Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New puppy... hi all. We picked up a new puppy today... all very sudden and last minute from a breeder and discovered both parents are carriers of ichthyosis. The pup is 9 weeks. The breeder did not mention this to me- told me that they had all clearances and i believed her. (Bad move now I know). At pickup i asked for the clearance info and saw this. The pup looks perfect - I checked him thoroughly... but what do I do now? I’m super upset she misled me and now want to have him tested. She said we’d be able to see it at 9 weeks and his skin is perfect. Anyone here with a pup with this that can provide insight? My kids met him and are sooo excited (we brought him
Home). I just don’t know what to do!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Have you consulted your vet yet?

With health conditions deteriorating fast in the USA today, it is becoming harder and harder to get appointments, with many vets limiting appointments and/or the conditions for getting a pet admitted. The situation is deteriorating fast, and I would suggest getting your pup in ASAP if at all possible. TBH, I had to look that illness up and it is nothing to play with imo.

I also suggest not risking infecting yourself or your family which unfortunately is possible when venturing out in public (Many states are either implementing mandatory store/business closings and/or mandatory Shelter in Place directives.
My vet will no longer allow a client into the practice, and we must remain outside in the car, as a vet employee retrieves the pet and any communications are then via phone.They have also ceased performing any elective surgeries and procedures.

In my state, it is still unclear if a pet illness is deemed "necessary" to legally violate such emergency proclamations. The officials here are way to busy trying to protect the public, and as yet have not addressed many impending issues.

Good luck to you and yours.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Ichthyosis has a DNA test- there is nothing the vet can do that needs a fast run in.. Many genetic companies carry it- probably the cheapest single test is done by pawprint but if you think you want to know all his other conditions genetically, Embark is your best bet. Do not panic. With both parents carriers, it is likely he is too- but even if he were affected, most of the time it is a super annoying housekeeping problem and no more.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
And I say to the OP that Jeff 'had to look this up' and ICT is something most all of us know more about than practitioners- really- and I rarely say that. This is one of those things, though. Even if you have a cutting edge vet who keeps up on skin conditions, that vet is going to see no symptoms (per your post and it is an obvious condition so you would know ) and IF the vet knows there is a DNA test, will suggest the DNA test. Which you can do yourself at home. You can also search here if you have better luck w the search engine than I do and while it IS an awful mess to have an affected puppy, yours is not affected or he would have flakes by now. They usually show up around 5-6 weeks. Do not worry. If you were not buying a breeding animal, there is no need to be angry w the breeder. If you did buy a breeding boy, it IS going to affect your choices (or rather, those who would choose your dog).
Now- unless this is an amazing, no other way, breeding- it IS irresponsible to breed two carriers -in my opinion- not because it makes more carriers but because of the rare case of ICT that has associated GI problems and way worse than 90% of the affecteds problems. Why put that housekeeping mess on pet homes? It's just dumb imo. Odds are that w 2 carriers breeding half of the puppies will be carriers, 25% not, and 25% affected. Those odds are for each puppy and the status of one does not influence the status of the others. edit: being a carrier has not been shown to be associated w any disease state or likelihood to suffer from other conditions. I've gotten ICT gene twice from frozen semen breedings. Having a breeding animal who is a carrier is a little more work to do well but other than that it's just a mutated allele that was inherited.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a two year old with ICT. I didn’t know he had it when I bought him, found out through DNA testing. For him it’s the equivalent of dandruff. I don’t see it daily. If he is stressed it will pop up. I give him a fish oil supplement that I think helps.
He doesn’t itch or leave flakes in my house unless he’s having a flare up. He’s had 2 in two years. One when I sent him to a trainer which obviously stressed him out, and one last month. Not sure why he did it last month? Maybe just with his shedding?
Your vet will likely not be much help. You may have to vacuum a little more, but let’s be honest you bought a Golden, your gonna vacuum. I have black carpet and interior in my Jeep so I find it annoying when he has flakes and we go somewhere.
It’s a DNA test, not a required clearance. Would I breed two affected dogs? No Would I consider returning him? No

I’ve found it’s more acceptable in performance lines, but I do think that’s changing.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts

With health conditions deteriorating fast in the USA today, it is becoming harder and harder to get appointments, with many vets limiting appointments and/or the conditions for getting a pet admitted. The situation is deteriorating fast, and I would suggest getting your pup in ASAP if at all possible. TBH, I had to look that illness up and it is nothing to play with imo.

I also suggest not risking infecting yourself or your family which unfortunately is possible when venturing out in public (Many states are either implementing mandatory store/business closings and/or mandatory Shelter in Place directives.
My vet will no longer allow a client into the practice, and we must remain outside in the car, as a vet employee retrieves the pet and any communications are then via phone.They have also ceased performing any elective surgeries and procedures.

In my state, it is still unclear if a pet illness is deemed "necessary" to legally violate such emergency proclamations. The officials here are way to busy trying to protect the public, and as yet have not addressed many impending issues.

I would really like to come on this forum and read about Golden Retriever related topics and escape the corona virus panic inducing speculation! Can't you find a more appropriate place to share your panic?

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,843 Posts

What is the matter with you? Are you trying to instill fear into people. Ichthyosis is a simple genetic test that causes high levels of dandruff. Why are you trying to panic people? It's a simple test that is ordered online and you can send it in. There is no need for anyone to risk going out for this.

As you said vets are screening people for IMPORTANT health issues. This is a nuisance issue really. You really just need to stop this fear mongering. People are already in edge with this pandemic.

·
Super Moderator
896 Posts
Denver has DNA confirmed ICH. We noticed it at 6 weeks when we were visiting the pups with the breeder. I asked the breeder about the dry skin (I only really noticed it on his belly) and she shrugged it off as puppy dandruff. Both of his parents DID have DNA testing through animal genetics. His Dam is affected/asymptomatic and his sire came back as CLEAR.

Because his parents had the clearances we believed that it was puppy dandruff and called our vet who said that was very very common. We picked Denver up at 8 weeks and he had just been groomed and ready to go home with us, and there was not a single flake in sight. We kept up with brushing and bathing and didn’t have another problem until we went to the beach last summer. He is crazy about the water and spent much of the time in the ocean and the sand. We thoroughly hosed him down after the beach every single time and even gave him one bath while we were there.

After that we noticed flaking on his legs and belly, but we assumed it was the drying salt water. I fully groom and bathe him every 2 weeks, and he gets brushed every day, so that pretty much takes care of it and keeps it at bay.

I just had a full DNA panel run on him through Paw Print (not because of the flaking but because I want to be respected and taken seriously by breeders in hopes that I can get a show puppy next) and low and behold, he came back as AFFECTED. The whole process was EASY!!! I bought the test online, they sent me the kit, I swabbed Denver’s mouth while I had him on the grooming table and sent the samples off in the mail that night. I had the results back in 9 days. I did not need to see the vet at all.

I wasn’t surprised considering his dam was also affected, but I did have a lot of questions....especially given the fact that his sire got a CLEAR from Animal Genetics Labs?? It did spark an interesting conversation with his breeder....

Anyway this is a roundabout way of saying, ichthyosis isn’t always a terrible thing, for us we didn’t even know he had it until the salt water caused it to flare up, and even then after a few baths with a good shampoo it has been under control. We have added an omega supplement in capsule form, and we had given him omega treats all along for his coat. He doesn’t have any other issues like GI problems or anything else. We vacuum every day for the shedding so it is not something that it typically noticed. Our vet says he typically sees goldens with flakes but just chalks it up to dry weather, poor diet or lack of proper grooming, but it’s probably more common than you think because most cases are mild.

Would I ever knowingly purchase an affected puppy again? No I would not. I think we are luckily in that unless you were really looking, you would never know Denver was affected.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,227 Posts
A reminder all-

You are entitled to your opinions on what you believe may or may not be a health issue, or what may or may not work to help an animal in its overall health.

However if a post or thread is stated as a fact you may be asked to prove your statements, even with scientific articles, so others may know where you obtain your information.

This forum does not substitute the use, or recommendations, of your veterinarian.

Use this forum for informational purposes only.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
And I will add to Kate's- when someone posts 'I had to look this up!! It's(whatever he called it - nasty stuff?) go to your vet!'.. and that person HAS NO EXPERIENCE he is just regurgitating minimal Dr Google (hmmm). For that matter, he is on his first Golden, and is not involved in the breed in any way other than the GRF and he contributes nothing here on GOLDENS. He has no experience,

and then tosses in the whole Covid mess, as he does in every single post- we are not stupid. It is annoying. We all have the same info he does, and do not need his advice. Just stop saying anything if you do not personally know about the condition- ICT in this case. Believe me- I have taught vets about ICT.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The breeder did not mention this to me- told me that they had all clearances and i believed her. (Bad move now I know).
1st of all BUYER BEWARE
You purchased a pup from an unscrupulous breeder. If I were you I would post the breeders name and tell everyone I knew.
Fortunately it is unlikely to be more than an inconvenience. I would be curious as to what else the breeder may not have divulged, to you or others.
Do you have Limited Registration? That weeds out the dishonest breeders, or so I hear.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,843 Posts
I am in agreement with Prism, It really annoying when people are spouting on and on repeatedly about the same things over and over in the same posts and multiple posts at that. It might be different if people would state an opinion once but not 5 times saying the same thing trying to beat their opinion into people. If you mention anything to the contrary of their opinion, they just come back twice as hard and over and over again instead of other people state their EXPERIENCE and opinions as well, it's annoying.

Also, creating fear for people to run their pets to the vet (because it is fear) for something like Icthyosis when it's not an emergency and he himself is saying vets do not want you to bring your animal in unless it's sick or some emergency. ICT is NOT anything of the sort. He's his own contradiction.

·
Registered
12,654 Posts
To the OP... hope you are still here and didn't get scared off by some of the replies. There are really, really knowledgeable people here - the long time members, the breeders, members who own dogs with the same condition are giving you valuable advice. Check how long they have been memebrs and how many posts they have under their names. Try not to worry. Definitely don't panic. If he does have it, there is nothing immediate you can do. Enjoy your pup, and if he does have it, people here and your vet will be good resources to manage it.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
I have had an ICT affected dog in the past, and sadly, he had gastrointestinal issues probably related to it. Also, it tends to get much worse when they become seniors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all! My question for those that had affected dogs is when did you notice it? Should I see something by now? Note that I may have inspected him w a flashlight while he was sleeping.... I do have an upcoming vet appt and will of course ask. Just looking for some owner advice while I was stressing! Thank you

1 - 20 of 95 Posts