Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I was walking my dog today when my dog ended up pooping on someone's lawn. The person started to yell while my dog was still pooing, and I was wondering, is it illegal for my dog to poo on their lawn if I pick it uo? BTW, I live in California if there is a certain law.

Thanks for your help!

I just found this law for my area that states "No person owning/as the guardian of or having control of any animal or animals shall permit such animal(s) to do any of the following:
(1) Defecate or urinate on private property other than that of the owner/guardian or the person having control of the animal"

So this make it illegale right?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Not sure of any laws. Some people are funny about their lawns though. I've been yelled at by a Maine State Trooper when my dog peed on his lawn. :doh:

·
Went Rogue...
599 Posts
It's illegal if you poo on their lawn, but not for your dog.

Sheesh, everybody knows that!
(Just kidding!)

:curtain:

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I admit I get upset if you don't pick it up! However if you are a responsible dog owner, we won't say a word. The other day, some young people (teenagers maybe?) were walking a dog. It took a dump in our yard and they headed on their marry way. My husband opens the door and says "do you need a bag to pick that up?" He hands them one. Hopefully they will know better next time.

Ann

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Another side note is that if you were on the sidewalk there is a very good chance that your dog was still within the road right-of-way and not actually on the persons property. Most road right of ways are much wider than the actual width of the road and sidewalk. In my town most road right of ways are 66' wide. A typical street is 24 to 28' wide and a typical sidewalk is 4'-8 wide.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I think it is illegal around here, even if you pick up the poop. I usually walk my dogs early in the morning, long before sunrise, so it isn't a problem. But I've been yelled at when my dogs were just slowing down to sniff something and I was carrying a rather full bag of poop, evidence that I clean up after my dog's. I do my best to avoid letting them set foot on others' property, especially if I've had trouble with the person before.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I'm in CA too. I'm not sure of the legality, but in general, I try and keep pooping limited to the parkway (streetside section of grass) and make sure to always pick it up.

When I walk my dogs on Flexis, I don't let them roam up in people's yards, poop or no poop. Just feels a bit rude to me.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I'm not sure if it's illegal in our town or not, but we do have several signs in our cul-de-sac that say "scoop the poop." We always carry plastic bags with us on our walks. I know that we would be pretty annoyed if someone let their dog poop on our lawn and not bother to pick it up. We try to keep our yard as poop-free as possible by cleaning up after our own dogs on a daily basis.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm in CA too. I'm not sure of the legality, but in general, I try and keep pooping limited to the parkway (streetside section of grass) and make sure to always pick it up.

When I walk my dogs on Flexis, I don't let them roam up in people's yards, poop or no poop. Just feels a bit rude to me.
Most of the roads in our town don't even have sidewalks, and those that do, there is no grass between the sidewalk and road. There is no sidewalk on either side of the road we live on. So my pup poops on people's lawns although we always pick it up. I hope I'm not upsetting people! I never thought about it being an issue since we are always careful to pick up.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Most of the roads in our town don't even have sidewalks, and those that do, there is no grass between the sidewalk and road. There is no sidewalk on either side of the road we live on. So my pup poops on people's lawns although we always pick it up. I hope I'm not upsetting people! I never thought about it being an issue since we are always careful to pick up.
For me, I guess it would depend on how far up my lawn you came. If there's no parkway, well, the dog's gotta go somewhere! If you kept your dog somewhat near where you were walking, I'd be cool with that, but when the dog starts travelling way up onto the property, running around like he owns the place...... to me (and I may be alone in this quirk!), that's a bit rude.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Good point Steph. I guess it depends a bit on how "urban" you are. In my small city I have my guys trained to poo on vacant lots for the most part. I carry bags for when they get it wrong. My guys seem to prefer tall grass to relieve themselves so we do pretty well.

For me, I guess it would depend on how far up my lawn you came. If there's no parkway, well, the dog's gotta go somewhere! If you kept your dog somewhat near where you were walking, I'd be cool with that, but when the dog starts travelling way up onto the property, running around like he owns the place...... to me (and I may be alone in this quirk!), that's a bit rude.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I always carry a plastic walmart bag along with two paper towels to pick up Bailey's poop. I NEVER allow her to walk in anyone else's yard, ever! I do think it's rude and not everyone likes dogs. I don't like other dogs in my yard either. There is a huge potential that they could bite one of my three children.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I try to keep the dogs off of people's lawns too, I don't like kids or dogs waltzing on the grass, it seems rude. Neighbor's cats included!

I know my cousin got totally fed up with her neighbors, her front/side yard is where the area mailbox is, so everyone comes home from work, takes the dog 'for a walk' to get the mail - her lawn around the mailbox/sidewalk was getting so many pee spots it wasn't even funny and she had to poopscoop daily after people. So, she put up a camera and a sign letting people know she'd be sending the video into animal control from then on, and started putting her sprinklers on a timer to come on around the right time of days too.... don't blame her! One neighbor even let his dog out in the front, he'd come poop on her lawn and then run home.... so she collected it all and dumped it on their front step.

Lana

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in Southern California. There are city and county ordinances that state you may not allow your dog or cat on anybody's property this is not limited to just the yards but also the driveways. It's private property. So, I have a golden, but I will not allow him on anybody's property. He has to walk on the street (not the sidewalk) next to the sidewalk until we get to the park and then he can sniff about with me having bag in hand to clean it up. I personally think it is rude to allow your dogs into someone else s yard. They mow it, fertilize it, water it. I don't pay them a dime to maintain it because it's Not mine... Why should my dog get to use it and leave blades of grass with poop on them or better yet a pee stain in there yard. Just my thoughts though:) My boy has the whole back yard, but I take great pride in having a nice front yard also we are association based, so we have to maintain a green front yard at all times. It would really upset me to have to plant seed because someone thought it was cool to let there dog tinkle in my yard. Notice the word MY... Let your dog tinkle and poop in YOUR yard then take him for a stroll, or take him to an empty lot or the park, any where but my yard. LOL.Any hew just my dimes worth....

·
16,000 Posts
I live in Southern California. There are city and county ordinances that state you make not allow your dog or cat on anybody's property this is not limited to just the yards but also the driveways. It's private property. So, I have a golden, but I will not allow him on anybody's property. He has to walk on the street until we get to the park and then he can sniff about with me having bag in hand to clean it up. I personally think it is rude to allow your dogs into someone else s yard. They mow it, fertilize it, water it. I don't pay them a dime to maintain it because it's Not mine... Why should my dog get to use it and leave blades of grass with poop on them or better yet a pee stain in there yard. Just my thoughts though:)

THANK you. It is simply common courtesy. I don't allow my dogs to eliminate on your property, and I'd appreciate it if you do not allow yours to do so on mine. I don't know if your dog is healthy, or has intestinal parasites that my dogs are now exposed to because you deemed it your right to allow your dog to defecate in our yard.
We have dogs. We love them. Other people may not. Our rights do not trump theirs. I often fully understand non-dog lover's frustration with us. I cannot tell you how many times I have poop scooped green spaces at hotels where others have left without cleaning up after their dogs. Is it any wonder that finding hotels that will accomodate pets is getting harder and harder? The same with many public spaces.
We need to be more considerate.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Wow, this makes me feel like a jerk! I let Flora pee on the edge of people's yards and she has been known to poop in their yards too (I pick it up.) If not, then she takes a crap on the street and that's harder to clean up (believe me, I've done it.) I figured so long as I picked it up it was okay, but maybe not. I feel bad now.

If people don't like dogs urinating on their property, how do you avoid it? Flora tends to pee 2-3 times on our walks, and it's not like I can physically stop her.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kdmarsh,

When I see my boy looking like he needs to tinkle or poop I go into a light jog. I don't know what else to do, but I have to be really honest here, I would rather he go in the street and I will pick it up the very best I can and I would surely let him tinkle a little in the road vs/ using my neighbors yard as his personal oasis. Everybody I don't care whom you are is going through tougher than before finacial times and having to invest any more money in our yards than we already do because your pooch had to go is just not cool with me. I do understand your position, we have all been there. And I am sure without a doubt you are a wonderful person, so I am not judging you. With that said I would rather scrape crap off the road than take from a family right now. I have personally spent atleast 200.00 on grass seed(fescue) and bags of fertilizer plus having to up the time on my sprinklers because peoples dogs just can't wait and must tinkle now. I love my boy so very much but he is 100% my responsibility and I don't want anybody else to suffer for that. No offense:) Just my opinion.....

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I guess. Flora gets very anxious when she has to go and has actually pulled the leash out of my hand because she's pulling so hard to get onto grass. I would rather have someone's dog pee on my grass than pee on my driveway, but I'm also not at all concerned about what my lawn looks like. I just... sometimes can't really control when my pooch needs to pop a squat. It's life. What about coyotes, raccoons, even squirrels? They all urinate.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not rubbing my hands together and laughing in devilish delight as Flora pisses on the edge of someone's yard, but when she's gotta go, she's gotta go! Letting her urinate in the street I think is even grosser than on the grass. I wouldn't want the next person to accidentally step in a puddle of Flora's pee.

I know my viewpoint probably rubs people the wrong way, but I feel like spending all that money on grass is ridiculous, especially in environments where there isn't SUPPOSED to be grass (Arizona, I'm looking at you!); however, it also isn't my place to tell people how to spend their money.

This gives me food for thought. Maybe I will carry around a bottle of water and pour it on her peepee to dilute it if I can't get her to a non-residential area quickly enough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Okay, I hear what you are saying I personally live in an association based community I HAVE to have my yard green I will get fined every time I have any patches of brown. It starts at 50.00 and goes up to 200.00 per offense. People who allow there dogs to pee in my yard ARE taking money out of the home owners pocket. With that being said I bought a house and let's say 10,000 sq ft yard. I OWN IT :doh:. I paid for it. I will be paying for it for many many years. So, Anybody out there that wants to contribute to my 4000.00 dollar a month mortgage is more than welcome to allow there dogs to piss and poop in my yard:) Otherwise I will be taking a picture, and following you home to get your address(It is illegal in my state) so I can inform the police dept of damage to MY property. Pay for it or get off of it.... Whew, I feel so much better now:) You have a great night:wavey:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies!

We walk in an area where it is all private property with no public grass area to "go". Even when I bring him before we leave, i guess he likes to save his poo because he goes at least twice on every walk. I don't know how I could stop him from going to the bathroom, so what would you guys to in this situation when the only public property available was the street?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts