Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since Vito and I moved in with my boyfriend, I feel like Vito and I aren't as bonded as we used to be. He used to follow me everywhere and was essentially attached to my hip. Now, it's all about my boyfriend. Vito follows him, he stays in bed with him until he gets up, acts waaaay more excited to see him than me, etc. I know, it's kind of silly...but it makes me sad!! I feel like I'm not his favorite anymore. :(

I do about 90% of Vito's feedings. I'm the one who walks him, trains with him, takes him to the park. Is there anything else I can do to get our relationship back??

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
It may just be that the BF is still a novelity. My dogs are WAY MORE excited by guests at my house than by me. Might shift back on its own over time. You COULD do things like not allow him to lounge with the BF in bed... but really, I suspect that if you keep up as the primary caregiver, it will change back on its own.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
It is because you are the "Mommy" and he is the "Daddy". I have seen it with all my dogs, (and children).

Daddy is the "fun" one. He will play rough, etc. You are the mommy, and he knows you will always be there for him

Just watch, when he gets scared, upset or sick, it will be YOU that he wants.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
I often feel like the girls love Bart more than me. However, I'm the one they run to when they're scared, I'm the one they depend on to go potty in the night, and I'm the one who's actually home with them every night while their Daddy has to work late.

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
It is because you are the "Mommy" and he is the "Daddy". I have seen it with all my dogs, (and children).

Daddy is the "fun" one. He will play rough, etc. You are the mommy, and he knows you will always be there for him

Just watch, when he gets scared, upset or sick, it will be YOU that he wants.
I agree with this post. I know my girls follow me and love me. However, when my husband, who is gone for weeks at a time shows up, I simply fade into the background. Our 2 year old golden, bailey, gets especially excited. I know its because he plays ruff with her and she gets to mouth him and what-not. It does make you sad sometimes when they act that way, but look on the bright side. It would be more inconvenient if your dog didn't like the boyfriend at all!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Take it as a compliment. When you feed, train, and raise a dog from an infant, you become part of his landscape. You're like gravity; he takes you for granted, but you're a fundamental part of his world.

Your boyfriend is exciting and fun, so Vito's going to think he's really exciting. Enjoy that your boyfriend and dog get along so well, and don't take it personally that he's not showing you how important you are. It's actually pretty healthy for your dog to be relaxed about you so he doesn't develop separation anxiety.

My dogs will sell me up the river for anybody who has a tennis ball. I take it as a sign of their well adjusted personalities.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I agree with the other posts... both my dogs are total mama's boys and I have no doubt about their bond with me.. but they both LOVE Jeff and get wayyy more excited when Jeff gets home from work to see him than they ever do with me, and I'm the one who feeds them when I come home!!

Jeff always gets the excited jumping up and down, has to stop and give them hugs and hold them when he gets home.. I get the "oh you're here.. where's dinner?" LOL

Don't take it personally... :)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
There are probably things you don't see.

I was just recently told by my kids and husband, that about 15 minutes before I am supposed to come home from work, Brady goes right to the door and waits for me, whether I come home on time or not. I always just assumed he spent the whole day by the door and just happened to be there when I got home.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Dont feel bad..that happened to me with Misty.....from day 1 I was the caregiver..food, treats, playing ,walking, training, you name it..it was me..and she would hardly wag her tail when I came home after running errands..but when my fiancee came home from work it was like she hadnt seen him inn years...it hurt me and I thought she didnt like me, but when shes scared or doesnt feel well she comes to me...so I guess what everyone is saying is true...we are Mom and they take us for granted cuz they KNOW we love them and will always be there for them.
Now when I go away for an extended period of time she is soooooo happy to see me..but after the initial happiness its business as usual!
I know exactlu how you are feeling....but its ok......VITO LOVES YOU!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts