Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am laying on couch because it's all I can manage right now. Started with muscle spasm in back after Thanksfiving. Went away with traditional care only to return last week. Am tired of feeling bent over and achy so am heading to see doctor. Poof Tucker did not get to dog park today--couldn't bear the thought of dealing with him on a leash, eve using prong collar. Gave him a bully stick and I think he's napping now. Tess is keeping my lap warm.

Send me good thoughts. Ill health would be a disaster for me right now. Need to launch a concerted job search in early January. Have been taking muscle relaxants and they're giving me terrible nightmares.

This whole thing is really humming me out. Pardon the spelling please. Working on iPhone.

·
Registered
320 Posts
oh no, that sounds miserable, I sure hope the Doctor is helpful and gets you back to feeling good!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Back pain is horrid. I'm praying they have a good solution to your pain.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Boy - that sounds like my life for the last month.:(

I've been on muscle relaxers(skelaxin) and pain meds(Tramadol) for a week and a half now and one of those is giving me very vivid (and sometimes unpleasant) dreams too. It hasn't helped much, but it does help at times.

I started PT last Tuesday and it is working.:crossfing They used a TENS machine on my back and neck and it helped a lot. I had my second treatment yesterday morning. That one involved exercises as well as the TENS unit. It caused some pain yesterday and last night, but my back/neck definitely feel better today. I also had a massage on Wednesday and have another one scheduled for next wednesday. Busy week - spine clinic on Monday, PT on Tuesday, Massage on Wednesday and PT on Thursday. Hopefully that will be enough to have me on the mend!

I did wait for over 2 weeks to go to the doctor. I was getting massages and trying heat/cold packs. He said he thought the muscled relaxers would have worked better if I'd come in sooner........

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Oh no, sending healing thoughts your way. I suffer with degenerative disks in my neck so know how devasting it can be. What has helped me in the past while waiting for the muscles to settle and time to pass is accupuncture. I hope you get some relief soon...

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
OK, I'm in back pain myself--same symptoms! It's off and on, more on this week. I guess I need to drag myself to the orthopedic guy as soon as I can. I've been using epsom salt baths, feeling guilty for filling the tub since we are on water restrictions due to the drought. I also am thinking about acupuncture too.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back from dr visit. Took hip x-ray. I have arthritis in left hip; had THR on right side a few years back. I think compensating for left hip is causing imbalance and therefore muscle spasm. Dr seems to agree. He said I can up my Advil intake while it's being sorted out. Should have X-ray results very soon.

Feeling bit better now. Was feeling very emotional earlier. Seems like everything I've tried to do for Xmas has ended up making me hurt.

Anyway, world won't end if every little thing doesn't get done!

Dogs have been in crates since late morning. Picking up daughter in an hour. She'll leash them and load them into car then we'll head off to dog park. It's gorgeous here--clear sky, crisp air.

Thanks for good thoughts everyone.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Glad you are feeling better....do watch how much ibuprophen you take, it can lead to other issues. Wish you were a bit closer; could take Tucker out for you. I am glad you have your daughter to help...

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I've got the cervical vertebrae problems too--and often wake up with numb hands. A couple of years ago I would wake with full arm numbness so it is a little better now. I try to be really careful about how I lift things and have really cut down on gardening and haven't had as much trouble as I used to.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Hope you start feeling better soon. I have fibromyalgia and both stress and cold weather make it flare. Hugs.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello all. I seem to be doing much better, but I'm trying really hard not to bend over much, and not to pick things up from the floor, no matter how small or light. My handyman came over today and put up the outside lights for me and moved a heavy object into the garage. My spirits are better--feel like things are under control, and having less pain helps that a lot!

I seem to have more or less mastered getting the pinch collar on and off Tucker, so I can walk him again. He's been helping me enjoy my evening, along with little Tess. Daughter is out Xmas shopping with my niece. I've been catching up on my favorite recorded TV shows. So far Tucker has sniffed around the tree but doesn't seem interested in eating it or the ornaments. :)

Doing OK out here in California. I hope you are all savoring the best of the season.
:wave: :smooch:

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
So of course just after I wrote on Friday that I hadn't had any back trouble in ages, on Saturday I twisted my back as I set my cat down and pulled something between my shoulder blade and spine.
I couldn't turn my head or move my arm without wincing pain and it hurt to take a deep breath.
I, like you, could not afford to have back trouble right now. So, I decided not to nurse it, but immediately did the reverse stretch twist I mentioned 2 days ago, and kept stretching and moving all day (which really hurt). I took an Advil in the afternoon, and today it is almost better. I went and swam laps today and did a little jogging and walking too.
Tonight, twisting my head to check as I back up my car still is a bit rough but otherwise I think I have it licked.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I lost a few discs 2 yrs ago, so much pain (disk fell on my sciatic nerve) and found the teeter inversion table the best. Dr's gave me NAIDS and I used the table faithfully twice a day. Was able to stop the meds in a month but still spend about 15 min each day on the table. I don't tilt all the way down, just enough so everything moves towards my head. Takes the pressure off and found I can put a heating pad under my back while on the table for a bit more relaxation. Table was/is a lifesaver to me.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Tonight, twisting my head to check as I back up my car still is a bit rough but otherwise I think I have it licked.
I used to twist my head too doing this and my hubby would tell me "Trust Your Mirrors" LOL... now I drive a school bus and I've learned to trust my mirrors, sure is great not twisting into a pretzel just to back vehicles up. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts