Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
We got our first snow here in Ohio this weekend and we need to apply some ice melter to the steps on the back porch. Archie is 8 weeks old and we are still carrying him in and out a lot, but want to be sure that if we put something on the steps, it will be safe for him. Does anyone have any recommendations? Something to use, or products to avoid?

Attachments

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
The salt will burn his paws. You can carry him over it, spray his paws with Pam, or there is a product called mushers secret. You will have to wipe that off once the pup comes in the house.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We don't usually use any type of ice melter, we just shovel, so can't help you there. I just wanted to say, the picture of Archie is adorable.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That Archie is just adorable. Living in Florida, I cant help you but wanted to say he is just so cute.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Be careful. Some of the industrial stuff is outright dangerous for pups if they lick it off their paws.

Even the "pet safe" stuff can wreak havoc on their pads. We go to great lengths to avoid getting it on our dogs' feet, and we clean them off when it's unavoidable.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
We have used ice melt, but prefer not to with our dogs. I have found just plain old course kosher salt works as well and I assume is not too dangerous for them. Sand or kitty litter would also help create some traction (but of course makes a mess).

I just watched old Dream slip on the patio, I panicked, all I could think of was another ACL rupture. I just poured a box of kosher salt on a path for them LOL.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Kitty litter works really good and I think that's safe enough. I had to use some in a pinch last weekend when we got ice and all the stores were out of salt.

But normally I use salt, doesn't seem to bother Daisy's paws at all.

Dreammom, I hear you .. Daisy's got 2 repaired knees, I'm very careful with the ice. Can't get out of our house without going down steps so definitely have to use something.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We use the "pet safe" stuff and I haven't noticed Cooper licking his paws more than usual or any redness or irritation. I got mine at Target but they also sell it at PetSmart. It melted the ice off the deck pretty nicely so no ice the next day. I have only put it on there twice so not sure about needing to use it everyday...if it would cause irritation or not.

·
Owner of a Bailey Girl!
1,365 Posts
Musher's Secret was the topic of conversation at dinner tonight!

"LovinArchie" is my sister and cute little Archie is my furry nephew :) They're brand new to the forum.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
I have been using Safe Paws for two winters now and have had no problems with their paws. You can buy it at Entirely Pets or most of the pets stores in our area carry it.
Archie is just adorable!

MERRY CHRISTMAS.............

·
Registered
958 Posts
In the past we have just kept our steps as clean as possible. They might be a little slippy but our past dogs always used caution when climbing the steps. Last week when we got some snow over rain (icy lower layer), I called the girls in...they were at the bottom of the yard. Both came running like a streak of lightning. Gracie stopped before she got to the steps, but Ruby was going about 35 mph as she hit the first step:uhoh:. Paws were flying everywhere:doh:...looked like a cartoon. She did manage to get safely to the top...I don't know how.

I guess we are going to have to put something down when it's icy. Jo Ellen's idea of using kitty litter has me contemplating the thought of a mixture of "safe paws" and "kitty litter". I'm thinking that the safe paws will melt the ice, the kitty litter will soak up the liquid and we can sweep up the kitty litter before the dogs get it in there paws and carry it all over the house. That would minimize the amount of chemical the dogs get on their paws and the DW won't be freaking out over kitty litter on the kitchen floor. I have no clue if it will work, but I guess it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the tips. I'll be sure to post pics of Arch as he grows. I'm finding this forum most helpful. It's become my go-to resource online for any questions about my little monster:)

·
Cheeky Curmudgeon
1,046 Posts
We use a pet safe one that we purchased at a pet supply shop that is called Paw Thaw, but I regularly clean my dog's paws after each walk, use Musher's Secret and if it is too cold I use boots.

Please don't use table salt, kosher salt which is sodium chloride or other ice melt products that contain for example calcium chloride. The ice melt products will lower the freezing point of water and allow the ice to melt and prevent it from re-freezing at 32ºF/0ºC. However, the addition of sodium chloride into water will actually cause the temperature to drop and cause your dog's paws to feel colder. Other chemicals like calcium chloride are used on major roadways will release energy when dissolved in water that helps melt the ice below temperatures of 16ºF/-9ºC and also depress the freezing point of water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts