Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A small glimmer maybe. So my little Sophie - now 5 months - has been a lot since the beginning. I've had 2 other goldens in my lifetime - one of which was a therapy dog but nothing like my Sophie. I feel like I went into this thinking - I've had goldens before - I've got this! Karma said - hold my beer! All the usual tactics that work for biting, chewing, jumping up etc were not working on Sophie. Anyway - long story short, we are seeing a bit of light. Little things clicking, but still we have a long way to go. I still have her on a leash in the house, usually tethered because she is either grabbing things off the counters, chewing on furniture, chasing my cats (which actually landed me in the ER with a strain/microtears to my hamstring trying to sprint across the kitchen to grab her while she has pinned one of my cats and missed work for a few days), biting/nipping us and tearing clothes or leaving us with bleeding hands. Also - just wanted to say I have gotten up 3 times trying to post this - she has chased the cat (now in her crate for 5 min) and chewed on the table leg and stole papers she could reach on the desk - she is now tethered to the post in the kitchen. She has plenty of chew toys, kongs, stuffed toys. I feel like the only way to really distract her is with a food distraction until we can walk or throw a ball in the yard. I know there are others in my predicament that are feeling this way, so I just want to say stick with basic commands and hone those. They really help in the long run. Treats/food are goldens currency so use it. It will get better. I am trying to stay positive that all this hard work will turn my Sophie into a well behaved girl.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Busy girl. Mine was a busy girl too. We just removed the baby gate at the top of the stairs yesterday.. she's 2 & 1/2 lol.

I'd get stricter with the cat thing, it sounds like that could get dangerous for the cat. When Luna was around that age I would tell her to lie down whenever she saw the cat and gave her high value treats. After much repetition that behavior became automatic and earned her a lot of praise and high value treats. I think it definitely helped her learn some self control around the cat. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, we are trying now to put her directly in the crate if she lunges at them for a time out but I think that could work also. What do you use for a high value treat? Meat or cheese?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yes, we are trying now to put her directly in the crate if she lunges at them for a time out but I think that could work also. What do you use for a high value treat? Meat or cheese?
We used both. She'll do anything for a Polly-O string cheese and they're easy to cut into tiny rounds. She likes bits of chicken but they're secondary to Polly-O string cheese for some reason. No accounting for taste. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
We used both. She'll do anything for a Polly-O string cheese and they're easy to cut into tiny rounds. She likes bits of chicken but they're secondary to Polly-O string cheese for some reason. No accounting for taste. 🤷‍♀️
Ok. I started this morning with some string cheese also. Just for when she leaves the cats. She hasn't had that before and really liked it. I hope this works!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agree with the above. Focus on teaching her how you want her to behave around the cat and reward that. My cat is old and we have a 5 mo old puppy, so I don’t tolerate any chasing. I have tried to reinforce the cat having a bubble around her. She also has room that has a baby gate and is off limits to the dogs that she can go to if they become too annoying.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree with the above. Focus on teaching her how you want her to behave around the cat and reward that. My cat is old and we have a 5 mo old puppy, so I don’t tolerate any chasing. I have tried to reinforce the cat having a bubble around her. She also has room that has a baby gate and is off limits to the dogs that she can go to if they become too annoying.

The cats definitely have space to be left alone. She is in a separate part of the house and they have free roam of most of it. Even when we have this under control, I never let my last golden go to the basement - where their food/litter etc is.

That is the one thing that gives me hope, they definitely go for their alone time, but they still will come and be in the room with her. Yesterday I caught her "on" my one cat in the chair, but when I looked closely she was kind of mouthing her gently (her fur was wet) and my cat just looked mildly irritated, but stayed put - so it must not be too bad or she would have left.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Maggie has always had an infatuation with our cat. Luckily, we adopted our cat declawed or I think we could have had some issues. She is now 19 months and "mostly" let's the cat alone. Our cat instigates her to play with him so sometimes there is still a game of chase at times.
Jules

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My phone won’t let me hit like, but I love that photo. I’m glad you are starting to see things click!

·
Registered
175 Posts
When we got our older dog, we had a 16 year old cat and she was in good shape. She could easily jump the baby gates and get away from him. As she got older and slowed down, mentally and physically, we were more concerned for her. We finally bought a collar (he was maybe 18m at the time) that had a few functions and never intended intended to use the shock function - and never did. We used the vibrate function when he would start chasing the cat and he would stop and get puzzled and figured it out really fast. I think it took just a couple of days and he radically changed. He's a high energy guy with a huge prey drive - still at 5 takes off full speed towards squirrels and birds in the fenced yard (but not on leash walks, he knows he can't). Anyway, I just wanted to put out that as an option. It was not cruel and got fast results.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you tried any training classes? I took my Stormy to Petsmart For puppy training it’s just the basics but she also got to socialize with other dogs, I have been lucky as she loves to please and listens well my only challenge is walking her, meaning she is still walking me. I just got a gentle leader going to give that a try. But I had a puggle for 16 years and she was a bear to train lol. Don’t give up she is counting on you

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When we got our older dog, we had a 16 year old cat and she was in good shape. She could easily jump the baby gates and get away from him. As she got older and slowed down, mentally and physically, we were more concerned for her. We finally bought a collar (he was maybe 18m at the time) that had a few functions and never intended intended to use the shock function - and never did. We used the vibrate function when he would start chasing the cat and he would stop and get puzzled and figured it out really fast. I think it took just a couple of days and he radically changed. He's a high energy guy with a huge prey drive - still at 5 takes off full speed towards squirrels and birds in the fenced yard (but not on leash walks, he knows he can't). Anyway, I just wanted to put out that as an option. It was not cruel and got fast results.
I have never seen this type of collar. I must investigate!

Have you tried any training classes? I took my Stormy to Petsmart For puppy training it’s just the basics but she also got to socialize with other dogs, I have been lucky as she loves to please and listens well my only challenge is walking her, meaning she is still walking me. I just got a gentle leader going to give that a try. But I had a puggle for 16 years and she was a bear to train lol. Don’t give up she is counting on you
Still in lockdown where I live so no classes available. We would be first in line. I have contacted our local person who's classes were booked solid for May before Covid so hopefully we will get in this summer sometime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts