Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the journey of finding a breeder for two or three years down the road has come down to one year. And still no luck. I recently stumbled upon two breeders in Brazil though that I really like. www.goldensunshine.com.br and Home but Golden Sunshine is my first pick. My question is is importing from Brazil to the States really duable? How expensive is it? Also I don't know how to translate the hip grades, does anyone know how all those work? Also what health clearances should I expect from a Brazilian breeder? Thanks so much, Golden:)

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I really think it is unnecesary to import a golden retriever puppy from Brazil. I honestly would share your location or do a search and you should be able to find a puppy locally or within a reasonable driving distance and for probably less than puppy + flight + taxes to import one from S.A.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your profile says your in the US, so why on earth are you looking for a Golden in Brazil? Just curious.
Because every breeder I have looked into in the U.S. something didn't work out, i.e.. breeder was line breeding, didn't have clearances done, sire or dam had a fair rating, or just nothing really stuck me about their dogs, etc. And I really like the look of their goldens, I fell in love with their looks and eveything about them. I would be open to a U.S. breeder with dog like that though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"probably less than puppy + flight + taxes to import one from S.A."
Do you know an estimate of what it would cost?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Some of the dogs on the web sites look like they have very long necks, is that just how they are groomed so it looks that long or is that standard or ??

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,697 Posts
Here is the Golden Retriever Club of America's Puppy Referral link-

You can do a search by Region or State. A list of Golden Retriever Clubs will come up so you can contact them for a Breeder Referral or a list of Breeder's they recommend will be listed.

Golden Retriever Puppies: Golden Retriever Club of America (GRCA)

If it were me looking for a pup, I would prefer to buy one from a Breeder in the US instead of importing because there are many wonderful breeders in the U.S.

Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
There are some lovely dogs in Brazil, but you will need to be very careful as far as clearances. I do not believe that all the breeders there do the 4 basic clearances on breeding dogs, as there is nothing close to the GRCA in Brazil. Also, unfortunately there is a history of some (not all) US breeders selling dogs who did not pass their clearances in the US to breeders abroad. Personally, I think you can find dogs who are just as nice in the US.

I don't understand your comment about line-breeding. Virtually every good breeder I know does some line-breeding. Done properly, it is an excellent tool.

And a Fair rating on hips means no DJD (degenerative joint disease) present. I will take a dog with a Fair rating and a pedigree loaded with Goods over a dog with an Excellent rating from a pedigree loaded with Borderline and dysplastic dogs. Vertical pedigrees on k9data are great for this.

I have to think you have not been looking in the right places.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Because every breeder I have looked into in the U.S. something didn't work out, i.e.. breeder was line breeding, didn't have clearances done, sire or dam had a fair rating, or just nothing really stuck me about their dogs, etc. And I really like the look of their goldens, I fell in love with their looks and eveything about them. I would be open to a U.S. breeder with dog like that though.
There is nothing wrong with line breeding IF the breeder knows their pedigrees and the dogs being line bred upon were healthy and lived into their teens. It depends on the breeder and the dogs. As a lay person, automatically judging a breeding because there is some line breeding is unfair without asking the breeder why they chose the pairing, etc. All golden retrievers are line bred, they all started from the same dogs. I would expect the dogs from S.A. are very much line bred like some of the dogs in the US. Pet people may not even notice a line breeding in a pedigree because you are unaware that, for example, Ch. Faera's Future Classic is littermate to Ch. Faera's The Keepsake Kid. Both may appear in a given pedigree but one wouldn't necessarily pick it up but a person "in" the fancy would. So, that was my long way of saying- ASK, as the breeder has a reason for their breedings. They KNOW their pedigrees and they should be following the GRCA's code of ethics for clearances. I am not sure that all of Brazil's breeders do this as they don't have a body like the GRCA.

Fair ratings on the OFA website are acceptable and there should be no reason to exclude a breeding based on this. Fair means there is no degenerative joint disease present and the conformation of the hip is passing.

·
the party's crashing us
4,367 Posts
Geeze if clearances and no line-breeding were a priority in my puppy search, Brazil would be one of the last places I'd look.
There are a number of US breeders who actively import or send/receive semen from Brazilian dogs (whose pedigrees are heavily influenced by American kennels in the first place). There are quite a few in Florida (geography).
To be honest the dogs aren't really my style so I'm not sympathetic to the temptation.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Geeze if clearances and no line-breeding were a priority in my puppy search, Brazil would be one of the last places I'd look.
I can't say I disagree with this. I have seen some of the dogs and they are beautiful, but they do not have the same COE for breeding as the GRCA. If you are concerned about a "fair" rating ..... goodness, no clearances is much worse than an OFA fair rating! I would be very careful with that part of it and do your research.......

Plus, there are people in the US breeding dogs with lines from South American lines. I'm not sure why you wouldn't go to those breeders first, given that the American breeders will be the ones with clearances on the dogs...... but even then, you need to remember that clearances on parents do not make up for a vertical pedigree lacking most, if not all, clearances. I would be much more nervous about that than a dog with a solid pedigree of health clearances with a fair hip rating.

Blue was shown here in California a bit, I remember him because he was the same age as my Jack at a show in Palm Springs a couple years back. I don't think they ever finished him here for some reason though and I don't see a listing for any clearances on him in the OFA website....which is odd to me considering he was in the US for at least awhile.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I am not sure where you are from, but I bet we could point you in the right direction. There are many reputable breeders with beautiful dogs here in the states. Plus, why would you want your breeder all the way in another country?

Reactions: princess heidi

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
With all the Goldens in the U.S. I can't imagine that you couldn't find a very good breeder with a great dog to satisfy you. What are your plans for the dog, will you be competing or is it going to be a family pet? Have you thought about what it would be like if some problem developed, to be dealing with a breeder that far away, in a different language, with different standards and different laws covering your contract. Without even considering the cost, which I'm guessing is considerable, for me there would have to be a very compelling reason to ship a puppy that distance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are a number of US breeders who actively import or send/receive semen from Brazilian dogs (whose pedigrees are heavily influenced by American kennels in the first place). There are quite a few in Florida (geography).
To be honest the dogs aren't really my style so I'm not sympathetic to the temptation.
Could you give me a list of a few breeders that have Brazilian goldens?

·
Registered
133 Posts
there are fantastic breeders right here in the middle west area.
if u got to the breeders threads... u will have to click around and u will find more than a handful of fantastic breeders. FANTASTIC

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm going to answer your question with some facts about animal travel by air.
While I worked in cargo for an international carrier - I can tell you it's very difficult for shipping fur babies - or for that matter any live cargo.
Please keep in mind that the travel is long, you need to arrange a customs broker on the point of entry into the US. If paperwork is not correct or incomplete - your pup may have to stay in a kennel until the paperwork is complete.

And it depends on the carrier involved. It's not going to be cheap by any means. I know that some carriers will charge a flat rate - but you would need to call around and find out A)Schedules from Brazil to your local airport - B)arrange the best schedule and call the airline involved with the best schedule and least amount of airplane transfers C)make sure that all the paperwork is correct. The last thing you want is a pup that is stuck in a kennel at your expense while the paperwork/docs are figured out. And the stress on the puppy?
Me? If I was so keen on a dog from another country - I would fly there and fly it back myself. Less stress and worry.
And probably cheaper and you could actually see the pups and get a vacation out of it.
Just a few things to ponder in addition to the cost - you have to think of other things rather than just money. Puppies are alive; and cargo, while a great way to transport items point a to point b. I would be very hesitant to send a puppy on that long a journey. What if the puppy is sick when it arrives? There are so many unanswered questions that haven't been addressed.
I have no problem with domestic air travel - I was always the dog/puppy walker on long layovers / transfers in my city!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would definitely consider a breeder in the States who breeds dogs from Brazilian lines if any one can give me kennel names.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Also may I ask what is it about the looks of Brazillian dogs that you like compared to the US dogs? I think they are pretty similar, except (in my opinion), they groom differently which makes them look completely different.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts