Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I tell my puppy is purebred? I’ve read akc papers do not guarantee he is but I at least have those. What should I look for that suggests he is purebred or mixed breed? I’m questioning a few characteristics but overall his looks point to golden.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
post a photo or better, several. It would be simpler to point out the right or not things than to list a bazillion ways he could deviate.

·
Kate
22,437 Posts
How do I tell my puppy is purebred? I’ve read akc papers do not guarantee he is but I at least have those.
This is an interesting question to ask...

Among else, one of the first things that comes to mind is that if there is any reason you would ask the question... I wonder about your impression of your pup's breeder.

The efforts we all make to find a breeder - they preclude the fact that you trust that person will not deceive you on the very basic point that they are selling you a purebred dog - that's actually a mixed breed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Among else, one of the first things that comes to mind is that if there is any reason you would ask the question... I wonder about your impression of your pup's breeder.

The efforts we all make to find a breeder - they preclude the fact that you trust that person will not deceive you on the very basic point that they are selling you a purebred dog - that's actually a mixed breed.

Had a good impression through the process. I had been looking for awhile and came across this breeder through a recommendation on a golden retriever page. The breeder seemed trustworthy and wasn’t pushy for me to buy. I’m just now beginning to question some things. But mainly because someone said he looked like he had long legs for a golden puppy and he has some lighter coloring in his chest that I’ve been told he will probably grow out of. I’m just curious if these things are normal is all.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Poorly bred golden retrievers will look (and may act) differently than a very well bred golden retriever. If you have a pedigree, he is probably purebred, but well bred and purebred are not mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
496 Posts
In a group of dogs of the same breed, it's not that difficult to spot the "not so well bred" dog.
There were 4 Goldens in one of the obedience classes I attended, the difference between the well bred dogs and the rest was pretty obvious, once we realized they are all the same age.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
post a photo or better, several. It would be simpler to point out the right or not things than to list a bazillion ways he could deviate.
I feel like he looks a little different from the pictures I take, I’m not the most skilled at it lol. One picture is after a bath, before brushing out so his coat looks a little curly when it’s not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your puppy looks like a very nice Golden Retriever to me.

My experience is there’s always people who like to “puff themselves up” by telling their victims that their puppy is not purebred. When I was younger and too polite to walk away, I had people tell me that my very well bred, classically marked Border Collie was variously too big, too small, too white and not white enough to be a purebred Border Collie. I showed him a couple of times and a judge thought him nice enough to give him best of his age group in the breed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, I love him a lot and think he is just perfect the way he is💗 I guess it makes some people feel better to make comments like that. I’ll never understand why.
Your puppy looks like a very nice Golden Retriever to me.

My experience is there’s always people who like to “puff themselves up” by telling their victims that their puppy is not purebred. When I was younger and too polite to walk away, I had people tell me that my very well bred, classically marked Border Collie was variously too big, too small, too white and not white enough to be a purebred Border Collie. I showed him a couple of times and a judge thought him nice enough to give him best of his age group in the breed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very true! He is a sweet smart boy💗 I think he’s just perfect. But wanted to see if I may be wrong about believing him to be purebred. Thanks for the comment!☺
Just be aware that other people may not have any clue what they are talking about. :D

Baby pup looks like a golden - quite darling too. :)

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
That little nugget is totally a Golden Retriever puppy, and he is adorable. If you got him from a breeder who gave you AKC papers, you can be fairly certain, he is at least pure bred, meaning his mom and dad are Golden Retrievers. You could follow his family "tree" on K9Data.org if you want to see if he has generations of Golden Retrievers behind him.

He's a little darling! Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
He look pure Gold to me....also the fact you have his AKC registration also supports that he is a purebred Golden. That alone is not a 100% guarantee as some are forged or listed with AKC using false information. But, generally...it is a good sign of a full bred Golden.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Thank you, I love him a lot and think he is just perfect the way he is💗 I guess it makes some people feel better to make comments like that. I’ll never understand why.
He is adorable and totally Golden. And I was totally happy to see this comment from you. He should be perfect to his people. :) (Though I cannot imagine how anyone would see that pup and not just die over his cuteness, too).

Reactions: RobbinsRetrievers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for the comment.💗 He is SO loved already!
He is adorable and totally Golden. And I was totally happy to see this comment from you. He should be perfect to his people. :) (Though I cannot imagine how anyone would see that pup and not just die over his cuteness, too).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts