Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Thanks all! My question for those that had affected dogs is when did you notice it? Should I see something by now? Note that I may have inspected him w a flashlight while he was sleeping.... I do have an upcoming vet appt and will of course ask. Just looking for some owner advice while I was stressing! Thank you
There is nothing that can be done IF he is an ICT affected animal. Usually an affected is a matter of a housekeeping irritation-I had one for training that I swear it took months and months to get the outline of her crate out of my cloth upholstery from ONE car ride... and like I mentioned before, affecteds appear to be GI weaker than other dogs in an inflammatory way.
It is possible to be affected and not be symptomatic, though, so since you have the product of two carriers, it's a good idea to do the DNA. Be sure when you do it not to contaminate the swab with other animal DNA, etc. Just follow the instructions. I think Embark is a bargain- they test for everything Goldens can carry that has a test and I think it's about$160 or so. Pawprint Genetics also has a test- you can do just the ICT test there for about $50 but both of them run sales pretty often so do no rely on my cost estimate!
Usually an affected will be apparent by 5-6 weeks or so, but there is always the possiblity of it not showing up in a timely way so the DNA test is the only way to diagnose it. Even if you asked your vet to do sampling biopsies, it's possible that will miss it and that is invasive. Stress not- it is what it is. He does have over 50% chance of being a carrier, and carrier animals have no associated issues. I'm sorry for my part of the back and forth on your question- I just cannot stand the constant fear mongering.. it does no one any good and wasn't pertinent to your question.

·
Super Moderator
725 Posts
Thanks all! My question for those that had affected dogs is when did you notice it? Should I see something by now? Note that I may have inspected him w a flashlight while he was sleeping.... I do have an upcoming vet appt and will of course ask. Just looking for some owner advice while I was stressing! Thank you
In my case, we didn’t notice it really until Denver was 8ish months (after initially noticing it at 6 weeks). Before then we saw minimal flaking here or there. We bathed every 2 weeks and brushed daily before then, and we also have him omega treats for his coat...so maybe we inadvertently caused his symptoms to be pretty mild from the beginning. Now that he’s older I do notice flaking if we go longer than a couple weeks without bathing. I’m pretty on top of it now that he is DNA confirmed, and he gets a fatty acid supplement now as well. He eats PPP focus chicken.

Edit: I went through paw print. At the time they were having a Valentine’s Day sale of 40% off and they literally run sales ALL the time.

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,421 Posts
Just a reminder everyone, please be respectful to one another when making posts and keep the Forum Rules in mind when making posts.........

·
Registered
591 Posts
I noticed “puppy dandruff” and then it went away. I knew what I had when I sent him to the trainer and saw him a few days later and he clearly had white flakes, much larger then dandruff, and my guy is dark golden so it stood out. That was around 6-7 months. I had him DNA tested around 9 months and found out for sure. I didn’t DNA test because of ICT, I was worried about NCL.
For my guy it seems to be very mild. I really have only seen flakes twice in two years and each time they lasted about a week. No itching, no GI issues, etc. I know that some have it much worse then others. I’m hoping ours stays the same. I feed PPP chicken Sport 30/20 and give omega supplements. It may be why it’s never gotten bad ?? I feed that blend because he’s very active.
I bathe him every other week. I do use a conditioner on him, but I do that with both my guys. I brush them both once a day and I do use a dog blow dryer. Moe dock dives in the summer and swims everyday so I always rinse him out.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Golden Retriever Ichthyosis is different that the Ichthyosis in other dogs. I have an affected dog who is asymptomatic most of the time. When she is not, it is a few flakes easily handled with basic grooming and adding fish oil supplements to the the diet. If the puppy is not showing any symptoms, you could order a test from paw print genetics or similar company to determine the puppy‘s status. If clear or carrier, you will never have any issues as the dog doesn’t have the issue. Even if the dog is affected there is a high chance that it will main asymptomatic.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I might have an Embark coupon code laying around if you're interested. I did their Breeders Dog DNA test kit cause it gives you more info - that one runs $179, but I had a coupon that dropped the price to $99. If I don't have a coupon, they run sales pretty regularly. Sign up for their email list, sometimes they sent the coupons this way. Black Friday is their big sale, if you want to wait until then.

ETA: they have a coupon on their website for $30 off the breed + health kit (total $169, normal price $199). The code is MADNESS. I'll see if I have a better coupon.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I would really like to come on this forum and read about Golden Retriever related topics and escape the corona virus panic inducing speculation! Can't you find a more appropriate place to share your panic?
Luckily I am NOT in panic, and am fully prepared, unlike many others. Those unprepared are either in full denial or outright panic; thus the current mess at the retail level. Took 2 or my 3 dogs for a wellness check in the middle of February (the 3rd was in the end of last yr). Being prepared and doing all that we can do is not an exercise, and is not folly!

The sheer number of reads that posts relating to Corona19 (Like my DIY hand sanitizer thread..now closed down) are indicative of the large number of people that are VERY interested in any information that can be gleaned.
Members, and lurkers, not interested are always free to not read related material should they so choose.

Unfortunately the virus affects not only us, but our ability to care for our dogs, thus the comments.
Since a sick dog requires VET intervention; it is prudent to be aware of ANYTHING that could affect the chances of getting care for those that we love.

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,421 Posts
Let's try to keep this thread on Topic, provide help to the OP with her question which is this-

New puppy... hi all. We picked up a new puppy today... all very sudden and last minute from a breeder and discovered both parents are carriers of ichthyosis. The pup is 9 weeks. The breeder did not mention this to me- told me that they had all clearances and i believed her. (Bad move now I know). At pickup i asked for the clearance info and saw this. The pup looks perfect - I checked him thoroughly... but what do I do now? I’m super upset she misled me and now want to have him tested. She said we’d be able to see it at 9 weeks and his skin is perfect. Anyone here with a pup with this that can provide insight? My kids met him and are sooo excited (we brought him
Home). I just don’t know what to do!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Luckily I am NOT in panic, and am fully prepared, unlike many others. Those unprepared are either in full denial or outright panic; thus the current mess at the retail level. Took 2 or my 3 dogs for a wellness check in the middle of February (the 3rd was in the end of last yr). Being prepared and doing all that we can do is not an exercise, and is not folly!

The sheer number of reads that posts relating to Corona19 (Like my DIY hand sanitizer thread..now closed down) are indicative of the large number of people that are VERY interested in any information that can be gleaned.
Members, and lurkers, not interested are always free to not read related material should they so choose.

Unfortunately the virus affects not only us, but our ability to care for our dogs, thus the comments.
Since a sick dog requires VET intervention; it is prudent to be aware of ANYTHING that could affect the chances of getting care for those that we love.
There is a thread on the forum titled “COVID 19 RANT” perhaps you would enjoy contributing. It seems to still center around how it effects our caring for our pets during this time.
This person is looking for help with ICT which I understand since I have a dog with it. You can verify through his K9Data page.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
My feel on it is we keep COVID out of threads not titled COVID in some way so we can deal with the issues at hand and not be intruded on by the glare of tin foil hats. I find it extremely accosting and do not like fear mongering on anything, much less something that affects us all financially. We are all quite capable of using Google.

·
Super Moderator
725 Posts
My feel on it is we keep COVID out of threads not titled COVID in some way so we can deal with the issues at hand and not be intruded on by the glare of tin foil hats. I find it extremely accosting and do not like fear mongering on anything, much less something that affects us all financially. We are all quite capable of using Google.
I agree 100%. I hope the OP has gotten some helpful advice from those of us with first hand experience with ICT and didn’t have to weed through too many off topic and not helpful replies.

·
Registered
21,018 Posts
I didn't notice it in my dog until he was several years old.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
I did the test, Paw Prints Genetics and found my girl was a carrier... I was actually concerned about eye issues not ICT. She is 4 and has had no symptoms and now that I know her status, don't expect any. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! BTW the vet will not have a test for this, they don't do genetic testing and that's all ICT is. It's not a condition to catch or treat. Simply something that's passed on from the parents.
Not defending the breeder by any means but her statement was she did testing... too bad she doesn't understand why you do the testing or how to use the information. I do hope you will post her info to help other people not be fooled by her deceiption. You did good to notice both the test results and understand this was a bad breeding choice! Enjoy your pup, they don't stay small for long.

·
Registered
154 Posts
An acquaintance in the field trail world recently ask what I knew about Ichthyosis in Goldens. He had an opportunity to buy a well bred pup at a discounted price because it was Ichthyosis affected. The breeder had done testing on the litter and disclosed the results due to both parents being carriers. This is an example of what a reputable breeder does.
He bought the pup after hearing from multiple sources that ICH is typically mild in Goldens. Last I heard the pup is doing very well a in training and ICH has been a non issue.

I did the test, Paw Prints Genetics and found my girl was a carrier... I was actually concerned about eye issues not ICT. She is 4 and has had no symptoms and now that I know her status, don't expect any.
Carriers will not get ICH. They may get dandruff at times like many dogs do but only affected dogs will have ICH.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I'm just curious about this. I just assumed a reputable breeder would avoid breeding 2 carriers. Was there a reason they would?

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,640 Posts
I wouldn't breed 2 carries personally BUT I could suspect a breeder who saw really high end potential would risk it knowing not all would get the dominate gene and pick a pup that wasn't affected from the litter and sell the pups at a discount with full disclosure.

To me, that really would be the only reason and for me not a good enough one as breeders should be doing all they can NOT to perpetuate issues in the breed. Honestly that is really a selfish reason as eradicating things like ICT and other hereditary issues is always more important than potentially improving structure or whatever the breeder was trying to do.

Also, with genetics with dominate and recessive genes, it's a percentage of chance. A litter could get lucky and all be carrier but that is like hitting the lottery. Here is the basics for 2 dogs being carriers (carrying only 1 recessive gen when 2 are required for it to become dominate or expressed)...

When both parents are carriers for a recessive disorder, each pup has a 1 in 4 (25 percent) chance of inheriting the two changed gene copies. A pup who inherits two changed gene copies will be “affected,” meaning the pup has the disorder

·
Super Moderator
725 Posts
In my opinion, I believe that the testing from Animal Genetics was faulty and gave my breeder a false CLEAR on the sire. Either that or the results that were provided to me were not accurate...I don’t want to say much more on that particular subject out of fear..

Anyway, she had stated that she bred the pair together because of the sire’s clear results knowing the Dam was affected. If Denver’s sire was actually CLEAR there is no scientific way he would be affected. I bet sire was actually a carrier. A half-sibling of Denver’s on K9Data is a carrier....and for that breeding Denver’s sire was bred to a clear bitch...so that half-sibling should be clear provided the results from animal genetics were accurate.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts