Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Sorry I have been absent so much. I don't do the board at work anymore (really cuts down on my time) I sometimes do look at a post or two on my lunch. However I am still here.

Gabby is doing great! We have started doing agility fun matches with her. Its a good way to see where we are and what we need to hone in on. She is really getting it. Still needs more confidence with straight weaves, and must always remember work WITH mom not on your own. I have entered her in a sanctioned match in Feb, she will run her first novice courses. Doesn't count for squat, so I am running her preferred to keep the jumps at 16". We plan to wait a couple more months before raising her to 20".

Obedience she is doing well too. Better than I am. :curtain: Her heeling is nice we still have to treat her quite a bit to keep her focus, what I don't like is the second she takes the treat she drops her head to the ground hoping something dropped. I don't drop that often I think it is just a bad habit she has gotten into that I need to correct. We have done a couple matches, second one I kind did the novice walk through. Gabby did great (me.... not so much) We did the off leash, and the figure 8, the recall and a stand for exam BUT I had the judge just approach her we are working on mom focus there. She did well so the judge did it again and just touched her and backed off. All of this is VERY supported still but not bad for a baby dog with a dork handler. We did the novice sits and downs too, they were throwing dumbells behind her she wanted to go retrieve BUT never broke her stay. Another dog did though. Jumped over the gating for the dumbell. GO GABBY!!! Still a long way to go but I have hope she can do it, still not sure about me. Saw Kate's post about pouncing on the dumbell, will have to read that, Gabby does that she is WAY to exuberant on her retrieves. So far we keep them close, and I whisper the fetch command. Try to take the excitement away.

Field, well we didn't go to Darrin's this past weekend, it was FREEZING and he said he was not doing much training, no point in us driving up. The last time we were there, Gabby was flawless on her pile work, and her sit work. Got to do a bunch of retrieves too. Unfortunately she did not show her 'no go' so I didn't get any help with it. Last weekend we went out to do some pile/sit work and it raised it's ugly head again. I think I will back up to the FTP work maybe she is not understanding you go EVERY time I say back. However she did finish well last weekend so that was good. It is hard to do field work especially in the city in the winter.

Gabby has a rally trial this coming weekend. With luck she will finish her AKC Rally Novice title. Two trials, two days.

Teddi has gotten better I think with her obedience. We got her some new treats, only pulled out for her for obedience, a new tug toy she seems to love, and a jackpot treat. She is staying more engaged now for longer periods. We are not pushing it but we are introducing maneuvers to her now not just games. We also are doing some long slow work too. I took her to the matches too, this past one, she was better in the ring than she was out of it. Much more focused, animated, and ready to play. Maybe she will get there. Not giving up hope yet.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
All of that sounds awesome, Ann!!!

Yay Gabby and Yay Teddi! The obedience work sounds like Gabby is serious about strutting her stuff in the novice ring down in St. Louis... And Teddi I'm sure will be ready as well. I'm really happy for you<: :)

What numbers are you on Saturday? I was planning to get there by noon, but I can get there earlier to watch.... ;)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Good to see you back!!!

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Nice to get an update!! We miss you!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Hi Anne! I've missed "seeing" you here, but know you're busy, which is a good thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts