Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I could use some help:eek:. I promise I'll feed ya good...

Oct. 2005 started it with a freak snowfall...

Melted.

Then a few storms ago, the rest came down. No pics of that.

So we bit the bullet and took the rest of this Red Maple down AND a damaged Sugar Maple right beside it (You can see it standing in the first few pics)

Leaving now to pick up the chipper/shredder and drag out the splitter...see ya in a few weeks:(

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
WOW! Yes, I feel for ya! We have been there. Our neighbors maple fell on our house during an ice storm about 10 years ago and we didn't have power for a week!

Then a couple years ago, a giant limb in our locust (as big as some trees) fell on the other side of our roof!

Good Luck! what a job but lots of wood for someone!

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Been there, done that. And I have a lot of respect for anyone who can safely fell trees next to power/phone lines.

Hopefully you heat with wood?

SJ

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yes, just replaced our old woodburner....and can use all that wood. The fella who took both trees down this week is a friend, besides being a pro with trees.
He was in a harness for 2 hours in the Sugar Maple...it's amazing to see him work.

Tree hugger that I am, it was hard to drop the second tree....it was damaged though. My horizon is forever changed :(. What I didn't take pics of were the 3 60 foot pines that came down also, one pulling those power lines down on top of our Jeep...THAT was scary!

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sad for your trees :(

I planted 7 baby trees a couple of years ago, I'm very attached to them. I look at trees completely different now :)
Jo, my whole 3 acres is edged with ~ 75 foot pines. Probably all 45-50 years old. They are past peak and I'll be losing more....breaks my heart.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
It takes a long time for a tree to grow up. I probably sound silly to some, but the loss of an old tree is the loss of something great. I love trees. I will probably not be around to see the babies I planted grow old, probably won't even see them grown up ... I just hope someone somewhere appreciates them and cares for them as I have.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
my most favorite thing!! I'd skip the chipper & burn (love to burn!)
now that we don't have wood heat (5 years now) I'm still kinda "lost" - my whole life seemed to revolve around fire wood

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
That was a huge tree! We have several oaks in our yard which are at least that big. I always worry during high winds that one of them might come down on the house!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Just an FYI if you have a loal sawmill they might pay a nice sum for your trees to be made into lumber. I happen to love the grain in Maple lumber. Just an idea.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
It is a sad thing. We had 60' Bradford pear in our front yard for 16 years. High wind took it down last year and I am just heart sick over the loss. It was too soft and too short lived a type of tree, but it was just beautiful.

I feel your pain over the skyline change.

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
I have those same pictures from last summer. Ours crashed down (on the fence just like yours) because of wet ground then a wind storm.

We also had to take the whole tree down, but only a huge branch from the one next to it.

And then we did a super fast fence fix!

Not fun at all! BUT....we have lots of wood....curing. LOL

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, chipper/shredders are da' bomb!! I have a ginormous pile of beautiful hardwood mulch now, 3x's what I normally buy.

Both maples (One red, one Sugar) were 75 years old...I counted rings :( .

Do I need to let it season before using it, though? Need to research it, but please chime in if you know!

The funniest part was positioning the wagon to catch the shavings as they were spit out..."..left, more left..no, no back it up more".....lol

And that is one scary machine....really.

Today we'll chip up the pines branches (not saving these for mulch) and drive around the yard with it hooked to the Jeep to clean up all the other deadfall.

I'm already ahead on my Spring chores, woo hoo!!

And, Scarlett's Daddy, I am saving a few round cuts of the bases, have a table in mind. It is beautiful wood.

And tomorrow I'm running to BigLots to buy more trees....muahahaha

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Hey, that looks like our towns out here did not to long ago! Trees down everywhere :(

Many people put up "FREE Wood" signs to get help with the clean up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts