Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

My 3 year old female is having a bit of an inconsistency in her heat cycle and I wanted to see if this was normal or if anyone else has experienced this.

She has gone into heat 4 times, each between 5 and 6 months apart. The first 3 times, it was much more pronounced and by the book (i.e swelling, bloody discharge, etc).

The 4th time, she was bred and had a beautiful litter in March (meaning she was in heat in late January).

I expected her to come back into heat in June or July, so I have been watching her very closely. The only time she has been unsupervised with our male was late May/early June when a close family member of mine passed away and our dogs had to be unexpectedly taken care of by a friend. If she had somehow come into heat during that time (it would have been very early for her) and been receptive, she would be due to give birth in just a couple weeks and looks no where near that pregnant.

She has seemed slightly swollen the past week and a half or so, but has not started bleeding. Our male seems more interested in her, but she is not receptive. They have not been left unsupervised either. This would mean that she is 1-2 months late. Is this normal after pregnancy?

I have attached a photo of her vulva for reference. Does it seem swollen or am I going crazy? If not swollen, would it be worth taking her in for a pregnancy check to see if she got pregnant during that short window?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
some girls follow their normal timing, so if bred, would start again 4 mo (if on a 6 mo cycle) after whelp - other girls come in 6 mo after whelping, and others 6 mo after weaning- so after she comes in this time, you will know what her normal is. No, her vulva does not look swollen to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some girls follow their normal timing, so if bred, would start again 4 mo (if on a 6 mo cycle) after whelp - other girls come in 6 mo after whelping, and others 6 mo after weaning- so after she comes in this time, you will know what her normal is. No, her vulva does not look swollen to me.
Thank you for the information! I didn't realize that some girls come back into heat at different times after a litter, I assumed it would follow the same schedule.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts