Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been living vicariously through all of you for nearly a year, biding my time, waiting until the time was right for my husband and I to add a puppy to our home. I've spent hours (probably days when added up) online searching for the right litter and breeder. At first, I selected a kennel closer to home and am very pleased with them. They're everything you could wish them to be... However, recently came across another litter that I am just over-the-moon over from another kennel.:love: I love the sire, and the dam is from a healthy lineage. I contacted the kennel by email and have been placed on "the list."

I know that this doesn't guarantee me a puppy, depending on sex and number of puppies whelped. However, the breeder didn't really ask anything about me, my situation, or anything. S/he just said that they'd add my name to "the list." Is this a canned response? Breeders- what do you normally do? How many names do you take for your list? Do you take just a few or do you take more in case it's a large litter or if people change their minds?

I plan on following up with a phone call later this week to discuss things. They won't take deposits until the litter is born and all are healthy. Am I counting my chickens before they're hatched? I literally can't contain my excitement. I have been talking puppy talk to my husband 24/7!! :crossfing

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Gosh, I'd definately have a conversation with the breeder (either by email or phone) so that you know what to expect. I'd be nervous too.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I hope you have found what you have been looking for for a year! I can't speak for others, but I can tell you what I have been doing. This upcoming litter will only be my 2nd, so take it for what it is worth. I get an email from someone, I will respond with a little more about the litter. Then I ask them to fill out a questionaire for some more info for myself. After I confirm pregnancy, I plan to speak to these people in person on the phone. From those people, I will rate them probably in order of what I feel will be the best homes for the puppies. I find it a little troublesome that they didn't ask you any more about yourself to find out what kind of home you would provide. It may have been a "canned" response as you said. They may have plenty of potential buyers already and don't want to take the time??? Or maybe they don't have many at all, and everyone is on the list :) Not sure. Perhaps they are really busy at the moment and don't want to turn you away. I would definately follow up.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I am happy that you are excited but I have to honestly say I would be concerned about a breeder that put you on the "list" knowing nothing about you.... they did not interview you or as you say they know nothing about your family situation or living situation... that would concern me to be honest .
s

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
I agree with the others-I would definitely call the breeder. If the pregnancy has been confirmed and they were serious about putting you on the list, I would have expected more questions or a questionnaire.

I pretty much do the same thing Goldnbear does-respond to inquiries with information about the sire and dam of the litter, my expectations for the puppies, and links to clearances, pedigree and pictures. If they are still interested, I ask that they complete a questionnaire, which serves as a bit of a placeholder and basis for upcoming phonecalls and emails. I also encourage a visit at the time that I respond to them, unless the puppies have been born and are too young for visitors. The visit lets them meet my dogs in person and decide if my dogs are the "style" that they want, and if they like the temperament, etc. It is also my opportunity to meet them and see how they interact with the dogs and answer my questions. I rarely take deposits and never before the puppies are a week old.

I hope everything works out for you, and you get the puppy of your dreams!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice! The breeding is to take place in February... so maybe they're just waiting to see if it even takes. (?) Though, in my initial email I basically provided a mini-life history of myself and my husband and my plans for our future puppy.

The sire of the breeding is Klaasem's Zoom Zoom Zoom, I would just love LOVE to have a Zoom kid. They're just gorgeous with beautiful heads and excel in all areas. Some have done extremely well in Obedience- which is what I want to do with our puppy.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Maybe they have a policy of following up with people once the puppies are born?

I knew of one breeder that actually didn't like to create a "list" until the pups were born because by 1. the time of the announced breeding, 2. arranging for the conception, 3. confirming the conception, 4. confirming the pregnancy, 5. attempting to determine the number of pups and finally 6. the birth, many people on "the list" couldn't wait that long and had already found puppies elsewhere.

And if there was a snafu on any of the above steps along the way, the breeder felt she was obligated to tell everyone "on the list" about any hold ups--and some people would take their frustrations out on her--"what do you mean the pregnancy didn't take? what do you mean she absorbed the litter? what do you mean I waited all this time and there's not enough pups?" yadda, yadda, yadda.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Thanks for the advice! The breeding is to take place in February... so maybe they're just waiting to see if it even takes. (?) Though, in my initial email I basically provided a mini-life history of myself and my husband and my plans for our future puppy.

The sire of the breeding is Klaasem's Zoom Zoom Zoom, I would just love LOVE to have a Zoom kid. They're just gorgeous with beautiful heads and excel in all areas. Some have done extremely well in Obedience- which is what I want to do with our puppy.
If the breeding hasn't even taken place, I am sure she is just waiting, especially because you have already given her some information about you and your family. Lots of things can happen between planning a breeding and actually getting a litter :)

I love Zoom, and have seen some really nice Zoom puppies out there. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Good luck on your search for your pup! Our fingers are crossed for you.
Timber is a grandson of Zoom.
And, I may be a little prejudice, but I think he's gorgeous :)

·
Murphy's mom
1,084 Posts
OooH I have my fingers crossed for you!! I have a Talon son (Zoom Zoom's famous dad) I would love a Zoom Zoom offspring!

How exciting. :yes: I do love their heads! Tucker is my Talon ( Ch Daybreak Varsity Jump OS) offspring. Tucker is in my signature and my avatar.

P.S. Who is the breeder? I see you are in PA.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Zoomie is a great boy! I had the pleasure of spending some time with him at a show when Cortney was showing him. Wonderful personality and beautiful to look at. I hope all goes well for you! Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been able to speak with the breeder. I believe that they were just waiting to speak with me further until they knew if the breeding took...and it didn't. :( This was disappointing news, but that's okay! My puppy is out there.

I was still looking but have reconnected with a breeder in my area that I had thought wouldn't be having a litter in 2010, but is now planning on it in the spring. So, it may not be a Zoom kid as I had hoped, but I know that she'll pick a stud that will complement her bitch very well. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for the update, though I am sorry the breeding didn't take. Very disappointing. Well, like you said, your puppy is out there. Just hang in there!

·
Super mom! ;)
129 Posts
Something similar happened to me-my bitch mom only had 3 females so that litter was out. It's disappointing isn't it?! But it sounds like you've got a great attitude. Your pup is out there and you'll find it and it'll truly be meant to be! Hope all continues to go well!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
OooH I have my fingers crossed for you!! I have a Talon son (Zoom Zoom's famous dad) I would love a Zoom Zoom offspring!

How exciting. :yes: I do love their heads! Tucker is my Talon ( Ch Daybreak Varsity Jump OS) offspring. Tucker is in my signature and my avatar.
buckeyegoldenmom,

I just realized that our Jack is related to Tucker! Jack's sire is Summit (Ch Quailwood Mountain Odessey), a son of Talon. So Tucker is Jack's half-uncle! haha :p:

CarolinaCasey,

We searched for almost a year before getting Jack a little over a month ago. I know how frustrating it can be, especially when a litter doesn't take (which happened to us, but ended up working out for the best - that breeder ended up being a little "off", to put it nicely.) We found the right breeder for us and coincidentally they were planning a breeding soon....so we waited and waited for our Jack! Are they going to try again with that female and Zoom? If you're not in a hurry you may be able to just wait for that dream puppy :)

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
I agree that girls not getting pregnant and singleton puppies are so much a part of the waiting process that it is almost like it just makes the puppy you do hold in your arms all the more dear.

I don't know if this would appeal to you, but I noticed a nice girl who was bred to Zoom's brother Ch Hubbs:

http://gangwaykennel.homestead.com/testimonials.html

·
Murphy's mom
1,084 Posts
buckeyegoldenmom,

I just realized that our Jack is related to Tucker! Jack's sire is Summit (Ch Quailwood Mountain Odessey), a son of Talon. So Tucker is Jack's half-uncle! haha :p:

CarolinaCasey,

We searched for almost a year before getting Jack a little over a month ago. I know how frustrating it can be, especially when a litter doesn't take (which happened to us, but ended up working out for the best - that breeder ended up being a little "off", to put it nicely.) We found the right breeder for us and coincidentally they were planning a breeding soon....so we waited and waited for our Jack! Are they going to try again with that female and Zoom? If you're not in a hurry you may be able to just wait for that dream puppy :)
How funny. What a small world. Jack is Tucker's nephew! Agree sometimes it is very hard to be patient and get a dog with the pedigree you want. Sometimes breedings don't take, or there are just a few puppies born, or there aren't enough for pet homes. When we ended up getting Tucker, it was because a show home fell through...and the breeder wanted to keep a female instead.

·
Murphy's mom
1,084 Posts
I agree that girls not getting pregnant and singleton puppies are so much a part of the waiting process that it is almost like it just makes the puppy you do hold in your arms all the more dear.

I don't know if this would appeal to you, but I noticed a nice girl who was bred to Zoom's brother Ch Hubbs:

http://gangwaykennel.homestead.com/testimonials.html
Does look like a very nice breeding. I see they are in Ohio too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts