Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been a little too forgiving with my training misbehavior lately and need to teach my guys not to tackle people with love when they first see them.
I have one that need to grab something and walk around like a nut talking (rooing) and rubbing up against you with a golden lean like a cat for about ten minutes until you can give him a proper greeting and pet. I seem to be able to control this with a treat…I don’t have treat handy all the time. The other is a happy face running at you full speed with glee and let me greet you like the French with a kiss to your face and I also need to do a little puppy pounce and jump to reach your face. And the excitement lasts for both about ten minutes.

They are just very happy to see us when we arrive, but everyone gets this greeting…only the first time they see you come through the door. If your sitting Scout climbs into your lap and you get a face washing.

I have my grandmother coming to stay with my folks and I need to be able to get these guys in the house without knocking her over. She is 95 and a golden greeting might kill her.

Scout I can 100% still control with a treat. Noah tends to be in an over excitement moment and his hearing is lost until I can make him sit.
Any ideas how to make coming home or going into others houses not so exciting? And we really don’t make a big deal when we arrive home. The first thing we do is try and get them to go out…

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Oh my! I pretty much have the same problem! I'm having my cousin staying with us soon and we still have problems with Molly 'tackling people with love'! have you tried the time outs? That's what we are doing and it seems to be working. It still takes a good 5 to 10 minutes to calm down but she seems to get the point quicker then before! As soon as her paws leave the ground and she jumps on our guest or worst tackles them, we take her by the scruff and confine her to a room for a while. Then she comes out if she's calm. If she does it again, she's back to the room!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Max goes completely insane for the first few minutes someone comes over and then clams down and prances about with his tail wagging proudly. If anyone does have good advice to help with this, I am also very interested in hearing it!! Max is much to big to be jumping/licking/molesting anyone who walks through my door.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
I must say that both Austin and Lincoln are pretty good at greeting people when they come in the house now. Lincoln still gets a little excited but within a couple of minutes, he settles down. I think the big with them was to make sure whoever came to the house did not greet them with petting, talking, etc. They talked to us and when the puppies settled down, then they got their attention.

They still have the occasional slip up but that's usually when grandma and grandpa come over for a visit.

Lincoln usually greets his daddy by standing on his hind legs and pretty much dancing.....and he's a fairly heft boy!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
You could try asking your guests to completely ignore the dogs when they are behaving that way. Once the dog settles down and behaves politely, than they can lay on the affection. They will eventually learn that the way to get love and attention is to be calm. If you have some friends or neighbours that are able to help out, you could arrange times for them to drop by for a few minutes to practice this.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Since you need a quick fix if your grandparent is coming soon, I would have someone hold Noah on leash in a stay when Grandma enters. Wait till Grandma is seated and then let Noah greet her on lead.so he can be controlled.

You can practice this before hand with someone holding him in a stay on lead when you enter and then give him a treat as well as Scout. That's the way we trained ours.

To be honest they are still very exhuberant in greeting guests but they don't jump up. But Gunner likes to lean against legs and would injure an elderly person. So I would hold him if an elderly person was coming to visit.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I think a solution would be to have the leashes on the dogs for greeting times and keep them short for Gramma until they are calmed down - you also might have her tell them to sit and give them a cookie (while on leash) so that they are used to sitting in front of her instead of jumping etc.

My dog Piper was really bad for jumping and unless I had a leash on her she kept jumping until she grew up (2 years or so) ;)

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I had used bitter apple with my last Golden and she hated it. I would have her on a leash when my Grandma came to visit and I would give my Grandma the bottle of Bitter apple to HOLD when she came in so Sandy would not bother her..she just would hold it out...maybe a little sad for Sandy but it saved my Grandam. Once she was seated I would let Sandy off the leash, but she would not go too near Grandma because she had the bitter apple bottle in her hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts