Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Acetaminophen is a medication commonly used to alleviate fever and pain. Common brands include Tylenol®, Percoset®, aspirin free Excedrin® and various sinus, cold and flu medications. Dogs most commonly receive toxic amounts of acetaminophen because owners medicate them without consulting a veterinarian. They also consume tablets that are dropped on the floor or left lying around.

Dogs are less sensitive to acetaminophen than cats. For example, a 50 pound dog would need to ingest over seven 500 mg tablets in order to suffer toxic effects. In the cat, one 250 mg acetaminophen tablet could be fatal.

EvanG

·
Registered
98 Posts
Uplander,
2 yrs ago I lost my golden (Bailey) of 15yrs, he was a good hunter and a good friend. I wanted my new pup (Luke) to have a link to him.
www.K9data.com is a great source togather information, I was able to trace Bailey's Sire to Ambertrail's Goldens, for me and my family it was worth the 7hr trip to Canada to go there, Luke is Bailey's great grand nephew.
My brother had just lost his golden this past winter, we used the site to find some good lines, His pup comes home in 2 wks.
I do know that some of the top breeders have litters now

Ambertrails Golden
Adirondac Goldens
Fireside Retrievers
TopBrass Retrievers
RockErin Kennel
TNT Kennels
Good luck Jim

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Your dog is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I don't hunt, or do field trials. I would love to train to if I had the time. I love the field type goldens though. My Teddi is that type and I got her with out knowing there was a difference. I love her. I like all the breeder links to check out.

If it is just arthritis, I am sure there is a lot of things you can do to help him get stronger and better. Joint supplements, salmon oil, NSAIDs, all can improve the pain. I would not worry too much about putting a 9 yr old dog on something, we all need help as we age. One NSAID may last a few days, you may not have to administer daily. I am sure your vet has given you advice.

Beautiful Dog!

·
Registered
16,391 Posts
http://www.emberain.com/ Emberain

If you are on the east coast,besides that fantastic breeders already listed, Sunfire, Windrush, and Sand Dancer have some nice working lines. These dogs run MH, though, more than field trials.

I also think Kuventre has nice working dogs- Sharon and Tom Long

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for all the help and good thoughts. Rook is doing much better. We also discovered his thyroid was low and the medicine has changed his whole outlook on life. For the first time in his life, I now have to make sure everything is off the counters and the garbage is out of reach. He's hungry all the time but he seems to feel great.

I've been taking him to train w/ the spaniels on the weekends but this Sat I'm taking them both to train w/ the retriever club as I'm planning to run my ESS at the UKC tests this spring. Ironically, my springer is an exceptional retriever for his breed but his field trial potential appears limited while my golden is as good an upland dog as I've ever seen but he could never seem to count to 3 in a master/finished test. (at least not w/ any regularity)

I've more or less postponed my puppy search due to the uncertainty of my job right now but it certainly was easier to find some high quality options using the internet than it was when I did my research for Rook 10 yrs ago. For now, I'm just enjoying his company more than ever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'd like to thank those of you who have forwarded me prospects and advice. I tried to reply but it turns out "To be able to send PMs your post count must be 15 or greater"

I do appreciate the help though.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts