool is not big enough for you to be in with them, as the therapy is designed so they're swimming against resistance. I stood with a ball in my hand, Finn swam toward me, but the leash on the life vest prevented him from making actual progress. This built up his muscles. The first session, he was only in the pool for 6 minutes. Because Finn also had a rotated pelvis from being kept in a too small crate, Susie also showed me how to stretch and massage his muscles to help his pelvis. You might want to talk with her about what would help Duke the most, how much it would cost, etc. She's a sweetheart of a person!
Oh! Thank you - it might be a way to start him out at first. I'll call her right now.

Thanks!!!!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
That is cheap!!!!!!! here in Lincoln I think it like at least $50 for a half hr and you can't go in the water with them. : (

Have fun Duke!!!!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
BTW, that's not Susie, it's her assistant. There's a ramp down into the pool and carpeted, wide stairs getting up to the pool deck.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Both options sound great!
I hope duke has a lot of fun. Please let me know if it helps with the muscle wasting. Copper does not like water much, but if it would help with his hips I would take him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts