Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
GO IRISH!
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is probably a common thing? I'm assuming/hoping. Rosebud has decided that our beagle's food tastes better after it's been processed! :yuck: any ideas? Should I be really concerned?

thanks in advance

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
We have 2 poop eaters here. We've tried all the food additives with no relief. THe only thing that works here is a super fast shovel. I clean up as they poo.

·
GO IRISH!
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've been doing that. We are out there with scoopers as they go. Grossest thing ever... Rosebud grabbed it as Molly went! ick!! Lots of yelling and shooing and it was fine, but yuck non the less.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Good time to work on 'NO' and ' drop it'. ; )

·
Registered
277 Posts
we recently moved to farm, and Pumba's got a lot more 'variety' to choose from -.- we do our best to catch her thinking about it before actually eating it, but it is difficult

·
GO IRISH!
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pumba is appropriately named then :). On the NO and Drop it! She's doing so well with that, hikes and backpacking with her is awesome! If we tell her No and shoo her, she'll drop it and because of her soft mouth it's not even nibbled on. Sigh... it's just something we'll deal with I suppose, lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ick! Ozzy will eat rabbit, duck and cat poop but doesn't seem interested in dog poop. My last dog ate her own poop when she was young but grew out of it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Pumba is appropriately named then :).
haha indeed she is! i was a little disappointed at first.. took her til she was about 5 months to successfully catch and eat her first bug lol.. and my boyfriend asks me every time she eats poop, farts or belches why i named her Pumba again haha

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Pumba19 please be careful about what she eats at that farm. If it is from an animal that was just wormed, mostly they worm with ivermectrin, it can kill the dog. Never let your dog eat horse poop or cow pods because you never know.

Make sure when the farmer worms his animals no wormer tubes are left out either. Dogs die from this. K

·
Registered
277 Posts
oh interesting, thanks for the info, like i said when she's not tied up, we keep a pretty close eye on her and correct her the moment she thinks or even grabs a nibble of poop. she listens very well, so it's not hard to get her to stop =)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My puppy eats her own poop if we do not clean it up right away. It really grosses out my wife to the point that she doesn't want the pup even around her. I hope she grows out of it because nothing works right now.

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Both of mine think the kitty's litterbox is THE place to be for treats. Blech. We have the boys and the litterboxes separated at all times. Probably the #1 thing that makes me feel like throwing up - a dog coming to breathe in my face with cat poop breath. <shivers>

·
Registered
41 Posts
I started clicker training right off the bat, so after he poops, I click and he runs for a cookie then I toss it in the opposite direction and that's when I make a mad dash with paper towels in hand..you gotta be quick!!

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
Both of mine think the kitty's litterbox is THE place to be for treats. Blech. We have the boys and the litterboxes separated at all times. Probably the #1 thing that makes me feel like throwing up - a dog coming to breathe in my face with cat poop breath. <shivers>
Ugh. I know that smell!! I've learned to warn my friends and family with cat boxes to close the doors to the rooms where they are!! :yuck:

My dog also eats *some* other dogs' poo - never her own. But there are clearly differences among the offerings, and she knows that when I am nearby, it's not going to happen. She is very good at leaving it when I tell her to. But if she's halfway across the park and finds some? She hoovers it as fast as she can because she knows I'm running as fast as I can to get her off it! And if I do catch her in the act - it's back on the leash and straight home.

·
GO IRISH!
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone, it's a little refreshing to know that I'm not alone. I think I will try the pineapple and see how that goes. She also have a vet appointment Friday, so I will see what the vet offers as advice. I would hate to think she isn't fully absorbing the nutrition in her food. We use Acana grasslands, maybe Molly (our beagle) is having a hard time digesting it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh well...no more "give me kisses". :D :doh:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I started feeding my goldens dried pineapple every day - just a small piece and they stopped eating poop!

·
Registered
586 Posts
My last golden pup was a poop eater. Thankfully, she grew out of it. Maya has been enticed to dine on a few bunny pellets here and there, but she doesn't touch her own. I try not to think about all the things she puts in her mouth when she lathers my face with wet ones!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts