Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eleanor got spayed on Tuesday and I've had an awful time finding a way to get her to stop licking her incision. I've tried 3 different cone collars and one of the inflatable one's that is supposed to stop her from moving her neck but her face is too long and the bigger one's won't fit her neck. I even put her in a cone collar with the inflatable one around it. I had her wearing a shirt, I've done everything I can think of. Her incision is now leaking a pinkish fluid and looks a little raw and the vet won't be open until tomorrow. I don't know what to do and I have to go back to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Cones are supposed to be chosen based on the length of the dog's muzzle. Then you assemble it to the right circumference for their neck (that is adjustable). I have never had an e-collar not fit when those steps are followed. You have to secure the collar to her with, most likely, her collar, or whatever the vet sent you home with (length of gauze?).
If I read correctly the second time, it's the inflatable ones which won't fit. What was the problem with the 3 different cones? Were any of them clear? Sometimes that makes all the difference.
Based on the serous discharge you are describing, she must be kept away from that incision lest she open it up or cause an infection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got her cone from petsmart and she's currently in a large, I'll go back and pick up and extra large and see if that works better. It is clear but they have some padding around the neck area. The inflatable collar is the Zen Collar and is attached to her collar and is also a size large. My problem is that her nose is so long that she can (just barely but enough) touch her incision but again I'll go pick up an extra large one to see if that works better.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
Make sure the cone is attached to a buckle collar to secure it in place. Put her in a crate where she can't get turned around and apply some alcohol to the incision until you can get her back to the vet.
She's not going to be happy but it will keep her from opening that incision.

·
Registered
480 Posts
apply some alcohol to the incision until you can get her back to the vet.
She's not going to be happy but it will keep her from opening that incision.
I must strenuously disagree with putting alcohol on the incision! It will hurt like you wouldn't believe (have you ever used alcohol-based hand sanitizer on a hand with a paper cut or hangnail?) and will draw her attention to it. It is also damaging to the tissues you described as raw. Just make sure it is clean -- a clean washcloth in warm water should suffice.
But I do agree that you should get it looked at just in case more treatment is needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eleanor is doing MUCH better. I went over her incision lightly with warm water and got her an extra large cone which is working. I gave her some benadryl for the itching which seemed to work wonders. Her incision is not weeping anymore and its not as pink as it was yesterday. I took the day off of work just to keep an eye on her to make sure it stays this way!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts