Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Jamie
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If anyone is curious in following field programs that either import semen from Europe or have actually imported dogs these are who I'd suggest:

1. Old Oak Kennel (MN) - She owns some really fun frozen from Euro males and she actually imported a male this year, and had imported a female last year.
2. Rio Ranch Golden Retrievers (Canada) - She will do breedings using frozen, I don't think she's directly imported before.
3. Watermark Retrievers (TX) - It's been a while since they bred to a foreign pedigree, but some of their girls have foreign dogs behind them.
4. Golden Plains Golden (NE) - She bred to a Euro dog last year and kept a female.
5. Origin Retrievers (OK) - He imported a FTW bitch and just last year imported a male puppy that he intends to campaign in field trials here.

· Robin
362 Posts
@HaliaGoldens @Emmdenn @LJack - If a dog is imported from Europe before 2, are European clearances sufficient? Or is it standard practice to follow the rules of the country the dog resides in? If a dog is over two when imported do people redo clearances here?

The import of field dogs is a relatively new trend but I know European imports on the show side are not new at all so figured I'd ask you three!
I have imported a few puppies from Western Europe over the past 18 years, and many breedings of frozen semen. If importing a puppy or young dog under two (even if some clearances were done over there after the age of one year), I would still obtain full OFA clearances here because the dog will be residing/competing/breeding in this country. If I’m importing semen to use with my bitch to breed a litter, I accept the European clearances done to their code of ethics (because the stud dog lives there.) I have, however, asked a breeder recently to get echos on his dogs before sending semen over, just for my peace of mind. He was happy to do it. If the breeder/owner is someone who has mutual respect and who operates reputably, it’s a perfectly reasonable thing to agree upon.
Regarding the man quoted in the original post, he seems a little confused about the role of AKC vs. GRCA. He said he should get a special provision from the AKC to allow for breeding of dogs from other countries who were cleared over there, but were considered underage for our standards in the US. The AKC is only the registering body. They don’t care about health clearances at all. The purpose of the photos, the DNA profile, etc. that have to be done in order to register a litter with a foreign parent is just to prove that the dog in question is a purebred. It’s only the GRCA that maintains the code of ethics about what is considered ethical breeding of goldens, and what the minimum health clearance requirements are for responsible breeding.

· Registered
3,791 Posts
Two reasons for breeding a dog under two years of age, ignorance and money. Money is the reason in this discussion. Start at one year old and get one more litter of 5 - 10 pups @ $3500 - $5000 before throwing the bitch away.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Two reasons for breeding a dog under two years of age, ignorance and money. Money is the reason in this discussion. Start at one year old and get one more litter of 5 - 10 pups @ $3500 - $5000 before throwing the bitch away.
The dog in question is a male. The owner thinks it's fine because he has euro clearances.

· Premium Member
4,980 Posts
This dog in question: Lanlwyd Cepheus is out of a stud called: GB FTch Think Twice Zero to Hero. He was bred by Laura Lazzaretto. Laura is very active in the Euro/UK field trials and breeds a few litters. I think her dogs are great. The dog she bred: Think Twice Zero to Hero is owned by Nathan Laffy in the UK. Nathan has done a fabulous job putting "Chance" in UK field trials. Nathan bred his boy to a girl that produced Lanlwyd Cepheus. Anyway if I had a nice girl here in the US, I'd be very interested in breeding to Chance. Now this Lanlwyd Cepheus that I see nothing in. I do not know if this dog has competed anywhere. I don't know Ann Williams that bred him, I do know that her dogs do compete in field trials.

Here's an interesting thing I've noticed about Euro/UK golden retriever - FIELD type, their owners aren't big on titles. If you look on k9data, you will come to the conclusion very quickly that they do nothing with their dogs. Which isn't at all the truth. For whatever reason either their titles are extremely difficult to obtain or they don't care to list their titles. But if you follow any of the Euro/UK field trial people, you'll find that their dogs are very actively competing and doing well. So for anyone interested in a field bred golden from the other side of the pond, investigate far more than just k9data for title information.

As for health clearances, one of the most irritating thing about many owners of UK/Euro goldens is a lack of heart clearances and NCL testing. Absolutely bugs the heck out of me. Including "Chance", he has no heart clearance or NCL testing.

Just my 2 cents on field pedigrees from UK/Euro lines. This dog Lanlwyd Cepheus is being promoted by several breeders right now as this great dog. It's too bad there's nothing to back up that he's a great dog other than he's from the UK.

Reactions: nolefan

· Registered
2,147 Posts
As for health clearances, one of the most irritating thing about many owners of UK/Euro goldens is a lack of heart clearances and NCL testing. Absolutely bugs the heck out of me. Including "Chance", he has no heart clearance or NCL testing.

Just my 2 cents on field pedigrees from UK/Euro lines. This dog Lanlwyd Cepheus is being promoted by several breeders right now as this great dog. It's too bad there's nothing to back up that he's a great dog other than he's from the UK.
Chance has NCL testing. He's clear.

· Premium Member
4,980 Posts
If anyone is curious in following field programs that either import semen from Europe or have actually imported dogs these are who I'd suggest:

4. Golden Plains Golden (NE) - She bred to a Euro dog last year and kept a female.
Golden Plains bred to “Chance” the dog that is the sire of the dog we are talking about. I’m really curious about how this pup the breeder held back does. I’m excited to see some variety out there.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Thank you, his k9data doesn’t show that NCL testing. Owner should update when he gets a chance.

This is where I saw it, kind of odd to not put it on k9data?

· Registered
Ramses, golden retriever bred in France 😆
762 Posts
I think that's because they generally just input the results or health clearances in the UK kennel club site or the BVA site. For my golden, his dam's titles are also not listed for her on k9 either - she does look like a complete blank but they are listed in the French kennel club etc. Seems to me that this is a recurring theme for the UK/Euro pedigrees but the details and health verifications should be there - in their own country databases at the very least.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts