Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you who have more then one dog...do you give individual attention?
Also, Noah (my 5 year old dachshund) and Zack get along great, although, Noah can be mean sometimes. I cant figuer out who is alpha between the two ( they know that i am the alpha over both of them).I feed them both at the same time. Noah usually waits until Zack is done eating and then eats. He waits for Zack to go through the door first. Noah humps Zack, but only when Zack is laying down. Zack is on his back when they are playing but i think thats only because he wants to be on Noah's level to play.
Any ideas?

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Yes each of mine get individual attention. They each go for walks alone not with the others and during the week, they each get a turn going places with me.... There training is done on the same day but not in a group class... each are in private lessons.....Maggie is very Alpha and the pack knows this..... The hump thing happens here as well but they all know Maggie is BOSS.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yeah, I give individual attention but only at the right times.

Humping doesn't always mean dominance. Many dogs won't tolerate that though. I know when Kode was younger he would try pulling that on Bianka and she'd knock him down everytime. He learned not to do it soon after that, in his case however I do believe it was him trying to get over her and up the ladder.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have two male goldens, Jimi and Beni and Sami a female Lab/Shep. Sami is the boss and the boys now it but she is also the one to back off when they thrive for the attention. They all get individual attention when I can. Hard most times because they are always together. When Jimi jumps on the couch next to me and gives the golden nudge you can bet Beni is right there nudging the other hand. All I can say is it is a good thing I have two hands. At times it is both hands and a foot doing the rubbing. The boys will usually bully by Sami and being the little lady she is she just lets them do it. When I come in they are all so excited but I have to let Sami give me a kiss then she just steps back and lets the boys go crazy. She goes over and sits in the same chair and waits for her special belly rub. As for the humping they all do it to each other when playing. I have even seen Sami do it to the boys. If the boys are getting to rough when playing I tell her to break it up and she gets in the middle of them and they calm down.

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
I give all individual time. Both inside and outside time. And they all know I AM alpha dog.

Hooch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts