Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while I was in my carport strapping my son in the car, i witnessed a nasty confrontaion between my neighbours! Two houses down from us have a little chihaua pup who was quite content playing in his own front yard with his owners and a small child about 18 months old. The next thing I knew, the neighbour next to them who owns a big ugly nasty looking crossbreed who I never see get exercised, got out while the owner backed her car out. What Happened next? You guessed it! The big dog went for the pup. One bite from this thing and the pup would be dead. Amongst all the screaming and numerous expletives staring with F, the owner with the big dog who got out, blames the pups owners for it being out the front! Even though it was on its own territory and doing nothing wrong. She screamed at the pups owners saying to keep the pup inside. What a nerve! it was her dog who tried to attack the pup! Boy was it heated! I am glad my other kids did not hear the language! After a bit she managed to get the dog back in its yard. I was more concerned for the young child In the middle of it all! Some people don't have a clue, Iam thinking of reporting the dog to authorities. I tell my kids not to go near the gate as it barks constantly. Should I report it or not? It could have been our Sam out the front instaed of the chihaua(can't spell it off hand!) The dog is a huge dog I can't identify. How ignorant can some people be?????

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
Expletives staring with F? Hmmmmm.....whatever could that be?

I know people are ignorant...and their big dog is the one who has to pay....

I don't know if I would report them or not.... On one hand, the dog's owners need to learn to be responsible. But on the other hand, it's not the dog's fault they aren't.

I think, after one incident....hope they learned something (despite their blaming the owner of the chihuahua). Then, if anything close to it happens again, then I'd call.

But it's a tough call, since the next incident could be much worse.....

·
3 goldens
11,678 Posts
I just made a post about our walk yesterday and the 4 dogs that came out, 3 of them hell bent on starting something with Buck, the other just a pup wanting to be friendly. Hubby was ready to call police when we got home. As he said, we obey rules, we walk our dogs on leashes and on the back streets with no sidewalk, we actuallywalk in the middle of the road. And our old man still was not safe.

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to think about it a while. Thanks Rick, it is a tough dilemma and could be worse next time, and then I would feel guilty about not doing it. The dog does not get out much, but I run inside when it does! Just in case! Damned if you do or don't???? I guess if it was Sam though I would report it, maybe ask the other neighbours with the chihaua to report it? I certainly would have had a few choice words for the owner too if it was Sam, however we all live in a small court and it makes life a little uneasy for everyone when something like this happens.It just gets my goat when people are not responsible for their pets behaviour.

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
You are the one there and can see it, so only you can know for sure if this owner of the 'big dog' is always like this. I am guessing they are.

Trust me--I am all for keeping peace with the neighbors, life is easier that way. But if these folks are just jerks, follow your gut. The dog is going to pay the price no matter what you do.

Personally--I would be HOT if I was in my own front yard and a big dog came charging at me and I got told it was my fault for using my own front yard. The fact that the owner of big dog was not even concerned about the safety of the toddler really concerns me.

Was this an isolated incident or has it happened more than once?

·
Registered
355 Posts
You may want to discreetly inquire with that neighbor and possibly others; this may not have been the first incident although it's the first that you witnessed. What if the dog had attacked the child instead of the chihuahua? The police and animal control should take a report so that there is something on file should there be any future incidents. If this helps, I believe that you may call it in but you are not obligated to provide your name or have police contact so you needn't fear repercussions from these people.

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
I do agree--they need to build a file on this dog. Correct that--on the people.

We know it is not the dogs fault.

The real dilemma here is, if that child, or any other ever does get harmed--man are you going to feel bad for NOT saying something.

Lets hope that never happens.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would try and head it off.. I would try and talk to the owner of the big dog and in a friendly manner tell him he was lucky because there could have been a huge law suit if his dog had injured or killed the other dog on that dogs property.. might make him think..if done properly..

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are the one there and can see it, so only you can know for sure if this owner of the 'big dog' is always like this. I am guessing they are.

Trust me--I am all for keeping peace with the neighbors, life is easier that way. But if these folks are just jerks, follow your gut. The dog is going to pay the price no matter what you do.

Personally--I would be HOT if I was in my own front yard and a big dog came charging at me and I got told it was my fault for using my own front yard. The fact that the owner of big dog was not even concerned about the safety of the toddler really concerns me.

Was this an isolated incident or has it happened more than once?
As far as I know an isolated incident. But every time you go past the property, the dog goes ballistic. I have seen it out before but there have been no other pets out at the time. I just try to keep my kids away. The owner said there is nothing wrong with her dog, Just as it started to attack the chihuaua! I think with that attitude the dog does not have a chance.

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
I was concerned this was not an isolated incident. It did not sound like it. Also--I surmise it is just a matter of time--but dear God I do hope not.

Yet another case of a people screwing up a perfectly good dog.

The fact that you, in your own neighborhood, try to keep your kids away speaks volumes.

There is something wrong with her dog-her.

I think we can all agree it is not the dogs fault and I hate to think in 'what if'--but in this case--trust your gut.

You might talk to the neighbor who was out with the toddler and the puppy and ask what if anything they did and share your concerns. She might just feel more comfortable saying something if she has a witness.

Some people just don't deserve dogs, sounds like your other neighbor might be one of them.

I am really sorry you are in this situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts