Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I previously owned a golden who passed away at the age of 10. She was a excellent dog, but a little on the neurotic side and little high strung. When me and my family decided to get another dog, I wanted another golden but really wanted a smaller dog. Nala was close to 80lbs I know big for a golden! Thought about a goldendoodle but couldnt do it just doesnt seem right! So here I am looking for another golden breeder I live in NY and willing to drive 3-4hrs to get the pup. My questions are
1. English vs American I know there is a lot of hype with the English right now but have read many many places that they are more laid back then the American. Temperament is extremely important to me I really would love a calm laid back golden (of course after the puppy stage ) Does anyone have hands on experience with them to say yes or no?
2. Is there anyway to get a golden on the smaller side? does anyone have a golden on the smaller side? Does smaller mean not as healthy? or do the smaller ones tend to be more hyper?
3. Any recommended breeders that really concentrate on having a golden with laid back personalities even if not an English?
Thank so much its very overwhelming i'm glad this site is here!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest you contact your local golden retriever club for advice on breeder. Just be sure the breeder does all the clearances on eyes, elbows, hips. I have a lighter golden and he is just as silly as my darker golden.

·
Kate
21,295 Posts
Female goldens technically are supposed to be smaller. 80lbs is either oversized or overweight or both.

Only guarantee as far as what you want is buying/adopting an adult dog.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Theres a Sticky thread in the breeder/new puppy forum that talks all about English goldens. A golden is a golden is a golden and they come in all shades from light blonde (never white!) to dark red! Any reputable breeder will have their breeding dogs hips, elbows, hearts and eyes done. Hips have to be done after 2, elbows can be before that, eyes yearly and heart preferably by a cardiologist vet. Tons of great sticky threads on all this info in that section! Of course contacting your local Golden Retriever Club is a great start! Keep us posted on your progress!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh and as for size, females are supposed to be between 55-65lbs and males 65-75 lbs! Of course if you rescue you'll know size ahead of time :).

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I have a female who is still under 50 lbs at 8 months. Her adult weight is supposed to be 55-60 and I don't feel that a 60 lb dog is very large. She is "American" and very mellow and laid back. She is definitely not a trouble maker. I would speak to breeders about the temperament of their pups. You don't have to get an English golden to get a mellow pup.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
There's some good advice given above. Don't know what part of NY you're from. If it's the NYC area, one club to check out is the Hudson Valley GRC (hvgrc.org). When looking for our second golden I followed the GRC puppy referral route and we're happy with the golden we found. Zoe is within the breed standard (actually at 4 yrs. old she's 2 lbs. over the 65 lb. guideline but we're working on that) but I've had some people who are used to the larger goldens say she looks "small". Temperament was important to us and she's much calmer than our other golden who was from field lines. Although we were not seeking an "English" style dog it turns out her father is from English lines and her mother is from American show lines. She receives many compliments, including from Golden owners, on how beautiful she is. Having said all that, Zeke our field dog was a fantastic, intelligent, athletic guy, lean but a little long in the leg, and very handsome.

I'd recommend when you have some leads to make sure to meet the sire and dam if possible so you can see for yourself what their temperaments are like and what sort of dogs they are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts