Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking for a puppy in the Michigan area preferably cheap due to the fact that I'm fourteen and don't have a ton of money the Ohio area would be fine too. I'm looking for a pup who is willing to play fetch and do hikes with me but will also just sit on my bed and cuddle me while I do school (I'm homeschooled) I'd really appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
Your best bet may be to check out Golden Retriever rescues or shelters in your area and adopt a dog. A well bred, healthy Golden Retriever is going to run several thousand dollars, and there are no real short cuts. It would also involve a wait time of one to two years right now, due to a very high demand for puppies.

Reactions: adambrzak

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
Hey, I'm looking for a puppy in the Michigan area preferably cheap due to the fact that I'm fourteen and don't have a ton of money the Ohio area would be fine too. I'm looking for a pup who is willing to play fetch and do hikes with me but will also just sit on my bed and cuddle me while I do school (I'm homeschooled) I'd really appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks a ton!
Adelynn - I am guessing your parents are giving you the go ahead to do the search and go-for work yourself (which is OK!), but they need to be involved because I guarantee that the first questions a breeder will ask is who is buying dog food and paying for vet bills. You all are going to have to be part of the conversation and working with the breeders - even though it will be YOUR DOG.

Cost - this is a family conversation to have. Because prices for pups in the Michigan area have jumped. I think you need to budget for about $1800-2000. This is basically lower end price right now that I've seen. You can get a pup maybe in the lower end of that, but there might be more questions and issues.....

I know of a litter or two right now and the issue I can immediately think of with them is the breeder is breeding dogs on prelims. Because of this there's still availability for these pups due in Feb 21 (because there is lower demand for pups with no clearances, prelims don't count - same breeder has a couple other litters where full clearances are in place and the pups have all been sold before they were born) and the pups are $1700 I would never purchase a pup from this breeder where the clearances are not in place, however it's less risk from this breeder than somebody in your neighborhood who has no clue what clearances are (or pretends they don't know).

BTW - I do think it is very unfair and WRONG that puppy prices are getting so expensive that they are just "yuppy pets". That cuts out the families in most cases and there's young people coming of age without hands on raising a purebred golden retriever. Tell young people to just adopt - and that's somebody that's not growing up with the breed and becoming the next pillar holding it up and preserving it. I do think that Breeders should be doing more to keep prices in line with what people in the MI/OH/IN area would pay vs what some yahoo from somewhere else in the country will pay to buy and import a pup. My opinion. <= But this is nothing you can control right now. So it's got to be a family conversation and investment right now.

Good luck!!! Ages ago my oldest sister was about 14-15 years old and making phone calls looking for a golden puppy. Our #2 golden was all through her efforts. That #2 golden got my sister involved in dog training..... and she dragged me along with her. I personally would never have gotten to where I am now today with dogs if my sister was unsuccessful back then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts