Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love simba, but when it comes to him eating his stools i really dont like it, im getting tired of this habit its kind of nasty, you would say dont let him eat it, trust me i tried, but the thing is that sometimes i take him out, and he doesn't do anything, but as soon as we step in that house he does it, but in that moment im not watching so his start eating it... so i start doing some research and i found out that they do this to maintain there area clean and i was ok pretty smart, but now everytimes he eat it, he gets kind of sick, he start vomiting, last time he vomit like 4 time... any suggestion???

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
I have friend who says feed them pineapple and apparently it makes it their stool so unpleasant they won't eat it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take him out on leash, bring him back inside with you?

when his outside he doesn't do it, cuz i dont let him, so when we get in to the house, that i take his leash off, he does it... BTW i try using some pills i dont remember the name, but i was for that, i didnt work at all...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have friend who says feed them pineapple and apparently it makes it their stool so unpleasant they won't eat it.
i will try that. my vet said meat tenderizer, i havent try yet!

·
Kate
21,676 Posts
when his outside he doesn't do it, cuz i dont let him, so when we get in to the house, that i take his leash off, he does it... BTW i try using some pills i dont remember the name, but i was for that, i didnt work at all...
But what I'm saying is that when they are puppies they are kinda inclined to do gross stuff like that. On our property it's our other dog's poop, our neighbor's dog (who thinks our property is an extension of hers)'s poop, our cat's poop, owl puke, roadkill droppings from the crows, rabbit poop, deer poop... anything and everything. When Jacks was a puppy, he was very likely to eat all that if given time.

If you commit to keeping your dog on leash for the next year when out in the yard... except for those times when you've gone over the backyard and picked up all the poop... he will forget the habit and stop scavenging for poop.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
The only two things I have heard to try are pineapple and meat tenderizer... I'm not sure if they actually work but it is worth giving them a try. The best thing you can do is just pick up right after he goes.

Reactions: Tavito1107

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only two things I have heard to try are pineapple and meat tenderizer... I'm not sure if they actually work but it is worth giving them a try. The best thing you can do is just pick up right after he goes.
i will try those 2, but the thing is that he doesnt eat it outside cuz i pick it up right away, he eats it when he have an accident INSIDE the house, and im not paying attention...:yuck:

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Sometimes it's the food, too. Judging by Ranger's habits, it would appear some brands of dog food taste better than others "the second time around." He'd eat our border collie's poop who was fed GO! but not touch my brother's dog's poop who was fed Acana LBP or Orijen 6 fish. Ranger won't eat his own poop - thank god - when he's raw fed, but he was on grain-free Acana for a few weeks and I'm pretty sure I caught him eating a few of his own poopsicles during that time.

So maybe a food switch would help? At the very least, try the pineapple. Or do as Megora says and make sure the puppy is leashed when he goes out to poop, and then bring him right back in with you so he doesn't get the chance.

Reactions: Tavito1107

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Oh, well your pup shouldn't be unsupervised in the house! If you're not paying attention, the problem isn't that he's eating his poop, it's that he's pooping in the house in the first place because you're not seeing that he needs to go outside. Keep him attached to you or put in him a crate if you can't keep watch over him, then let him outside.

Quick question: do you scold him when you find he's pooped in the house? He might be eating his poop to "remove the evidence" so as not to get scolded. In his mind, he might have been asking to go outside but you didn't see, so he had no choice but to poop in the house. Then he didn't want to get scolded, so he's eating it to remove evidence of it.

I think you need to start paying more attention to your pup when he's loose in the house.

Reactions: Florabora22

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sometimes it's the food, too. Judging by Ranger's habits, it would appear some brands of dog food taste better than others "the second time around." He'd eat our border collie's poop who was fed GO! but not touch my brother's dog's poop who was fed Acana LBP or Orijen 6 fish. Ranger won't eat his own poop - thank god - when he's raw fed, but he was on grain-free Acana for a few weeks and I'm pretty sure I caught him eating a few of his own poopsicles during that time. .
i use canidade, and for what i read is good!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, well your pup shouldn't be unsupervised in the house! If you're not paying attention, the problem isn't that he's eating his poop, it's that he's pooping in the house in the first place because you're not seeing that he needs to go outside. Keep him attached to you or put in him a crate if you can't keep watch over him, then let him outside.

Quick question: do you scold him when you find he's pooped in the house? He might be eating his poop to "remove the evidence" so as not to get scolded. In his mind, he might have been asking to go outside but you didn't see, so he had no choice but to poop in the house. Then he didn't want to get scolded, so he's eating it to remove evidence of it.

I think you need to start paying more attention to your pup when he's loose in the house.
and i perfectly understand that, but this happen when he dont let me know he have to go, cuz usually he stand next to the door and cry for a lil bit so i know right away and i take him out, this happen when he just do it with out letting me know, when he does it, i say NO, and take him outside.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
"when he dont let me know he have to go"

At 3/4/5/6 months it isn't the dogs job to let you know if he has to go outside, it is nice when it happens but with young dogs the owner is responsible for making sure the dog does his business. Take your puppy out more do not wait for him to always ask.

Every time your dog gets to go in the house because you are not supervising or taking him out enough makes potty training take much longer.

Puppies should be supervised when running loose in the home for a long time. Because a pup asks to go out doesn't mean it is really trained. A pup is pretty much trained when he doesn't have an accident in the home for 4 or 5 months.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I had a foster puppy that did that. Was told it was because the pups were taken early from their mom. In the whelping pen, the mother eats the puppies poop unless the humans clean it up. It's instinctual.

I used pineapple in the food. It helped keep her away from her own poop, but she just went after any other poop she could find. She thought it was tasy. :yuck:

We finally used aversive training. Watched her like a hawk and yelled loud if she tried, used a squirt bottle, etc. I think we were slowing her down, but I'm not sure she ever would have completely stopped. I see dogs do this at the dog park. Their owners watch them constantly.

I agree with you about the smell. One day Bella ate some poop and then vomited about two hours later. That was the MOST DISGUSTING thing I have ever smelled, bar none. It put me "off" for the entire day.

Good luck, and you have my sympathies in your struggle...!

·
Registered
189 Posts
We got Peyton at 8 weeks and shes 5 months now and we've had less than a handful of accidents. Take your pup out every 20-30 minutes and no play until potty. Peyton also wanted to eat her poop and I put a few drops of Tabasco on it after she went. After a few times it cured that experiment real quick!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so i bought the pineapple and gave it to him, should i let him try his stools to see if doesnt eat it???

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
i will try those 2, but the thing is that he doesnt eat it outside cuz i pick it up right away, he eats it when he have an accident INSIDE the house, and im not paying attention...:yuck:
I totally get what you are saying. I am having the same problem with Olivia. I keep her on leash and clean up immediately when we are outside. Tonight, I turned my back for 15 seconds and she went potty and ate it. I am having a bigger issue with it right now because she is just getting over coccidia and I don't want her to reinfect herself.
It is maddening.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
ok so i bought the pineapple and gave it to him, should i let him try his stools to see if doesnt eat it???
No. And the point is, if you're holding up your end of the bargain correctly, there won't be any stools in the house for him to think about eating, pineapple or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I totally get what you are saying. I am having the same problem with Olivia. I keep her on leash and clean up immediately when we are outside. Tonight, I turned my back for 15 seconds and she went potty and ate it. I am having a bigger issue with it right now because she is just getting over coccidia and I don't want her to reinfect herself.
It is maddening.
Exactly is not like we r not paying attention inside the house, but it happens so fast, that when I realize its to late :s..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts