Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Hello all:)
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new puppy around Christmas time so I was looking up his parents pedigree to think of names for him and I can't find his dads info!Was wondering if anyone could take the time to help me and point me in the right direction!

Moms name is Topbrass Princess Lia-SR11637801
Dads name is The Venet Wish to Please he is from spain and I don't know the # for him

Thanks in advance:)

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
That's very exciting about getting a puppy!! I do have a suggestion, though, and I know many others will chime in with the same advice, but try to get the puppy AFTER the Christmas season. Getting a puppy is a lot of excitement and work in itself, and having Christmas excitement added in... it can be a bit much.

:D

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you:)Someone did mention that and we have decided that it would prob be better for the puppy!Until I came here I didn't even think of that!

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gonna try to get a hold of her today!She has like 3 other litters besides my puppy's so I was trying to figure it out on my own,as not to bother her!But I can't seem to find Bentley's!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Can't help on dad's info except to tell you that the only Kennel with prefix in spain with that spelling is actually Thevenet all one word. I saw the website and see that even the breeder either misspelled the name or I have no clue of the kennel. Either way sorry can't help.

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses!I did get a hold of her and it is Thevenet from spain!So pp you were right!My puppy's fathers father is Real McCoy of Glen Sheallag!Yay I found it:)Now to combine his lineage with the moms!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
MaineMom, Topbrass is a nice kennel--is it Jackie Mertens that you're dealing with? I'm attaching a link for you to look at from OFA on Princess Lia because I wanted to look at the pedigree--I didn't see hips or elbows done--is PennHip being used instead? Or is the dog coming from Canada and the hips and elbows are on file with Canadian registry? CERF also is old--perhaps a new one was not sent to OFA for the files?

http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1148759#animal

Nice working lines--a check of K9 data and GRCA yearbook online shows that Princess Lia had a littermate to get a UD; one half-sibling went on to become an agility champion--others earn advanced obedience titles. Good luck and hope that I'm just merely blowing smoke on the health clearances and if so, sorry about that.

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am buying from Golden Ridge Kennels--Roxanne Ellsworth is the breeders name!She says she has certificates for all her dogs on health clearances!I am going to have my husband call her again to make sure but she says she gives out the papers with the puppies!When we go to pick him out at the end of the month I will ask to look at the papers!!!

Thank you so much rappwizard for looking her up for me!And for bringing that to my attention!

·
16,000 Posts
I am very sorry that I checked out the website. Too many litters and random breedings for me. It states ALL dogs have ALL clearances, and specifically states OFA hips/elbows. There are a couple of dogs in the OFA database with the required clearances complete. CERF eyes are all outdated, however, and there are many dogs with no hip/elbow certs. Lia has 1/2 siblings with degenerative elbow disease and borderline hips. I would proceed with extreme caution, and do not accept being told that clearances are done unless you see concrete proof. If she's doing PennHip, she should be able to show you documentation. If she's doing OFA, ditto, and they'd be on the database (which they are not). I'd insist on this proof long before committing to a puppy.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
You've been given some good advice...there is absolutely nothing in appropriate or pushy in asking to see photocopies of the hip, elbow and heart clearances as well as current CERF(eye) from both parents before you fall in love....

You are being proactive on behalf of a dog you intend to love and care for through sickness and in health for the next 12-15 years. You want to do all you can to stack the deck in your favor of having a healthy pet that your children can share their lives with and play with for at least the next decade.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Maine Mom

Maine Mom

Congratulations!

·
Murphy's mom
1,063 Posts
I am very sorry that I checked out the website. Too many litters and random breedings for me. It states ALL dogs have ALL clearances, and specifically states OFA hips/elbows. There are a couple of dogs in the OFA database with the required clearances complete. CERF eyes are all outdated, however, and there are many dogs with no hip/elbow certs. Lia has 1/2 siblings with degenerative elbow disease and borderline hips. I would proceed with extreme caution, and do not accept being told that clearances are done unless you see concrete proof. If she's doing PennHip, she should be able to show you documentation. If she's doing OFA, ditto, and they'd be on the database (which they are not). I'd insist on this proof long before committing to a puppy.
Pointgold gave you great advice. The website causes me to hesitate. Lots of litters, doesn't sound like they are involved in any conformation, or agility or training shows. Too many of the trigger words..."creme" for example. Be cautious and check everything out.

·
Banned
13 Posts
I agree 100%!!! I would be very suspicious of this breeder and the number of litters and the number of puppies from each litter. I couldn't tell what the full price is from the web site. The females do look like Topbrass lines, very dark and fieldy looking. The Spanish male is a pitiful example of a Golden Retriever IMO. I can assure you that as awful as it sounds there are many breeders (especially those that sell for the puppy mills) that fake the sires and clearances and even put fake pictures on their web sites. For those of us that have real clearances, we know what the real thing looks like. However, its not that hard to fool honest customers.

I know the urge to get a Christmas puppy as I almost did it once. But I would try to find a local breeder and wait for something with better quality and reputable breeder. JMO and all of these puppies could be just fine. I just have a problem with anybody (even the big name breeders) producing this many litters a year. To me, this looks like a BYB that is OVER breeding and MAYBE not having all the clearances they claim to have. Just be careful.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,602 Posts
What she said!

Seriously, I would have reservations about taking home a pup from this kennel. There are just too many loose ends in my opinion. I could not in good concience advise anybody to take a pup from this kennel.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, I looked at 2 dogs they have and noticed they have female from De Zelkova kennel and male from Thevenet. Both are spanish kennels and very, very good ones. Both of them have beautiful dogs. De Zelkova has dogs from Moondust kennel from Netherlands that gave World Champion in 2006 - Moondust Masterpiece. Thevenet dogs are based on Glen Sheallag, kennel from France. IMO they had one of the best looking goldens (GS), unfortunately be very careful with HD. But gorgeous dogs.
Someone made statement about quality of the male and I'm not sure how can he see quality from very few photos of dogs head and sitting?
Even though the dogs are from really quality kennels I wouldn't buy from that "breeder". No pedigree, no shows no nothing... no planned breeding... (color is not the reason to breed 2 dogs) not even photos in stack.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts