Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little happy post from me since Harvey and I have had a good few days! He's finally getting out of the awful biting stage (and my hands are getting less red by the day!) and he's actually enjoyable to take on walks now, so for anyone who is going through the terrible puppy stage, trust me it DOES get better!

I just had an 'awww' moment tonight where I was watching Harvey playing by himself. He has a toy box where I keep his many, many toys, and I could see him pushing things around with his paw, clearly looking for something in particular. When he couldn't find it in there he started looking around the house for it.

And when he gets tired, he goes to his crate, drags out his favorite blankie and brings it to me to curl up and sleep on my feet.

Why are these puppies so darn cute?! Sure, he still has his moments but I love that little guy so much - its a far cry from just after I brought him home and I cried and cried thinking I had made a huge mistake, that I wasn't ready or able to take care of him. I can't imagine my life without him now :)

Pointless lovey post over!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great to hear StephB.... once you get in that groove with your pup, where you can almost read each other's thoughts, it's easy to forget how much work and patience it took to get there.... All well worth it. Lot's of time, training, patience, devotion now >>> yields a lifetime of joy with your Golden.....:)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Does get better doesn't it. Think there isn't a person here when they got their pup (s) didn't worry we couldn't do it, but thankfully there are those times, sometimes it is just a moment that is so great. These little stinkers can crawl under your skin and you can't imagine life without them.

I am lucky because of having previous goldens and know puppyhood is just a short time in their lives. Trying to enjoy every day and laugh a lot at them, but honestly enjoy each month they are older. Whew - two pups are sure a handful.

Reactions: YippieKya

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
I went through this same thing. Koda is 8 months now and I cannot say how in love with her I am! :) She is my world now!! My hubby's too! I never had pets and didn't realize the work they are but after you get through that little hump you just did it is all sooooo worth it. The love they give back is incredible!

I love how he looked for the one specific toy, they know what they want! :) Sounds like a wonderful dog and a great companion for you! So happy for you!!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
wonderful, sweet post!!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

When I had Brady as a puppy, I remember thinking "now I know why people give up." I remember being more exhausted with him than I was with any of my newborn children.

They do become the best dogs in the world.

Many times I have seen on this board, "There is a reason why God makes them so cute -- for survival."

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Newborn babies don't have four little feet and shark teeth to deal with.... oh, so many times I second guessed my time with Bayne, now, I wouldn't trade him for anything. He is improving every day and showing the potential of the awesome adult dog he is becoming. Just love his show off ways, "hey, look at me, I'm so smart!".

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yes, we're just getting there, too. (I notice your puppy is just a couple weeks older than ours.) Mostly he's decided that being petted is better than just about any other activity. Maybe it's because he's now just big enough than when he sits beside me, I can easily reach his head to pet him.

We still have a lot of growing up, though. All that calmness disappears when another dog or person shows up. And he's still only about half his adult weight (42 lbs now). We're trying to imagine him twice as big.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Perfect day for this thread. On the phone this morning with a long distance relative the usual question was asked of me.. How much is Sadie biting you guys this week, and for the first time in forever I was able to say, well my sweet, loving, cuddly, smart, gorgeous (you get it) girl hasnt bitten us once. I love her so much it makes my heart feel expanded.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I always say things got better for us after about 4 months and it looks like they did for you too!

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
Just a little happy post from me since Harvey and I have had a good few days! He's finally getting out of the awful biting stage (and my hands are getting less red by the day!) and he's actually enjoyable to take on walks now, so for anyone who is going through the terrible puppy stage, trust me it DOES get better!

I just had an 'awww' moment tonight where I was watching Harvey playing by himself. He has a toy box where I keep his many, many toys, and I could see him pushing things around with his paw, clearly looking for something in particular. When he couldn't find it in there he started looking around the house for it.

And when he gets tired, he goes to his crate, drags out his favorite blankie and brings it to me to curl up and sleep on my feet.

Why are these puppies so darn cute?! Sure, he still has his moments but I love that little guy so much - its a far cry from just after I brought him home and I cried and cried thinking I had made a huge mistake, that I wasn't ready or able to take care of him. I can't imagine my life without him now :)

Pointless lovey post over!
I love your post! That's great you and Harvey have had some good days. I have a four month old too and the first few months were, to be totally honest, quite miserable. I'll bet I cried more than you did though! ;) Fortunately he woke up on Christmas Eve day, the day before he turned 4 months old, and acted like a new boy. He was acting so good I thought there was something wrong with him. I was afraid it wouldn't last, but it has so far! :)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I love your post! That's great you and Harvey have had some good days. I have a four month old too and the first few months were, to be totally honest, quite miserable. I'll bet I cried more than you did though! ;) Fortunately he woke up on Christmas Eve day, the day before he turned 4 months old, and acted like a new boy. He was acting so good I thought there was something wrong with him. I was afraid it wouldn't last, but it has so far! :)

I remember that day when Brady started behaving too. That whole week I was unsure whether to call the vet in case he was sick.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I remember that day when Brady started behaving too. That whole week I was unsure whether to call the vet in case he was sick.
Haha, love this, I remember when it happened with Chester he had been staying with friends and I was sure it was the wrong pup they had brought back!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Boy, can I relate! Tucker is just about 8 months, and the change in the last few weeks is ubelievable. Both me and the hubby (and our three young children) are really starting to fall in love with the bugger. Such a relief to put those tough days behind us. The "veterans" on this forum are probably laughing right now, as Tuck is only 8 months. I know, we have a long way to go! :)

·
M&M's mom
264 Posts
So Thankful

I really appreciate the positive outlook. My Maizie isn't quite there yet, but your comments in this thread give me hope. :crossfing

Mom of Maizie

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all!

For anyone in disbelief that their puppy will ever get there, there were days I sat in the house in tears thinking I wasn't up for the challenge. Now I look at his beautiful little face and I'm so very glad I didn't give up. I'm lucky that I have a lot of help with him, people who are eager to spend an afternoon with him, so if I need a break or need to go grocery shopping they will be fighting to take him out :D And he doesn't complain, the more the merrier!

This afternoon I've been cooking for a few hours and he dragged his bed into the kitchen to sleep next to me. Such a helpless little thing - I honestly look at him and I could cry, thinking about how that's all a dog wants, company and love, and so many don't get it. I have no idea how people can mistreat such a vulnerable little thing. Sure, there are times I get frustrated because he's done something wrong or made a mess, but he's a baby, he doesn't understand! He's usually pretty proud of his mess and destruction haha

Anyway, it does get better, I promise! Just give them all the love, guidance and patience you can, the same as you'd treat your children, and they will get there :)

Untitled by StephBarry, on Flickr

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
There could never be a 'pointless' lovey thread! I wonder: did he ever find the toy he was looking for?

When Penny got to this stage, I had time to breathe a bit and then be in AWE of everything SHE had had to go thru with ME. It's so hard for our pups because they are doing what comes naturally to them; what makes them adults dogs that can survive. They are not born knowing that someone will take care of them for the rest of their lives...God willing. It's so much to expect that they will readily give up their instincts and conform to what WE think is proper and acceptable behavior. But they do, it takes months but they do it. They are much better at this process than we are. :curtain:

Thank you all!

For anyone in disbelief that their puppy will ever get there, there were days I sat in the house in tears thinking I wasn't up for the challenge. Now I look at his beautiful little face and I'm so very glad I didn't give up. I'm lucky that I have a lot of help with him, people who are eager to spend an afternoon with him, so if I need a break or need to go grocery shopping they will be fighting to take him out :D And he doesn't complain, the more the merrier!

This afternoon I've been cooking for a few hours and he dragged his bed into the kitchen to sleep next to me. Such a helpless little thing - I honestly look at him and I could cry, thinking about how that's all a dog wants, company and love, and so many don't get it. I have no idea how people can mistreat such a vulnerable little thing. Sure, there are times I get frustrated because he's done something wrong or made a mess, but he's a baby, he doesn't understand! He's usually pretty proud of his mess and destruction haha

Anyway, it does get better, I promise! Just give them all the love, guidance and patience you can, the same as you'd treat your children, and they will get there :)

Untitled by StephBarry, on Flickr

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
Congatulations Steph. I am also looking forward to the days when Darby finds a walk or playing ball is more important than chewing on a load of cypress mulch or trimming my trees for me! Good luck and enjoy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts