Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

I'm obsessed with goldens

3K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  Goldenmomma 
#1 ·
Ok, so I realized today that when I'm driving down the road and I see someone with a golden out in their yard, I have to force myself not to pull in their driveway and say "I have a golden too! Can I pet yours???" Geez, talk about obsessive. Anyone else have this problem?

#5 · (Edited)
When we go to PetSmart....the DW goes to buy dog merchandise. I go to see if there are any goldens there. When I'm driving around town, I'm always on the look out for goldens in yards, and when I find one it's difficult not to stop. Every few months I try to find a good reason to call our breeder and ask if we can come visit, so I can see her "sea of gold".

We will drive 2 hours to go to a dog show just to see the goldens and we don't show. Last summer we went to Ohio to see a show and took Gracie with us. When we got there we were told that we could not bring Gracie in if we weren't showing her. So we snuck in....with Gracie.

We have two wonderful goldens here...but I just can't seem to satisfy my need for more. I am truly obsessed with the breed!!!

#6 ·
I love all dogs, but I do find myself smiling and starting conversation with people I see out with goldens.

#9 ·
I can always tell a golden owner even without their dog. When I have Max out they are compelled to not only pet him but get down at his level and cuddle with him for at least a minute. When I was out with Max in the car recently, I had to run into the Mall and when I was coming out there was this older couple in front of me. They got into their truck a couple spaces from me but they must have seen Max. The man knocked on my window (after I was scratching my head, why was my dog creaming me with his tail of doom?) so I put it down. The man gave Max a treat and guessed Maxes age near to the money. Most people do not see 80 pound dog and think maybe a year old. The man and Max had some male bonding time and I see his wife from inside the car with a big smile on her face mouthing, 'He's really cute!'

I didn't ask if they had a golden, just kind of assumed. But yes, you can recognize golden owners quite easily! And I find myself doing the same thing to other peoples goldens!!

#11 ·
True, true, true and I find that when we see one we have to pet them. Of course we're almost never without our two.

#10 ·
Ok, so I realized today that when I'm driving down the road and I see someone with a golden out in their yard, I have to force myself not to pull in their driveway and say "I have a golden too! Can I pet yours???" Geez, talk about obsessive. Anyone else have this problem?
Yep. Count me in. Goldens are addictive.

#12 ·
this is how it goes with us on a Golden sighting:

"Hi, Beautfull dog.
what's his/her name
how old is he/she"

"We have 2 ourselves.
2 females ..
Goldens are like big teddy bears."
[then 2 minutes of petting, talking to, and just plain adulation.
Same procedure every time when a Golden is present.
Not 1 Golden has escaped us yet..

#16 ·
I've been known to suddenly exclaim "OH!!!!" when I see a golden walking while we are in the car. DH hates it because he thinks that something is wrong and gets mad that I scared him... "but I saw a golden..." to which he just rolls his eyes :D

#21 ·
I've been known to suddenly exclaim "OH!!!!" when I see a golden walking while we are in the car. DH hates it because he thinks that something is wrong and gets mad that I scared him... "but I saw a golden..." to which he just rolls his eyes :D

I do exactly the same thing and get the exact same reaction!!!! :)

#17 ·
Oh gosh - I saw a goofy golden bouncing around across from where I work the other day - I so wanted to just go over and say Hi!
Thank goodness I was running late and couldn't. We forget.. not all Goldens are friendly... but most are! :p:

I think I was worse after I lost my Jake and I was Goldenless. A neighbor's Golden got out and I walked up to him and smooched his face. Oh... the look on his face was.. "Lady.. who the heck are you?" He was not your typical smooch face Golden.. glad he didn't bite me! :doh:

#20 ·
Count me in!! I have gone up to people I would never talk to if they didn't have a golden with them, and people have walked right up to me and ask to pat my dogs always with a golden story of their own. To bad the whole world can't walk around with goldens it would be a better more peaceful place.

#24 ·
It's funny you should say that about Lucky....my one Golden goes nutty when he sees another Golden more so than any other kind of dog. I was going to post a thread at one time wondering if a Golden can actually differentiate between another Golden and a different breed of dog.

#27 ·
I do the same thing, but I also stop for bassets--my other love. I have a golden purse as well so that everyone knows that I own goldens. But you know what is worse? Little golden puppies!!! Who can pass up the opportunity to stop and see those little angels?

#29 ·
:p:Guilty!!!

After my Maggie crossed in July, I was sure that I would find the perfect mixed breed at one of the shelters near me. After all, I'm very pro-rescue.

Until Barb (Hotel4Dogs) introduced me to Mac (Doolin) and I fell instantly in love with Flirt.

How can you love any other breed???

And you can always tell a fellow golden owner by the amount of hair stuck to their clothes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.