Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are starting an adolescent puppy class on Sunday. I am nervous for my pup. We hired a one-on one trainer to come to our house when he was 3 months old and he did great but we have never done a group class. He is a very smart dog, catches on really quickly to things, but when we are around other people and dogs all the training goes out the window. My mother in law made a joke that he'll probably have to wear a dunce cap. I think this class will be great for him and help with his socialization but I have no idea what to expect. I hope we don't get kicked out of puppy class like in the movie "Marley and Me", hahaha! Wish us luck!:crossfing

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I so understand that. I also had a trainer come to the house for Gable and then went to puppy class for socialization. The biggest challenge was the difference in training styles and trying to manage that. I just got my new puppy, Olivia, and she will do in home training as well and then go to puppy socialization class later. I didn't want to wait until after shots for either of them.
And I am sure that Griffey will do just fine. Gable graduated with flying colors.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Go and plan to get a workout! LOL!
Wear comfy sneakers...and plan to leave the class tired!
Working a 6month old is fun!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I always found that there is one dog ther that is worse than mine. I do a lot of training in high taffic areas like paking lots and play grounds and the beach. I find that if I do even 15 minutes of training like that once or twice a week my pup behaves better in a more controlled setting like a classroom.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Amber has completed the first two Puppy Classes (4 to 7 mos.). She was a little shy at the first portion since all of the pups are off-leash. She was submissive to the one dog that was a little assertive ;). Second time, she's a pro. Doing well both times at instruction with my husband handling. He has never had a dog (or child for that matter) and both of them are doing well.

My only caution would be interference from some dogs when the owner does not have hold of the leash. Just disruptive....no issues! Have fun with your pup. GR are so willing to do anything for you. They are great! :wavey:

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
Cooper was in the puppy sozialisation class and that was fun and awesome for him. It was about getting them used to all kinds of strange moving kids toys, costumes we put on, kids that visited and wheelchairs, baby carrages and walkers. Small down sized agility equipment. Then tunnel, a small board walk.
Now we are in Puppy beginner obedience class and Cooper actualy always makes me look good.
Goldens are just so made for learning and trying to do well.
He is 5.5 months old now.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We started late with Kye (6 mo) cause we didn't get her until she was 4 1/2 mo. She was the oldest (by far) in the beginner class and I felt unsure and Kye and I had not had time to bond as we would have if I had her from a little pup. First class, she was so good, I was a wreck and hurt her much more than she hurt me in the class standings. We worked hard at home and each week was better. I decided the class was for my girl and I, not for competition and relaxed and had fun. Now that class is over, so glad we went to beginner class and working hard to be ready for more advanced classes in the spring.

Dress comfortably, wear tennis-shoes, but a huge grin on your face and you are going to have the time of your life. Remember everyone there is the same as you and always a pup there who is worse. Have fun and work hard during the week to keep learning. You are going to have such fun and it makes you gunning for the next class.

Reactions: nolefan

·
Kristy
9,807 Posts
You are going to have so much fun! Be sure to go prepared. If you don't own a 'treat holder' that hooks onto your belt loop, go buy one. I know it looks silly, but it's the best. You can find a good one for pretty cheap in the 'nails' section of the hardware store. Or buy the $1.50 apron and wrap it around your waist. If your dog is food motivated you can really keep his attention on you at class by making sure you don't feed a meal before class and keep delivering tidbits to her like a pez dispenser. Make sure you take high value stuff that you wouldn't normally use to train at home. My dog's favorite is Bil Jac soft dog food that is stinky and gross to me but he falls all over himself to get it at class. It is only for training in public. Also you can take left over scraps from your dinner, cut into tiny bites that they can swallow easily while moving.

You will do great, remember the more fun you have the more fun the dog will have :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I agree with Nolefan about the BilJack treats--your dog will love them. One things that's good to do is bring a range of treats. Bring some kibble (low value) and bil Jack or hotdog chunks (high value). That way if puppy gets tired or bored or distracted you have something to "up the ante" with.

I bet your puppy will do fine and you'll both have a lot of fun. Most of the work takes place at home when you practice in any case, and most of the training is for the humans! :p:

Have fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts