Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We lost our loving pet, Pumpkin yesterday. He was 12 years old. Celebrated his 12th birthday last month, Sept. 18th.
The last 2 months was the hardest for me. I knew the end of his golden years was coming to an end. He was limping. Unable to stand independently while eating. He eats and then walks around and goes back to eating until the bowl is emptied. It was the first sign something was really wrong.
I got him at 8 weeks old just right after I graduated from college. A companion I was ready for out of college. Picked him up in Peach Orchard surrounded by his parents, brothers & sisters. The first night I brought him home was Halloween night. I decided to name him "Pumpkin". He lived with 4 of my sorority sisters and we all loved taking care of him when we lived together.
A few months later, moved to Minnesota & got a job. My family at home instantly loved him and welcomed him to the family. Their first meeting was at the airport when they came to pick Pumpkin & I up. He was such an excited puppy, wanting to get out of the crate. The moment he got out, he ran around us and leaving a stream of pee on the airport carpet as we walk to the car.
I married in 2000 to Scott. We had a son, that came to the world 7 weeks early. The first few weeks at home with our son, he was protective of our son. Laying next to him by his bassinette & sleeping with us at nights.
Then a daughter came 3 years later and he continued to be such a loving dog to us protecting all of us under the roof.
I am Deaf. He was trained to be a hearing dog. A brilliant dog he was. Passed with flying colors. He knew I was Deaf and he always came up to me and hit my hand with his wet nose for attention or to inform me of the sounds (ie: doorbell, bed alarm, and of course to be petted and give him love).
The last few weeks was a very, very sad one for me. Pumpkin started to decrease w/ his daily activity (walking with me, tail wagging, and coming with me to school to get my kids - he loves coming with because he is always surrounded by many kids sitting in circle to pet him). Took him to the vet last Friday (was quite a hard week because I was in denial and not wanting to be told of the facts of what was wrong with Pumpkin but it was ... time) the vet ran tests and told me he had cancer. He was losing weight and he just didn't look too well). Decided to put him on predisone for a few days to help ease his pain. Brought him home with us. Of course he perked up and looked ok. We did make an appointment for him to be put to sleep Monday, Oct 5th. But the entire weekend was a very emotional weekend for me. We did take him with us out to the Family Fun Fest Oct 3. A wagon ride. He enjoyed it.
He seemed ok Sunday night and I decided to wait and postpone our final day to a later date.
But Monday night he went downhill. He struggled to go outside to do his business and then at midnight, back outside with me. He walked around and then sat down. It was raining and it was the moment I had to accept and know he's ready.
I did not watch the ending of the Monday night football but laid down on the carpet with Pumpkin in my bedroom. Cried and comforted him. UNTIL, he turned around and looked at my eyes & licked my tears from my cheeks. I knew it was TIME. He told me.
Called the vet and made a home-visit appointment for him to be put to sleep here at home, peacefully. Of course, the last few hours was the HARDEST. Set up his doggy pillow, his pawprints and his favorite duck by our fireplace - his final resting spot. Kids came home from school and we were together to be with him until he passed away.
He died peacefully in my arms.
You are SO MUCH missed by us, especially me. I love you PUMPKIN!!!!!!
------------------------------
Yesterday, the 1st day since his passing was the most difficult day I've had. Woke up not tripping over Pumpkin by my bed like I've always did in the AMs & him not there at his spot to observe the kids getting ready for school. Then after my husband & the kids left - felt emptiness. Went upstairs to my bedroom and cry. I knew Pumpkin wouldn't like seeing me sad. I opened my laptop and looked for pet loss websites especially for GRs. I came across this website and felt at ease reading the pet loss stories and instantly signed up as I felt so much comfort from you here. Thank you for welcoming me. Here are some more pictures I added. I am very thankful I was able to print Pumpkin's paw prints the day before he died (it was not planned since I thought I would have a few more days with him). It was ready yesterday and I slated it under our tree at the front of our house. A spot I can sit and look back to good memories of us together. Am currently waiting for his ashes to be returned and then I will feel some kind of closure.
Thank you again for all the heartfelt messages you left.

Attachments

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
What a beautiful tribute to Pumpkin! I am so sorry for your loss and hope all of those wonderful memories that you have of him will help lessen the pain over the coming days. When you feel up to sharing, we would love to hear more stories and see more pictures.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
I am so sorry you found us due to Pumpkin passing away. He was a gorgeous and regal boy. You can really tell there is a special love between you in the pictures. May your memories and the love you shared help to heal your pain.

Run Free Sweet Pumpkin

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Those are such beautiful pictures. What a sweet, loving doggie. I am so sorry for your loss and hope that very soon all the happy memories fill your heartache. Bless you.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm so glad you're here. Many of us have had to say goodbye and know the pain and heartache. There will always be shoulder to lean or cry on and ears to listen here. You can see the love and gentleness in your sweet Pumpkin just by the pictures, and the bond you and your family had with him. That will never, ever leave you. Godspeed sweet Pumpkin... you are very much loved.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
What a loving tribute to such a special boy. I can see that he was so loved by your entire family and especially you. I am so sorry for your loss. Godspeed dear Pumpkin! And hugs to you for strength.....

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like pumpkin had a fantastic life! It never seems long enough, I know.

·
Ripley & Levi's too!!
720 Posts
RIP sweet pumpkin - he sounded like a very very special friend you had!!! Beautiful family also. Hugs to you.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
RIP Sweet Pumkin, you are still loved.

I am so sorry to hear you lost your Pumpkin, and hope that the wonderful memories will see you through the coming days as your tears turn to smiles of remembrance.

·
Kathy mom to Jasper
807 Posts
RIP sweet boy. Play hard at the bridge. I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
217 Posts
What a beautiful family and loving life you gave Pumpkin. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure my best girl and all the others have welcomed Pumpkin at the bridge.

We went through the same thing in August. It's hard. Pumpkin will live in your heart forever.

Godspeed.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It is just so darn hard to say goodbye, even when we know it is the right thing to do.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
So very sorry

I am so very sorry about your Pumpkin. You know that he will see you at the Rainbow Bridge and he's probably playing with my Gizmo and Munchkin right now!

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. You can tell in your writing how much you love him - he knows. Play hard sweet Pumpkin.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
What a beautiful story, it makes me happy that you, your family and Pumpkin had such a wonderful life together but at the same time there are tears.

Thank you for sharing your story and pictures. I'm so sorry for your loss.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts