Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son picked out a bone for Sienna at the supermarket- I thought it would be fine, like one of those hard ones just with a lot of sauce. We gave it to her Monday night and she was in heaven... then I saw that it disintigrated into little pieces as she chewed it... thing is, they were sharp pieces. With difficulty we got half of it away from her. I fed her a slice of bread. I thought she was fine... then yesterday she threw up her breakfast- not really liquid- just undigested kibble, but was acting fine. Her poops were a bit yellowy. She is acting totally fine- full of energy and mischief. This morning I went to get her out of the crate and she had thrown up a bit- same kind of thing, with a bit more liquid. She pooped just fine this morning and has an insane appetite and drinking.

I can not fathom that I was this stupid. There is no blood. The poop is pretty solid... Is there anything I can give her to help settle her stomach- I don't believe she has a blockage since she is pooping and eating fine, but I think the bone pieces are staying in her stomach and upsetting it-she had this problem with a nylabone when she was a puppy. How long does food stay in the stomach?

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I'm not sure I can provide any advice, but don't be mad at yourself. It happens to each of us, and we all learn from our experiences. What kind of bone was it? Rawhide?

I'm sure others will give you some advice. Maybe you could give a call to your vet in the meantime to see what he/she says.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If you are concerned there are still undigested sharp pieces in her stomach you might want to take her to the vet. My gut is she is probably okay if she is acting normal, and her appetite has not changed. My only concern would be you say she is eating and drinking a lot - if this is a lot higher intake than normal that is a sign to take her to the vet. My vet recommends no food or treats for 24 hours, water only, after vomiting more than a few times... then cut back the first meal drastically, or feed plain cooked chicken with some natural whole grain rice (in small portions) for the first few meals back.

Those rawhide treats can be killer on their digestive systems. The only treats I buy at the grocery are Nylabones, Greenies and a box of natural dog biscuits. A good rule of thumb is to stay away from anything made in China (that rules out most of the bones at the super market), rawhide, pig ears, etc. A lot of times you see rawhide or sterilized bones filled with some flavorful filling that ends up upsetting the dog's stomach, and is made with all sorts of chemicals.

Don't beat yourself up over it... trust me, I've made more than my fair share of mistakes with Milly, and she's still wagging her tail and thrilled to see me when I walk in the door.

If the vommitting persists or you see changes go to your vet immediatley. You might also want to search and see if the treat fed was involved in any of the recent recalls - the grocery store I normally use has recalled treats on their shelves still, or they did until I printed it out and brought it to the manager's attention.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It can stay in the stomach for quite a few days (read Honey golf ball thread) but in as little as 24 hours the acid in the stomach helps break it down (well does golf ball fragments) but would check the poop for a good few days to find any pieces to make sure it is passing through.
Hope Sienna is okay now, but if you are worried I think a trip to the vets would be best.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
We have gotten "baked" bones for our dogs and had that happen. We usually are right there so we have not experienced what you have. I am sorry. Now I don't buy anything but plain bones or "filled". Flavored bones I think are baked in. That makes the bone more brittle. No fun tasty stuff for my dogs.

I hope Sienna will be just fine. Hard lesson sorry. :(

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think I would call the vet just to be on the safe side but it sounds like it didnt agree with her and her system is rebeling. Good luck. You are not an idiot. My hubby did the same thing and he learned his lesson when he had to wash 4 butts several times a day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Brisket Bones are a huge hit with my guys. They can chew to their hearts content and eat up the whole bone.....no leftovers. Have been feeding my guys these for years with absolutely no problems. Really soft bones I get from the butcher.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
She may need her stomach xrayed if there are sharp pieces inside.
So sorry.

Was it a raw bone?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts