Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good ways to teach Murphy that biting is not okay? It's getting really old. I know he will grow out of it, and we are desperately trying to discourage it, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any suggestions? Also, how long did it take your pups to grow out of this phase?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Judge is about one month older than Murphy and he has been going through this as well. He more mouths at you than bites but those puppy teeth sure are sharp. Just in the past couple weeks he has started loosing all his puppy teeth, so it hurts a lot less!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I kept trading my arm for a nylabone.

Mac went through two--there's two more that are pretty beat up that I'll probably throw out in another month or so. So that will be 4 nylabones in about 20 months--not bad. I guess!

·
Registered
27 Posts
rappwizard, which Nylabones do you use? We have just a regular one and Judge has NO interest in it. He loves his stuffed toys and his kong (when it has treats or peanut butter in it).

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank is 5.5 months and pretty much over the biting phase. He still likes to take our hand or arm in his mouth when he gets excited, but it seems like the worse is over. At least he has a soft bite and those razor sharp puppy teeth are gone.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
rappwizard, which Nylabones do you use? We have just a regular one and Judge has NO interest in it. He loves his stuffed toys and his kong (when it has treats or peanut butter in it).
There is a clear one that is labeled "chicken flavored." I didn't have to do this, but I also read a tip that the nylabones could be boiled in chicken broth to make them more tasty for dogs that are pickier about what they like to chew on. Make sure the bone is thoroughly cool.

Another chewie that I used, and still use, is called "CET chews" which is a dental chew. Mac played with it and savored it--pounced on it--pretended to kill it--she loves it.

Others on the GRF have used antlers and bully sticks too with much success.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks! We are always looking for new things to capture him. I will have to try the chicken broth...great idea!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have been using toys, but it doesn't seem to deter him from reaching around the toys and biting our arms/hands. I know he will grow out of it soon enough, it's just so frustrating.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We have been using toys, but it doesn't seem to deter him from reaching around the toys and biting our arms/hands. I know he will grow out of it soon enough, it's just so frustrating.
Murphy's Mom--At almost nine months of Joy's life some things are beginning to make sense to me. Joy apparently understood all along I just wasnt explaining it right. When Joy is biting at my hands I almost have to shove a nylabone or a rawhide chew (which I never let her have for long) into the corners of her jaw. When she begins to teeth on the toy I excitedly praise her "good girl" repeatedly. Usually (not always) she looks at me saying oh this is what is good and your hand is not good even though it tastes better. Then she walks away with the toy. I think we are afraid of correcting with certainty for fear of hurting or something else.
Just my two cents but it is working for us finally!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Murphysmom,
Payton does the exact same thing. She has no interest in the toys I shove in her mouth she only wants my hands, stomach, legs, etc. I've even tried putting her paw in her mouth and closing her mouth to see if she feels how much it hurts, and nope, as soon as the paw comes out it's time to bite mommy again! I even thought of asking the vet to pull her baby teeth just so I could get some relief! Of course my hubby thought I was crazy! LOL

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bauer will be 13 weeks tomorrow. He's starting to figure it out. He still has it moments where is gets really nutty, but he is showing signs of promise in the bitting departments. I don't have many answers but here are some things I try to do:

1. OUCH! NO BITE! replace with a toy.
- He usually comes back at you, like you said.

2. Stand up and ingore
- Funniest thing is if you do this, he will nip 2 more times, try to hump your leg for four seconds, then goes away. Everytime. It's so funny.

3. Stay busy. If we are up and doing dishes or cooking or whatever, he's a saint. If we are on the floor watching TV, WATCHOUT.

He is now starting to respond to OUCH! NO BITE!. Like standing up, he will sneak another nip in and then leave you alone.

Two things that kill progress... 1) Engaging in his rough play by pushing him away. 2) inconsistancy between family members (that's our problem). Some in our family still do #1, which creates #2. (that sounds weird)

Bauer has NO INTEREST in Nylabones either. Our last dog didn't either. I'm pounded them with hammers, filed them, etc. Nothing.

·
Hudsen, born 8-23-09
269 Posts
Hudsen has the same problem. He is beginning to lose his teeth, but he is still biting quite a bit. It is frustrating because small children always want to pet him and the first thing he does is takes a nip at their hands! My breeder told me to hold his muzzle closed and firmly say no because that is what his mother dog would do to teach him, well, not say, "no" of course :) When he bites, I also pull my hands away and yelp loudly to show that was too rough. He seems to stop when I do that. The last thing is you could squirt him just a little bit with water, and say no. It startles them and they stop biting, then you can praise them for stopping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My golden had some chewing problems some months ago, and I found the best way to get rid of it is: everytime he would bite me I would fake like it would hurt like hell, give a little shout of pain and fake being sad. He never bit me again :)

Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi everyone, we seem to be having nearly the same exact issues with our Archie. I was thinking that he was a bit young to be in the obsessive biting phase, but glad to hear we're not alone. This little guy will just devour our feet if we try to walk away or ignore him. Sometimes I feel like I'm constantly correcting him! We're starting puppy preschool next week so I'm hoping to get some tips. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My vet has us push our hand farther into the puppy/kitten's mouth. If it is just a finger that gets caught, we are supposed to wiggle it around or push it into the roof of the mouth.
Though it sounds mean, the idea is to make it uncomfortable, not painful, for the young ones to bite. It must work, as none of our dogs or cats have ever been biters - and that includes the Cattle Dog.

·
Registered
306 Posts
wet a wash cloth and then freeze it. you can also throw some flavored broth on it. it's cold and feels nice on their teeth. she's a big fan of hairbrushes, too.

layla is 4.5 months now and it still a shark. she's lost most of her frontal daggers but praying the canines are soon to follow.

i remember her at 2-3 months and she was unbearable. the only and i mean ONLY thing that would pacify her was taking her to the park and running the holy bajesus out of her. can't bite when she's sleeping! :D

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Gable is a little pirahnna dog. He nips and bites when he gets really excited. When he gets that way, I ignore him and he gets a "time out" in the kitchen until he calms down. Don't know if that is the right thing to do but it has kept my sanity. He begins training next week so I hope we can stop the biting and that annoying mounting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts