Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after going back and forth for the past 18 months, I have finally decided to cut $50 from elsewhere in our budget to make room for pet insurance. With puppy #2 on the way in two days, I think it's the right time to do it. I just know I could never make a decision about my pet based on money, but I also know that money isn't growing on trees anywhere near me.

After scouring the forum for recommendations and getting a few price quotes, we are going to use PetPlan. For both boys the cost will be right around $50/month. We are going with a $200 deductible with 100% reimbursement and the silver plan. The gold plan did have a few more perks, but I don't think we would ever use them. I think others on here have this same plan and have been happy with it.

I think we will wait and make the final purchase after Ace has had all of his shots since that will be eating up some of our doggy budget for a few months. I just know I will feel better with some protection. Two dogs are probably twice as likely to get into trouble. :)

I love that PetPlan covers hereditary problems. This is something that I really worry about with Bogey since we know so little about his parents' health and have already had some issues with his tummy.

Just thought I would share and say thanks to everyone for all the helpful posts in the past. You made this decision really easy!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Great decision!! (IMO :))

Especially great decision getting coverage for your new pup early before ANYTHING can be considered pre-existing. So important with Goldens especially since expensive hip problems can pop up anytime.

I have the $200 deductible and 0% coinsurance too... I think its the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marlene, you are the biggest reason I went with this company and plan. I love your comments about it, and I agree with you that when you are in your 20s and broke it's the way to go! :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm in my 20s and broke too :) Pretty sure I'll be getting puppy insurance in the next month for my 9 month old, Harvey. I was already thinking about it and made up my mind after a $600 cut paw! That one hurt both of us! I'm deciding between Petplan and Trupanion. Both sound like great plans.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Almost forgot- do you know if petplan covers hip dysplasia? I'm plan to call them soon but I just thought I'd check on here too. I know trupanion covers it if you register for it before they are 1.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I'm pretty sure petplan covers HD and other genetic disorders. I'm looking into petplan as well, although I'm not sure if we'd be covered for HD since our vet has already brought it up. :( Still, it seems like a good insurance program!

·
Registered
410 Posts
It looks like petplan does cover hip dysplasia (something I definitely want). I was leaning towards Trupanion for that reason but now I think I'm leaning towards petplan again. I like that trupanion doesn't increase the rates based on age/prior statements BUT I thought the limit was 20,000/year and it turns out that it's 20,000/lifetime vs Petplan being 20,000/year if you get the gold plan. I hope I never have to use that much ever and I think it's unlikely but that is something to consider.

Plus it seems like Petplan has been around longer and people seem to be really happy with them. I'm gonna call both of them soon and doublecheck things though.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
It looks like petplan does cover hip dysplasia (something I definitely want). I was leaning towards Trupanion for that reason but now I think I'm leaning towards petplan again. I like that trupanion doesn't increase the rates based on age/prior statements BUT I thought the limit was 20,000/year and it turns out that it's 20,000/lifetime vs Petplan being 20,000/year if you get the gold plan. I hope I never have to use that much ever and I think it's unlikely but that is something to consider.

Plus it seems like Petplan has been around longer and people seem to be really happy with them. I'm gonna call both of them soon and doublecheck things though.

PetPlan does cover HD, as well as cancer treatments, and even offers coverages for "alternative" therapies like hydrotherapy and accupuncture.

I definitely liked PetPlan not having a lifetime $$ cap, or even a per-illness $$ cap (aside from the yearly cap, but as you said $20,000/year is quite high)

Check out www.petinsurancereview.com for some great information from policy holders of just about every pet insurance company out there!! :)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We also have PetPlan insurance for our dogs. Luckily, we have never had to use it, but it sure is good to know that we have it if we ever end up needing it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Am with Petplan haven't had to use it yet :crossfing but its a gooood feeling knowing that if anything happens Molly is covered and gets the best treatment.:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pet Insurance

I'm currently with VPI and really have no complaints. I have been reviewing the Embrace policies and like that they pay a straight percentage so I'm tempted to switch. Embrace also has been receiving excellent reviews on Petinsurancereview.com.

We treat pet insurance as a forced saving plan. We recently had a major medical issue with our 10 year old golden and because we him insured we were able to make decisions based strictly on quality of life not $$$$. My wife and I both took great comfort that in the end we knew we were able to spend the money needed to obtain a proper diagnosis and get answers. The loss was hard but feeling we had not done enough would have been worse.

Good choice to get insurance on your part...I always tell people: "the purchase price of the puppy is the least expensive part".

Enjoy your new pup!

Robert

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have also heard good things about Embrace.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with you, Robert. We always want to be able to make decisions based only on the best interest of the dog, not money!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts