Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I watched my neighbors Golden Retriever for a week and she was always so happy! She would walk around my house wagging her tail with her mouth open and it looked like she was smiling and it made me so happy to be around her for the week. I've been looking online for Golden Retrievers to rescue but I don't see any that are younger than 5 years old near me within a 500+ mile radius currently. So after seeing that I looked up breeders near me. They all have such good reviews near me, but the only issue is that on average they are asking $2500+ for AKC puppies. I know they say that you get what you pay for and that these dogs are going to be very healthy when they grow up, but that's just a little much for me. I've found some puppies on a website called puppyfind.com, it's just I'm questioning if I can trust any of them. I don't want to get a dog, become emotionally attached to it, and then have it have a hip issue and have me be sad that I didn't just put the extra money towards a well-bred dog. For anyone on this forum who has bought a dog from puppyfind.com or someone who can give some insight on my issue, any help would be great. I really want a Golden Retriever, and I want to get it now while I'm at home doing schooling due to COVID so I can be there more for it as a puppy. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,242 Posts
Welcome!

Puppyfind is not a good place to find a reputable breeder or well bred Golden.

You can contact area GR Clubs for a Breeder/puppy Referral-

If you're interested in Adopting, here is the list of the GR Rescues by State-

If you'll let members know where you are looking or willing to travel to get a puppy, they can give you a referral. There are also several threads with lists of Breeders by area.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Just to manage your expectations... Golden retrievers (actually, probably all dogs) are in extremely high demand right now. Many rescues and breeders have stopped taking applications because the number of "approved" homes/buyers they have far exceeds the number of available dogs/puppies. It is VERY unlikely that you will find healthy puppies bred by responsible breeders on PuppyFind... or really pretty much any multi-breeder website, including the AKC Marketplace. Reputable breeders rarely need to advertise to find great homes for their puppies... they breed only occasionally and usually have many people who have found them by word of mouth. So, if you are committed to getting a healthy, responsibly-bred dog, you will have to do quite a bit of research and you are probably looking at waiting until 2022 and spending a minimum of $2000 ($2500-$3000 is probably more likely).

The good news is that that gives you time to save your money, do some research, find a few breeders you feel good about, and try to get on a waitlist for a year or so from now. I encourage you to spend some time here on the forum, use the search function to look for breeders in the states you are willing to travel to, and maybe read some of the pinned posts in the applicable sub-forums (you'll find the sub-forums by clicking on the stack of lines between "NEW" and your Avatar in the top right corner of the site).

If you find a breeder or litter you are interested in, I suggest searching the kennel name here in the forum to see if they have been discussed before. If not, then feel free to post the kennel name (or the AKC registered names/numbers of the parents) here and we'll be happy to help you research to verify that the breeder is following the GRCA Code of Ethics, which is the absolute minimum a reputable breeder should be doing...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello! I am very sorry to tell you this, but it is very hard to find a golden retriever puppy in shelters/rescues. I have tried myself, but eventually I resorted to a breeder. However, my criteria was 2 months old, but based on what I read your looking for a golden younger than 5 years. I suggest if you don't want to pay too much you should check petfinder.com every day and use the golden retriever breed filter and age filters accordingly. I have seen young golden retrievers once in a while, but they go very quickly! I suggest saving up your money to get a puppy from a responsible breeder if you don't want to do the previous way. Breeders have waitlist for one year and longer, so you have plenty of time to get that money in the meanwhile and if you are not able to you can always get off the waitlist. This is what I suggest personally, but its your choice. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lovin'Goldens states a point, it's very difficult to find a Golden Retriever puppy in shelters or rescues. You'll probably have way more luck looking for a Golden as you want a Golden younger than 5 years old, and I see a few Golden Retrievers who are under five on Petfinder. Also, based upon my observations, many of the dogs in rescues and shelters are not purebred. They look to be a mix and crossbreed. So if you are looking for a purebred Golden, you may have a bit of trouble if you want one from a shelter or rescue. Good luck in your search!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts