Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
So how did you change the behavior? Was that when she was young, did she outgrow it as she matured?
I didn't and she didn't.
I was never able to totally eliminate her excursions to the other side. She probably did it more when she got older than when she was young...I have no idea whether it was trainer (me) induced (probably) or just something that she decided to start doing on her own.
In attempts to fix it, I would regularly give her long, flat throws to help keep her on the good side of the gunner, but that didn't cure her.
One important note, that gal had fierce independent streak, which regularly showed up at trials.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I didn't and she didn't.
I was never able to totally eliminate her excursions to the other side. She probably did it more when she got older than when she was young...I have no idea whether it was trainer (me) induced (probably) or just something that she decided to start doing on her own.
In attempts to fix it, I would regularly give her long, flat throws to help keep her on the good side of the gunner, but that didn't cure her.
One important note, that gal had fierce independent streak, which regularly showed up at trials.

Must be a female thing.... 0:)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hi! "Backside the gun" means to go on the opposite side of the thrower from where the bird was thrown. So if the gunner through the bird to the right, the dog that "backsides the gun" hunts around on the left side of the gunner. Shows they clearly did not mark and/or remember the bird well. I'm convinced there's more to it, in the psyche of the dog, in some instances, because I've seen very good marking dogs do this habitually.
Ah....that makes sense. So far, Winx is pretty good at hunting where she's supposed to. We are still very new to it though.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts