Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sienna's been having sporadic pee issues. In the past few months she's peed three episodes after been asleep, usually on her crate bed. The last one was Christmas morning, we went to let her out of the crate and she had peed. It is sporadic. She does like to drink a lot of water sometimes at one sitting, but it's not constant. The only time she has asked to go out seemingly more than normal is on Christmas day- it wasn't constant, maybe I was more aware due to her peeing. It stopped after the one day.

Because it understandably unnerved me, I called the vet this morning to ask for an opinion. I was told they would leave a message for the vet and they would get back to me. Just now at 9:00pm I got a call from the vet assistant to ask me more about the whole thing... not the vet. They told me they felt that I should bring Sienna in to get her tested for a bladder infection, just to rule it out. The thing is, they don't have me catch a sample, they hope to catch the first pee of the day... they put her on her back and insert a needle into her bladder! They said this is the best way to get a sample with no bacteria. If they only do this procedure and she has a bladder infection it may be around $200. with antibiotics.

Given what we have just gone through with her endoscopy $1,200... then having to buy a car because ours was falling apart... then Christmas and my sons birthday on New Years Eve we are flat out broke. My husband is out of town until tomorrow night. They said I could come in tomorrow morning with her before her first pee.

I am freaking out and fried. I told them I don't know what to do... She is acting fine. Her nose is cold and wet. Her gums are pink. Her poops are fine and she seems to be peeing fine. With getting the car and all the holiday/birthday rush I have not been able to change insurances yet. I am still punching myself for not doing it after the first incident, when I naively thought I wouldn't let it happen again. We don't have the money for this. Plus, even though my husband loves her, I don't know how he would be.

I guess I want thoughts, I may regret asking. :( Hope I can sleep tonight.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Catch her first pee of the day in a clean bowl, frisbee, whatever and bring it in. Sure they want to do the more expensive (and invasive) procedure, but they can still test the urine sample you bring in. It's ridiculous that they aren't even offering that as an option considering they know money is tight for you right now.

Is there another vet nearby? Honestly the way yours sounds, I'd think about switching.

Plenty of dogs have been easily diagnosed with a UTI without the vet having to insert any needles into their bladders.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with Marlene. Most of the time, the needle is done if there are several infections back to back and no other meds have helped. If that vet wont consider the letting you bring in a sample then I would consider changing vets. Maybe you can find one that will work with you to make payments. I know how tight money is right now. I am becoming a master penny pincher.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I agree...that is exactly what I would do! I would catch her first pee in a clean container, and bring it in. I can't imagine that they would do something so invasive, when she is exhibiting so few symptoms, that she doesn't appear sick. It should show any bacteria she may have, and all you would need would be a prescription, once they test it. I would not do such an invasive test on her at this point.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
Rambling thoughts alert! I know just how confusing and aggravating such a situation can be :( We had a similar confusing experience with possible bladder infection and Oscar peeing on his bed/carpet while lying down dozing... see my thread http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=69458

We also had to do the urine with needle thing, but that was only for the "pristine" (??) urine for the actual culture, after we had twice gone through regular pee-in-a-cup urine evaluations (and one -- unsuccessful??-- round of antibiotics). IMHO I would think that you can first try catching the first pee of the day in a tupperware (or pick up a cup from the vet the day before) and bring it in right away. As long as the urine is still "warm to the touch" (on the OUTSIDE of the cup, LOL!), our vet said that should be okay, so long as there is a technician available ASAP to examine it. (But if it cools off too much, it is "no good" for a real infection detection, apparently... there is like a 20-30 minute window I think.)

Honestly, since Oscar went through all that hoopla with a mystery bladder infection... and then has had zero symptoms in like a month... we haven't done anything else to try and diagnose it, hoping that his symptoms are actually attributable to "growing into" his bladder. If it comes back, we will reevaluate our options, but for now he seems totally fine...! so confusing.

SO while I would say based on my experience... nothing they did actually "HELPED" Oscar in the end... BUT without taking the urine from the bladder for the culture, we never would have found out that he seemingly never actually had an infection in the first place (??), though we still spent lots of $$$ actually getting to that point.

Hope that gives you some other points to consider... :( sorry I can't be more helpful. But if you can't afford to take care of it now, and she isn't actually having any OTHER symptoms, maybe the regular urine examination + some general antibiotics would be a more conservative (and cheaper option)? I agree with the others that a 2nd opinion might make you feel better... however, as I would imagine that would run you at least $50 just for the additional consult, maybe try and convince this vet to do the cheaper option first, while you find another vet in the short term?

BEST OF LUCK. Please let us know how it goes!

·
the party's crashing us
4,303 Posts
The $200 actually sounds reasonable given that that includes exam fee (probably $50), bladder stick (really ---- not a big deal ---- and the only way to insure you don't get bacteria from the urethra contaminating the urine sample), UA AND antibiotics.
If you want to bargain with them and ask for just a normal catch urine sample, if that is less expensive, and then ask for them to call in the antibiotics to your human pharmacy. Amoxicilin is a popular one for UTIs and I know Publix (popular grocery store in the SE) pharmacy gives you a FREE 2 week prescription of amoxi. It's also on the $4 Walmart list. I do this with cephalexin, normally $30 from the vet = free from Publix w/ prescription.
Beyond all that -- I certainly realize your frustration -- BUT --- YOU are the one who called the vet with a concern, and they are the ones telling you what THEY can do about it! They are not going to call you back and say, "We looked in our magic crystal ball and don't worry, there is nothing wrong with your pet, don't do anything." Of course they are offering you a service that will alleviate your fear and address a real issue with your pet. That is their business! They earn a living doing this. It's not free.
I certainly sympathize with your feelings, it can be very frustrating. Call the vet again and tell them exactly what you've said here, and I bet they can work with you.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Tucker used to have "pee" issues that had nothing to do with UTI's. He hasn't had this issue in a few years now. He even went for an ultrasound. I've only met one other person on the forums in all of these years that described the same issue. I believe it is one of FozzyBear's GR's.

To give you a short description of what would happen: I at first thought he had a UTI because he would go out frequently. However, it seemed he may not have been able to empty his bladder. Then, all of a sudden, he would stand there and unknowingly let it "all" go. The first time he did this I pulled something from his mouth he shouldn't have and it was like pulling a plug. He also let it "all" go at the ER Vet. I brought him in thinking he had a UTI and a woman who had just lost her dog bent down to hug Tucker. He stood there letting her stroke him and all of a sudden, you guessed it. A flood was all around both of them. The woman's husband kept saying, "Um, hun..." She didn't care and either did Tucker.

I hope all works out well. They never did the procedure on my crew you mention, but I do know it is done. All I've ever had to do for the cats and the dogs is to get a clean catch and bring it in ASAP.

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
When we thought we had a possible UTI issue with Scout (peeing)--our vet (who has Goldens herself) said to have her pee in a clean/steralized container (in the past, they gave us a few free ones to use) and bring it in.

If you can afford it, you could call the vet back and say you could bring in a clean container with some of the urine in it and let them analyze that. If they balk at that, I'd say wait for a month or so and see what develops--if anything. She seems asymptomatic for any other problems (nothing else seems wrong with her).

I think your $$ concerns are quite valid and as long as your pupper doesn't seem to be getting sick--I'd monitor her and go from there.

Good Luck!

SJ

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Ellen, I empathize about the lack of symptoms, money,& husband situation! It's so hard to know what to do when they act fine!

I think the needle in the bladder is extreme for this without even doing a clean catch try! Maybe ask them if you can try the clean catch? Are you close enough to your vet?
If this is the vet where you had the recent emergency and past surgery, you'd think they would understand!

If Sienna is acting fine right now, maybe it was a stress issue/too much water who knows. HUGS

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My daughter and I have had similar incidents. She has an 8mo male lab and I have an 8mo female golden. They are both housebroke but unless you monitor their water intake they will occasionally drink till they burst, then they will pee a lot over a lengthy period. Hers will actually walk around dribbling as though he can't hold it. They have both been checked out for infections or abnormal labwork including diabetes and are fine. They don't drink like this all the time, just seems like they get carried away sometimes, mostly when they are excited.
We have both tried monitoring the water, offering it to them in reasonable amounts all day, then stopping it in early evening other than a small drink. This has solved the problem, they are both happy, healthy bouncing pups that tend to go on drinking binges if allowed.
My vet said excessive drinking can also be a sign of pain and dog should be examined but we have had them both checked thoroughly and they are fine.

I know how it gets with vet bills, seems like when it rains it pours. If she seems healthy and active I would want to try
everything possible including collecting the urine myself for a start. If it comes back with bacteria it could be from the method, but if its clean you'll know it's ok.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Okay I have no real experience with this here/only what I've read and this is a bad bad thought but it's what comes to mind when reading your post. It's unlikely but could she be having mild seizures? That would cause her to pee. Just a far out there thought. Could be as simple as she's a deep deep sleeper. Sometimes she maybe is dreaming that she is in a nice green field and goes pee in her dream and pees IRL? With her nose wet, acting normal and not peeing more than often, I would let it wait too. And hey, I was concerned about my dog and bladder infections and I came across this info, maybe you can try this?

Sorry the site would not let me copy paste, please access site and look at the bottom for herbs you can give your dog. Max is doing well so I didn't get the chance to see if Walmart or Rite Aid etc carries these.

http://www.pets.ayurvediccure.com/urinarytractinfections.htm

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
With Maddie, they've done the sterile sample from the bladder and I've also been able to bring in my own samples of her urine. If you're afraid about the cost, I would simply bring in your own sample and explain that you can't afford the sterile sample from the bladder right now. It's better than nothing!

Like k9design said, you can ask for a cheaper medication. They do need to see which antibiotics the UTI will respond best to, but then I used to ask the vet to prescribe a human type generic antibiotic (we mostly used Cephalexin for Maddie) and I filled it myself at CVS.

-Also I don't know if you're a member of AAA Automobile club? They can run a prescription at the pharmacy with the AAA card for your dog and you get a discount. (they do this for me at the pharmacy I go to)

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I'm sorry Ellen. Just keep this in the back of your mind, both Abby and Finn would have very occasional accidents way after they should have. As a matter of fact, Finn is almost three and peed in the living room a couple of weeks ago. I wish I had those brushed cement floors! Then I could just put in a firehose and call it even.

I think when it is really cold they have trouble going outside. So it may not be a UTI at all. Does she go outside right before being crated at night and really pee?

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
I think the vet is going to the extreme without having done any other urine samples first.

I agree with others that have said, explain the financial situation to them and ask them to run a test on a sample you catch in a cup.

Deep breath, let it out. It's okay to slow down, step back and take care of this at your own pace. It doesn't have to be tomorrow morning if you aren't ready.

·
Sasha, Honey & Toro's Mom
741 Posts
When we first adopted Toro, he had a couple of incidents where he was in his crate and we when we let him out, he had wet. It didn't have a strong odor, but that's what it had to be. He does have a problem where sometimes he will drink a lot of water at a time. We have never had him tested, but the problem seems to have resolved itself. We mainly just watched his water intake and always take him out to pee before putting him in his crate.

On the other hand, our Honey only has one kidney and we have her urine tested every 5 months to make sure there are no problems. In this case, we always have to do the sterile sample (which usually costs us around $120. )

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Is your girl spayed? My BIL's lab started have problems with peeing after she was spayed, apparently it's a hormone issue that can be treated with meds.

There is no way I'd go for the sample via a needle before testing the easy way. IMO, that type of test is a last resort. I wouldn't want to put my dog or my wallet through it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts