Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 week old male, I got him a week ago. He started with semi firm stools the first day then it went to diarrhea. I took him to the vet two days into it, they didn't find anything on the fecal and gave me some antidiarrheal meds. They said he looked great otherwise! He continues to have loose stools, I tried switching from diamond puppy food to blue wilderness. I put about 20% new food to start tonight, his poop was worse after that meal. He also is a very restless napper/sleeper which may just be him, he moves frequently and breaths fast/hard sometimes. His nose has varied from cool and runny to warm and dry. I took his temp last night it was 100.8, which is normal. He goes back to the vet in week for his next round of shot, but I may call tomorrow. I was just wanting some input, I am a first time golden owner.
Thank you
Brooklyn

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Give a spoonful of canned pumpkin, not the pie filling with his meal. I had the same issue with my puppy. I blamed it on shots, her eating my big dogs food, etc. Finally I realized it was the food I was giving her. After eight weeks of dealing with soft poops, it cleared up within twenty hours of changing her food.

I think Blue Wilderness is known for being rich and causing bowel issues for dogs. I switched my puppy to large breed puppy Earthborn.

·
Kristy
9,838 Posts
I'm so sorry your puppy is worrying you. You are smart to be very cautious with him, he is a very little baby. Absolutely have him seen if you are concerned, it's better to be overly cautious with such a young puppy. I do have to ask why you switched food now and if you discussed it with the vet. Changing food can upset his system even if he's doing well. Also, have you let your breeder know what is going on and asked for input?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had switched because i didn't think prolonging the agony with the other wouldn't be best. I forgot to mention he's gassy as well. I do think I should have gone with my gut with wellness or natural balance instead of blue. I did not consult my vet, I probably should have. I did research quite a bit before I changed though. I will probably give them a call tomorrow.

I may give that pumpkin idea a try.

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
Ask your vet to check his fecal for coccidia and giardia. They are intestinal parasites that can be hard to find on fecal exams.

I do think Blue can cause problems for a lot of puppies. But, I would be very hesitant to change his food again this soon. That could create even more problems. Give him at least 3 to 4 weeks on one food, if his stool doesn't firm up in that time, then you could consider changing his food again.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Blue is often too rich for puppies. You might try a more conventional food, like Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy of Purina Pro Plan.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Our puppy's stool was very soft (not diarrhea though) and he was gassy on Purina when we first got him, so we switched him right away to Taste of the Wild puppy. The change was instant. Hopefully you find something that works for your pup! :)

As far as the nose goes, our boy's nose goes from warm and dry to runny. I was really concerned about how often he has a runny nose, since he is my first puppy, but the vet said that as long as it is clear, it isn't a problem. She said it most likely is affected by temperature change (coming in to the a/c after playing outside, cuddling on me and getting too warm). Of course, it could be a sign of something else in other cases, but she said to just keep an eye on it in case it ever becomes anything other than clear.

Also, Toby is such a restless sleeper that it scared me in the first week!! He was sleeping on my lap and started shaking so violently in his sleep that I started googling "is my puppy dreaming or having a seizure"! For once, google actually gave me reassuring results (instead of the usual alarmist hypochondriac stuff you tend to get if you google human ailments :p:) and I felt better about it. He also seems to twitch less violently now that he is a few weeks older.

I hope your pup feels better!! Good luck with everything.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Your pup

I have an 8 week old male, I got him a week ago. He started with semi firm stools the first day then it went to diarrhea. I took him to the vet two days into it, they didn't find anything on the fecal and gave me some antidiarrheal meds. They said he looked great otherwise! He continues to have loose stools, I tried switching from diamond puppy food to blue wilderness. I put about 20% new food to start tonight, his poop was worse after that meal. He also is a very restless napper/sleeper which may just be him, he moves frequently and breaths fast/hard sometimes. His nose has varied from cool and runny to warm and dry. I took his temp last night it was 100.8, which is normal. He goes back to the vet in week for his next round of shot, but I may call tomorrow. I was just wanting some input, I am a first time golden owner.
Thank you
Brooklyn
DEFINITELY call the vet!! You have to be very careful with pups-they can become dehydrated very fast. He could have coccidia or giardia. I also would be hesitant to change his food now, unless vet told you to.

·
Loving Mommy of Kiner <3
239 Posts
Kiner is on taste of the wild grain free salmon for puppies / he's done great with the grain free - lots of luck!!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
In my opinion no puppy should have their food changed so soon after coming to their new homes. They can often be upset for a few days due to the upheaval of leaving their mothers/littermates. The change in water at the new home can also prompt a tummy upset.

Even if your pup isn't on a particularly good food, it would still be advisable to keep him/her on the same food the breeder fed for at least a few weeks. When pup is well settled in your environment, it would be ok then to start changing foods very gradually over about a week.

This happens a lot with puppies, I hope yours is back to normal soon.
Tanya

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your advise. I will stick with the old food for the next week or so. I called the vet and I'm going to pick up a new med to hopefully help. I hope he's better soon:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Called the vet, she put him on a probiotic. I'm not switching the food yet. Hopefully it will clear up soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts