Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I'm an idiot - getting a 2d golden
Hey I resemble that remark :doh:!!

Actually if you have the basics down with your current pup a second is not a bad idea. You are right that it will more than likely provide stimulation and exercise for your pup. Just realize sometimes it may be moree stimulation than you are looking for. Two dogs in my opinion is not much more work than one. Once they are both leash trained you should be able to walk both at the same time. Grooming is not that bid of a deal. And if you are real lucky your vet will offer you a multiple pet discount that will help ease some of that added cost.
Good luck and we won't let you forget about the photos.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
2 sounds a lot better than 1....I have been seriously considering joining the idiotic world.:D

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
2 sounds a lot better than 1....I have been seriously considering joining the idiotic world.:D
:greenboun:greenboun:greenboun:greenboun:greenboun:cookoo::cookoo::cookoo::cookoo::cookoo::cookoo::jester::jester::jester::jester::jester::welcome::welcome::dblthumb2:dblthumb2

What a fun world it is!!!!! Anyone else want to join the crazy "Idiot" Association (Hey that's the CIA!!!!)

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I think having multiples is a great blessing. We've got two golden littermates, a rescue springer, and an old Aussie. They make our lives filled with love, goofiness and living in the moment...... I wouldn't trade for anything. We love them to bits. And, like others have said, we'd much rather spend time with our crew than many other people/family we know.

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
most good breeders won't sell littermates. the pups bond to each other too strongly, making them much harder to train. you did it the right way, wait until the one is over 6 months old before getting another.

·
Look at that face...
89 Posts
I'm the odd man out! We just tried having 2 Goldens and RIGHT NOW, it didn't work for us. BUT I have a severely autistic child to take care of, a diva 7 year old child to take care of, and a 10 month old going-to-be-a-toddler soon to take care of....plus a year old not-quite all the way trained 75 pound Sam. Add in another almost year-old who wasn't neutered yet, and I couldn't handle it. They were so big and loved to wrestle and my baby was rolled over numerous times, among other things. I LOVED him (the dog, lol...well, the baby too, rofl) to pieces but right now, I couldn't do it. I feel like a bad person for that....but someday in a couple of years, I am ALL OVER getting another Golden. I LOVE having them, they are the best breed I've ever been around. Sam loved having a friend, but he still seems happy with us and with our neighborhood dogs that he plays with almost every day.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I'm in the school of two goldens is three times the fun. My two really do a great job of entertaining each other. I just need to find lots of open spaces for them to do it in. :p:

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm the odd man out! We just tried having 2 Goldens and RIGHT NOW, it didn't work for us. BUT I have a severely autistic child to take care of, a diva 7 year old child to take care of, and a 10 month old going-to-be-a-toddler soon to take care of....plus a year old not-quite all the way trained 75 pound Sam. Add in another almost year-old who wasn't neutered yet, and I couldn't handle it. They were so big and loved to wrestle and my baby was rolled over numerous times, among other things. I LOVED him (the dog, lol...well, the baby too, rofl) to pieces but right now, I couldn't do it. I feel like a bad person for that....but someday in a couple of years, I am ALL OVER getting another Golden. I LOVE having them, they are the best breed I've ever been around. Sam loved having a friend, but he still seems happy with us and with our neighborhood dogs that he plays with almost every day.
WOW! ! I can certainly understand in your situation that two was just WAY too much. Your focus definitely needs to be on your children and their needs. For us, we are empty nesters and have the time for all the needs of these multiples.
BTW, our littermates are very bonded to us. DH and I each had a dog to take to class, to walk, etc. They are definitely the best trained, easiest puppers we've ever had. I can't imagine life without them !!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I'm a firm believer in a ton of attention and physical contact in a pups first days/weeks to socialize and establish dominance. But I'm wondering if Clover won't resent the attention the new pup is getting.

Probably overthinking it, because if I'm down on the floor, I can cuddle 2 fluffballs as well as 1 - and hopefully they will be cuddling each other.

Did you guys bring your older dog with when picking up your 2d? I'm interested in seeing how Clover reacts to/interacts with the parents - both on site - as well as the pups.
Clover likely won't resent it. My first was a little depressed the first day I brought Lily home, and was just trying to figure things out. I find now that my needier one will come over for love when the other is getting attention. She doesn't resent the other getting petted, she just wants in on it. I'm sure she will love checking out her new sibling!

As for bringing the older dog along, I think you may have a lot going on at that point and the ride home and it may be best to leave her at home. Having them meet on neutral ground is always a safe bet.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
"Did you guys bring your older dog with when picking up your 2d? I'm interested in seeing how Clover reacts to/interacts with the parents - both on site - as well as the pups."

That is how Blush got her name! Layla was so depressed after our foster left, we knew it was time to become a 2 dog family. Layla sat in her crate the entire way down to get Blush (4 hour drive) and sighed, she was so sad it killed me. But when we got there & she saw Blush's mom & grandma she perked up. when the breeder brought out the pups, Layla wiggled all over & went crazy. It hit me right then, & we stuck with it. Blush's AKC registration reads: "Ramsey's Bringin' the Wiggle Back"

The breeder allowed Layla to come into the house while we filled out the paperwork & chatted. She played with Blush's entire family, it made me feel good to see how the adults acted to a strange 7 month old pup in their home.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
That is how Blush got her name! Layla was so depressed after our foster left, we knew it was time to become a 2 dog family. Layla sat in her crate the entire way down to get Blush (4 hour drive) and sighed, she was so sad it killed me. But when we got there & she saw Blush's mom & grandma she perked up. when the breeder brought out the pups, Layla wiggled all over & went crazy. It hit me right then, & we stuck with it. Blush's AKC registration reads: "Ramsey's Bringin' the Wiggle Back"

What a cute story- I can picture it!

Dinsdale- I can totally understand the 2nd dog thing. Even though Tucker is our 1st golden, I am already contemplating the 2nd. It won't be right away, but someday! I wish I could say it would be for Tucker to have a companion, but to be honest, it is just me being totally selfish thinking about how much fun 2 would be!

·
Park, Cam and Ty Rule!
1,038 Posts
"Did you guys bring your older dog with when picking up your 2d? I'm interested in seeing how Clover reacts to/interacts with the parents - both on site - as well as the pups."
I would make sure to ask the breeder about bringing your second dog with you prior to doing it. Puppy pick up day is usually a very busy time for them, and they might not be interested in having your resident dog there.

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
I would make sure to ask the breeder about bringing your second dog with you prior to doing it. Puppy pick up day is usually a very busy time for them, and they might not be interested in having your resident dog there.
I have allowed families that are picking up a second dog from us to bring them along on going home day...there were puppy pick up photos of Adi with one of her babies ;) and they were taking home one of Tauri's baby girls...sometimes it helps with introductions as it is on neutral turf ...but please do ask your breeder beforehand.

Adi always seems to know just who her kids are when the come back to visit :) It is a wonderful sight! You'll love having two!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I didn't take my older dog along when picking up the pup. However, the first meeting was a joy, as the puppy was frightened after the journey home and was in her crate (to settle a bit). As soon as she saw Obi, she came to the front of the cage and wanted to be with him. It was as easy as that and we haven't split them up since. The pup slept in the crate for the first few weeks, then she crept into his bed with him.

We had more worries about the older dog (1year old) being too rough with the puppy, than him not accepting her. He only ever growled at her once which is amazing, and has never hurt her which is even more amazing if you knew Obi!!! They share everything, even bones, and have got each other to play with, sniff things with, meet other dogs with, sleep with, run with... they have the perfect life I think!!!

The best bit is that they are really quite different with different personalities, and there is plenty of dog for the family to cuddle, so they get a lot of love!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
We drove to check out some pups on Friday, but decided not to go with them. Have another couple of feelers out - but most likely, Clover's parents are going to be bred again this winter, so we'll probably go with one of those pups. Sould bring the 2d home sometime in March or so.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts