Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3weeks ago I got a golden puppy. She was 6 weeks at the time.She is nippy,&constantly barks and growls at me. My hands are covered in scratches&bite marks. I have heard that if a puppy is sold before 8 weeks they haven't learned bite inhibition. So this might be the reason that no matter what I do she doesn't comprehend that biting hurts.The problem is that at the moment I'm living with my grandparents (until I go back to school and into my new apartment in the fall) &they constantly keep putting the puppy in the crate which kills me because she needs to be able to roam free and play in the house (under supervision of course).I have a Pom who is the most laid back loving dog in the world & when he was a puppy they were NEVER like that with him,their excuse is that they dont like my new puppy's personality.So should I sell her and get a different golden.What sparked this idea is that my sister purchased a golden doodle and she is as sweet as can be. I feel as if my dog is too much for me to handle.I'm just so conflicted between keeping my puppy and trying to get her to stop being so strong willed and bitty or getting a new puppy and hoping that it has a better disposition. If you were in my shoes what would you do? Thank you!

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
it gets better, if you have the patience.
get her and you into classes, they help.
I'm still getting bitten and mine is 8 months...lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am ready for a puppy? I've had a raised many dogs in my life because I do rescue missions & have for years..its just this puppy is too bold to use the excuse that she is "acting like a puppy"

·
gino forever
104 Posts
you shouldn't have gotten a dog if you wern't ready yet. but i don't think you should give it away just because of the temperament. it's a puppy! be patient. but if you think you can't do it because you aren't ready. you should contact it's breeder.

he didn't made the choice to come into your family, you did. so you should think about him too!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
so you are asking if you should sell your puppy who is bitey and mouthy, like all golden retriever puppies are at that age, and get a new golden retriever puppy who in all probability will act the same at the same age of your puppy? If you are looking for the perfect puppy who doesn't nip, chew, mouth and otherwise cause your arms and legs look like you have been in a war, a golden is not for you. They do grow out of it, it takes time, patience, consistency in training and did I mention, patience? My newest puppy is 7 months old, he is my sixth golden, and he was the mouthiest puppy I have ever had. There were times when I was standing out in the freezing cold at 4 a.m. when he was hanging onto my pajama bottoms I asked myself, what on earth did I think I was doing? Somewhere around the 3 to 4 month age, though, it occurred to me that he hadn't left marks on either my husband or myself in several days, and I knew we were over the hump. I don't know how to advise you on your question, but please understand, your puppy is just doing what golden puppies do. Don't expect a new puppy to be any different.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
To the original OP, sorry but you DO sound like you are not ready and you do sound like you are fast to give up.
I would have never been able to give any of my dogs up, even after just one day with them, but I think that is also a maturity issue.
Contact the breeder, let them have the dog back, enjoy your summer, go back to school.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Be patient. Skipper was like that too and he's mellowed out with the biting and has the sweetest disposition. I hope you don't sell her as many young puppies are like that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel as through everyone is misunderstanding why I am asking this...it isnt because I'm not ready or just my puppy is a little nippy. Its because of her disposition. I love her and dont want to get rid of her but i feel as through it is a last resort in this very difficult situation.

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Our Bridget is 8 months old, if she gets over excited, she still jumps and bites me, she thinks it's a great game.
But thank goodness, it has decreased and only happens once a week.

What I would do, if I could do it all over again, was when she bit, I would gently grab her muzzle and tell her NO.

have patience, you're going to have a great dog, when this is all over.
At least that's what I'M planning on.....:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am aware of how old the puppy is and how long I have her. I've been working with her and he learned how to sit and lay when i tell her to do so with either hand signals or when I say so verbally. Maturity is not the issue...I'm actually at school for pre vet. The bottom line is its been hell for those three weeks.

·
33 Posts
Get her into puppy obedience classes! Make sure you call ahead and let them know she isn't up to date yet on her vaccinations. Most places are really good about keeping the area clean or will offer private lessons. You can't say giving her up is the last resort until you've tried everything. Also, get her nails clipped if they are leaving bad scratch marks.

One thing to remember... She isn't nipping because of her disposition. Puppies nip/play like that with their litter mates/pack. So, don't take it personally and show her in other ways you are the alpha (you enter/exit doorways first, teach her "wait," etc.). Also, make sure she is getting enough physical and mental stimulation/exercise during her awake times. Start teaching her tricks/basic commands with clicker training. Goldens love to learn! :)

Here's my best piece of advice that has worked Great with Lucy (now 16 weeks). Make sure she has PLENTY of chew toys (soft fabric material, old tshirts tied once in a knot, rubber toys, etc.). When she starts to nip, firmly say "No nip," hand her one of her toys and as soon as she starts chewing on it say "Get your toy" and praise her. If she still insists on nipping you, get up off the floor and say, "No nip. All done." and walk away from her.

The worst thing you can do when she is nipping is punish her, hold her muzzle, etc. She doesn't yet know what you expect from her and it's a natural behavior which makes it that much more difficult for her to understand.

It takes total consistency and patience so you need to make sure your grandparents are on the same page. Also, we got Lucy at 12 weeks old and we've had her for four weeks now and there are still nights where I feel exhausted and confused. I don't think anyone here should be making you feel guilty for those feelings. It's a lot of work and totally understandable! Just know that the first month is the absolute hardest and each day will get a bit easier (with consistent training and patience). Don't feel anger towards her, she can sense that. Stay calm and patient.

Good luck! I know she'll be an amazing pup one day and I'd hate for you to miss out on that.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Rileah's Mom
534 Posts
Kahlalenay, you asked what I would do in this situation. I would keep the puppy and read every post about biting in the puppy section of this forum to get some tips on what to do to stop the biting.

Take a deep breath and think about what you asked us. Was that the question that you really wanted to ask or are you asking for help with your situation. If you want help you have come to the right place. This is a stage your puppy is going through. I was thinking the same thing as you are when I went through this with my girl. I thought I had the meanest worst puppy on the planet...then I came here and knew I wasn't alone. I read the puppy section nonstop and found a lot of great tips, some worked some didn't and then I tried things on my own, some worked some didn't. Finally Rileah grew out of it or I did something right and I had the most wonderful puppy I could have ever asked for. I invested a ton of time and tears but I would do it all over again. If you want help because you love your puppy everyone on here will help you through it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a golden, he is 5 now and he is wonderful. So the breed is also not the issue. But thank you to everyone who has given me real and supportive advice!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I am aware of how old the puppy is and how long I have her. I've been working with her and he learned how to sit and lay when i tell her to do so with either hand signals or when I say so verbally. Maturity is not the issue...I'm actually at school for pre vet. The bottom line is its been hell for those three weeks.
I think your expectations for this puppy are too high, at this very young age anyway. She is nothing but a bundle of nerves and feelings right now. She is still trying to figure out where her mom went, where she is at and who you are. Yes, the first few weeks can truly be hell with a pup. Like I said before, if you expect anything different from another golden puppy, you are setting yourself up for disappointment again. Like others have said, maybe it would be best to contact her breeder, and if that isn't possible, maybe a rescue if you truly don't think you can live with her any longer. And please, before you decide to get another golden puppy, read thru all the threads in this forum on goldens. They are wonderful dogs, but certainly don't come like a lot of people expect, perfect and without issues to work thru.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
This makes me think you've already made up your mind. Contact either the breeder you got her from or a rescue. DO NOT SELL YOUR PUPPY TO STRANGERS. Even tho she's not working out well with you, you don't want her to go to a horrible home either.

I am ready for a puppy? I've had a raised many dogs in my life because I do rescue missions & have for years..its just this puppy is too bold to use the excuse that she is "acting like a puppy"

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.