Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the pics of the whelping box my DH built on the weekend! He has hardly ever made stuff before, not because he can't, I guess motivation! I guess puppies on the way is an urgent motivation! I think he did a great job! He is very proud of it too mind you!
It came in quite cheaply for the materials. We worked out we should go into business building them! We looked around and they are so expensive! Even on ebay! They were asking $250.00 and up for a basic used one! No way. Brand new and made with love! the materials cost us $65.00 and took about an hour to make! We were originally going for the kiddie pool, but changed our minds and built the box. Sam looks impressed too, she even ate her breakfast from it this morning. Jack...... looks a bit confused! We moved some furniture around today and we have put it in the office now, it will be warmer and it's where we spend most of the time! When I load it up with the newspaper and blankets I will get another pic! The floor has carpet underlay underneath linoleum. we also installed some surveillance cams with infra red, Night vision) so if I am out of the office and in the kitchen or lounge I can still monitor them from the TV's elsewhere in the house!
1. Without the floor in
2.Sam checking it out
3. Jack doing a Roo Roo!
4. Jack giving Sam a kiss!
The last 3 pics are Sam looking content after a meal and Jack searching her bowl for leftovers! Poor boy, there was none!

P. S. The little door will be added with hinges when the pups start walking around!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
nice job. try advertising them online and ship them in kit form dis assembled.
cost it out and try it, might be a nice little sideline.

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, good job! I like the flooring. It looks like it would be easy to sanitize.
Thanks, that's why we chose it. We can just lift off the frame and mop the floor! The carpet underlay underneath should protect the carpet as well as provide extra warmth on the floor!

·
Registered
21,127 Posts
I know nothing about whelping or whelping boxes, but I love the 4th photo! Should be on a calendar somewhere...the look on her face is priceless!

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
i just noticed that is chipboard. this is notorious for holding moisture and crumbling unless it is water resistant / flooring grade.

may i suggest you use something non toxic to give it a quick coat to help it stay dry. and try not to let the pups chew the edges as the glues used in it are not very friendly.

not trying to put you off but an ounce of prevention etc:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think your DH made an excellent job!! We might be having some pups for the first time this year, so i'm eyeing up the melamine from the dismantled wardrobe in the garage for fashioning our whelping box if needed.

Hope everything goes well...

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
tanya, again i dont want to be a killjoy.

but be careful of melamine and small teeth.
if it chips the edges are like glass. also it's core is usually cheap chipboard and can crumble and find it's way into tummies.

i am a joiner / carpenter by trade so trust me on this.

i wouldnt use either if i had a choice to be honest.

a decent plywood would be better as lons as all edges are sealed or even covered with a slip on trim.

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Nice job on the box. Maybe when you cover the sides with the blankets it will keep the little stinkers from a chewing frenzy.

The whole process sounds exciting. Best of luck!

And Jack and Sam are beautiful Goldens! Love those roo roo roos.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Great looking box!! Great job!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
great ideas - need feedback about kiddie pool also

My husband would love to make one! Thanks for the original pic and other advice about materials.

We're picking up our first littler today and have the kiddie pool for now .. what are the objections to those? Toxins? Need to know for future reference.

Thanks!

Babette
Goldiva's Stella Thank My Lucky Stars, RN

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Beautiful job- just wondering about the sharp edges at the door (corners) wouldn't they be a safety hazard for bouncy puppies? I know nothing about whelping boxes, but wanted to ask.

I commend you for a job well done :)

·
16,000 Posts
Excellent! This looks very much like mine, but we have built ours without a floor. We pick up a remnant of vinyl flooring when we have a litter and place the box on that - this has proven to be very easy to clean and sanitize. And also makes storing it when not in use much easier.

Your husband did a great job!

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My husband would love to make one! Thanks for the original pic and other advice about materials.

We're picking up our first littler today and have the kiddie pool for now .. what are the objections to those? Toxins? Need to know for future reference.

Thanks!

Babette
Goldiva's Stella Thank My Lucky Stars, RN
I have no objections to the kiddie pools. I am giving you fair warning, that they will climb out of it by about week 4 or 5! Mine managed to scale the box that you see in the pics. Once one did it they all did it! Cheeky little puppies! Then I put the pen around the box. They still climbed over that by week 7! The pool is easy to clean, if you want to use a pool I suggest you buy 2 so you can transfer them while you clean one out. The only thing I would change about the box if we were to do it again would be to make the sides meamine for easier cleaning. When they walk around with poo paws and try and scale the box, the timber was harder to clean. other than that the box was a dream. Plenty of room for them to play in as well as Mum getting in or out of it without treading on anybody! When the pups saw her coming it was chaos! Good luck!

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent! This looks very much like mine, but we have built ours without a floor. We pick up a remnant of vinyl flooring when we have a litter and place the box on that - this has proven to be very easy to clean and sanitize. And also makes storing it when not in use much easier.

Your husband did a great job!
It was without the floor. The floor you can see is the vinyl laminate. Sooo much easier to clean and mop out! Thankyou for your lovely compliment!

·
Phyllis & The Solas Gang
676 Posts
Hi.... Your DH did a really nice job on the box. I have done one litter of pups and and Hailey is expecting at the end of July. When I was trying to decide about what to make the whelping box out of I chose corrugated plastic,like the dura whelp box, but I made it myself with modifications that I thought would work better. The main reason I chose the plastic is it is light and easy to move. I can't lift anyhitng really heavy and I don't always have someone to help me. This was a great alternative.
Good luck with the pups.It is soooo much fun and exciting!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good luck with the pups! I imagine your life is about to get VERY busy for awhile!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts