Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we just got back from the huge IKC show, and it was certainly an experience!
There were a total of 142 goldens entered in breed today. What a herd of simply stunning dogs! One was more gorgeous than the next. I just couldn't stop looking at them.
So I was feeling rather unconfident going in with my little Tito monster, into the amateur/owner/handler class. There were approx. 10 dogs in the class, I didn't think to count them. There were 11 listed in the catalog, I think they were all there but I'm not sure. The competitors' dogs were just gorgeous.
First, let me say that a gorgeous dog with a fantastic handler won the class. She's on the forum, so hopefully she'll post a brag.
The Tito monster placed 4th, and I was simply ecstatic. I know 4th isn't a big deal, but for him to place at all, in a group of outstanding dogs, in his AKC debut, in a massive show, just totally made my day. Several of them probably belonged in the bred-by group, as they were being handled by their breeder/owners, but the entry was free for the AOH class so I think we saw more of them in the AOH.
It was a great day, I learned a LOT, and bought some nice products!
Guess I'll keep him.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Congrats, that's wonderful. I know what you mean about all the beautiful goldens I was there yesterday and couldn't take my eyes off of them, it was a wonderful day with my grandkids and daughter. We meet a golden that took 4th place at Westminster. I just couldn't stop watching how they used the mouse and hair spray on the goldens it was just amazing. Don't know how good it is to have hair spray that close to the nose.......
Again congrats you must be very proud.....

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drat, I wish I had known you were there, you could have come up and said hi to us! Tito was the dog with the big red cover over his crate, and the big white teddy bear inside of it!
I was just fascinated watching the mousse and hairspray, too, we don't know how to use it but we do need to learn if we're ever going to do this again! It's amazing what a difference it made in the dogs before/after.
It was a great day!
One of the other interesting things for me was the variety of people showing the dogs. Quite a few were very pleasant, helpful, and just a pleasure to be around. Quite a few others were, well, not.

Congrats, that's wonderful. I know what you mean about all the beautiful goldens I was there yesterday and couldn't take my eyes off of them, it was a wonderful day with my grandkids and daughter. We meet a golden that took 4th place at Westminster. I just couldn't stop watching how they used the mouse and hair spray on the goldens it was just amazing. Don't know how good it is to have hair spray that close to the nose.......
Again congrats you must be very proud.....

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was so proud of my grandkids when they wanted to pet the dogs they asked first, being only 4 & 8 I thought what good manners. You are so right 90% of the people were very friendly but you always have that 10% that were not so nice. Were you there Saturday, you have to be so proud of Tito. I loved watching the agility, the grandkids didn't want to leave, matter of fact my grandson (8) said he would build grandma all that stuff for his backyard and train all the dogs to do that (he wants to be a scientist). Congrats again

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Could you tell us more about this show. What takes place, where it was at, and is it a yearly event.....etc.? Sounds very enjoyable.

Congrats on your showing by the way. Maybe we can watch you work in person at the next one......?

·
16,000 Posts
I was so proud of my grandkids when they wanted to pet the dogs they asked first, being only 4 & 8 I thought what good manners. You are so right 90% of the people were very friendly but you always have that 10% that were not so nice. Were you there Saturday, you have to be so proud of Tito. I loved watching the agility, the grandkids didn't want to leave, matter of fact my grandson (8) said he would build grandma all that stuff for his backyard and train all the dogs to do that (he wants to be a scientist). Congrats again
Wht a fun thing to do with your grands! You should be proud of them - it's very exciting, and when children are well behaved and remember to ask first before petting is very much appreciated by exhibitors.

Who was the Westminster dog that you met? Curious, as there is technically no 4th place... was it a dog that JAM'd?

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
One of the other interesting things for me was the variety of people showing the dogs. Quite a few were very pleasant, helpful, and just a pleasure to be around. Quite a few others were, well, not.
Yup, it's always interesting how there's some people that are very nice, and some, not so much. There's a dog show next weekend here, I'm going to watch.

Lana

·
Registered
330 Posts
You know I thought the same thing when she told me 4th place but who am I to say anything, not knowing anything about this. I don't remember what the name was (sorry) but a beautiful dog. Thanks I love my grandkids, actually I have 3 the little one is only 2 and I thought that might be to much for him, plus grandma can only handle two at a time.

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it takes place every year, it's the International Kennel Club show at McCormick place. It's a huge show. There are over 2400 dogs there every day. They have conformation, agility, obedience, rally, demonstrations, and lots and lots of vendors. It's well worth going! It's held right across the street from the Auto Show, if you're familiar with that one. The nice thing for visitors is that the show is "benched", which means the dogs have to stay all day so you get a chance to walk around and look at all the dogs, talk to the breeders, and so on.
I highly recommend going...as a visitor...it's somewhat overwhelming as an exhibitor.
www.ikcdogshow.com

Could you tell us more about this show. What takes place, where it was at, and is it a yearly event.....etc.? Sounds very enjoyable.

Congrats on your showing by the way. Maybe we can watch you work in person at the next one......?

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, we were only there on Sunday.
It's so nice when kids ask before petting the dogs; such good manners! You have every right to be proud of them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The dog from Westminster was, from what I was told, the bitch that won Best of Breed and then placed in Group. I was told she got 2nd in group, but maybe it was 4th.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Congrats on 4th, you should be very proud. It sounds like it was a great time and I want to go to a show one day.

·
Gone to the Goldens ;)
1,150 Posts
No, we were only there on Sunday.
It's so nice when kids ask before petting the dogs; such good manners! You have every right to be proud of them.
Great Job! You should be very proud of your Tito-man!

I agree, that is nice for kids to ask before petting. There is nothing more frustrating/stressful than trying to get to a ring when everyone's hands are on your dog.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts