Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We bought a dog from Britany Ratcliff-Rodenberg and her mother Debra Ratcliff who breed from Prairie Du Rocher, Illinois under the guise of an Illinois breeders license in the name of the Pampered Puppy.
We found out that not only does our dog but a whole line of the Dogs Britany sells has the life long disorder of the ICH1 trait and not just 1 copy of it but 2!

If you contact the State of Illinois department of Agriculture and ask for their Investigation Unit or Dr. Staci Slager DMV you can independently verify the ongoing investigation about these gross abuses of her Goldens, Wooley Coat Siberian Husky’s and Pomeranians as well as her Main **** and Persian cats.

If anyone know any other web sites she’s on feel free to post this and contact the State of Illinois and report and health issues.

i have video and pictures I can post of the horrid conditions the dogs and puppies live in and the proof that her farm ( concentration camp for animals) is heavily infected with Giardia and Hookworms, Ringworms and ICH1.
View attachment 886282 View attachment 886282

Attachments

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
That's pretty hideous. And completely avoidable, carrier is no big deal but affected is.
I hope that in 'your breeding program' you search for your next bitch from a breeder who is conscientious.

·
Registered
374 Posts
ICH-1 carries are quite common in golden retriever lines (Paw Print estimated that 44% of the breed are carriers), so that alone is not a "red flag." The point of genetic testing, however, is to avoid breeding 2 carriers together, as that is how you get an "affected" pup.

Honest question, though...why get a pup from a breeder who keeps the dogs in what you believed to be "horrible conditions"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We bought a dog from Britany Ratcliff-Rodenberg and her mother Debra Ratcliff who breed from Prairie Du Rocher, Illinois under the guise of an Illinois breeders license in the name of the Pampered Puppy.
We found out that not only does our dog but a whole line of the Dogs Britany sells has the life long disorder of the ICH1 trait and not just 1 copy of it but 2!

If you contact the State of Illinois department of Agriculture and ask for their Investigation Unit or Dr. Staci Slager DMV you can independently verify the ongoing investigation about these gross abuses of her Goldens, Wooley Coat Siberian Husky’s and Pomeranians as well as her Main **** and Persian cats.

If anyone know any other web sites she’s on feel free to post this and contact the State of Illinois and report and health issues.

i have video and pictures I can post of the horrid conditions the dogs and puppies live in and the proof that her farm ( concentration camp for animals) is heavily infected with Giardia and Hookworms, Ringworms and ICH1.
View attachment 886282 View attachment 886282
im not directed to any video any way you can send them to me directly? I’m about to purchase a dog from this breeder

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
When you got this thread from the google search, did you not notice the complaints board thread on them and the other negative reviews? If you will post sire and dam reg names someone here can assess risk for you-

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you got this thread from the google search, did you not notice the complaints board thread on them and the other negative reviews? If you will post sire and dam reg names someone here can assess risk for you-
no, that does not come up.The only negative review I can find appears to be from the OP…. 1 bad review in over a decade doesn’t seem bad. On her Facebook I see plenty of folks talking about how lucky they were to get a pup from them….

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
FB not the way to find a safe purchase! When I put it in google, I got a ton of bad reviews. Here's a quick one- Pampered Pups - Puppy Mill/Poor Breeding and you can find more.
So - just to know the real life risk, if you will post sire and dam registered names, someone here will evaluate for you.

Reactions: njdglvr

·
Registered
3 Posts
FB not the way to find a safe purchase! When I put it in google, I got a ton of bad reviews. Here's a quick one- Pampered Pups - Puppy Mill/Poor Breeding and you can find more.
So - just to know the real life risk, if you will post sire and dam registered names, someone here will evaluate for you.
thank you for providing that link. My guy was telling it seemed off…. Vajra’s girl #2 is all I know. I feel pretty dumb about this I’m out $250. I was on puppies dot com….. when looking at the dog I didn’t see negative reviews the website almost hides them it seems like.

I found another dog and this other breeder has a few reviews that are good but now I’m super hesitant to move forward.

I’ve only ever purchase 2 dogs 1 was 12 yrs ago and I did zero vetting and was lucky he lived a great 12 yrs and the second was a rescue.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I think you need to take a deep breath and a HUGE step backward if you are interested in buying a healthy Golden Retriever (or any other breed) from a reputable breeder. Reputable breeders rarely advertise in any "group" online site (many don't even have their own website, as they find enough good homes via word of mouth and repeat buyers). They rarely breed more than one or two breeds. "AKC registered" doesn't say anything about the quality of a dog - even puppy mill/pet store puppies can be AKC registered, it just means the breeder sent in paperwork to AKC claiming that two AKC registered dogs were the puppies' parents (easily forged/lied about and says nothing about the dogs' health, temperament, breeder ethics, etc.). Even the "AKC Marketplace" is rarely used by reputable breeders.

If you are looking for a Golden retriever this Forum has a ton of good information about what to look for. If you are looking for a different breed, I encourage you to post in our "other pets" sub-forum and ask for guidance on how to find your breed of choice bred by a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
thank you for providing that link. My guy was telling it seemed off…. Vajra’s girl #2 is all I know. I feel pretty dumb about this I’m out $250. I was on puppies dot com….. when looking at the dog I didn’t see negative reviews the website almost hides them it seems like.

I found another dog and this other breeder has a few reviews that are good but now I’m super hesitant to move forward.

I’ve only ever purchase 2 dogs 1 was 12 yrs ago and I did zero vetting and was lucky he lived a great 12 yrs and the second was a rescue.
You shouldn't be hesitant, you should take the loss and run.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Take some time exploring the parent club website of your breed of choice. For Goldens it's the GRCA website. Read up on the GRCA Code of Ethics to learn what the recommended health clearances are and be aware that reputable breeders are doing DNA testing for various other health concerns in the breed that can be passed on genetically. This will help you understand what the minimum qualifications are to be considered an ethical reputable breeder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts