Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's spring (really, still winter) here in Ohio and the perpetually frozen water buckets and tubs can attest to that fact. When we pull the ice out of the tubs in the mornings... And afternoons... And evenings... Our four dogs love to take off with the ice chunks. We have never had a problem with giving ice to our dogs, but I have heard stories that are completely opposite my experiences. Because I'm curious, what are your guys' opinions and experiences on this subject?

Here is Kuyani this morning, with a small chunk out of our 40 gallon horse tub. Poor guy could hardly hold it and trot at the same time, since it kept slipping and he has such a soft mouth :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
My breeder told me absolutely no ice. It can cramp the stomach and cause bloat.
Cool water in moderation is all they need.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have heard of dogs breaking a tooth on a piece of ice but we always give Nugget a small cube as a very low calorie treat. He could be virtually anywhere in the house and when he hears the ice dispenser he comes running to the kitchen and sits rock solid next to the person using it.

Fortunately, Nugget rolls the ice in his mouth and melts a good part of it before we hear the characteristic crunch of cracking ice.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My only concern would be what's in the ice if this is ice that the horses have been drinking out of.... o_O
Most of the time, any possible chunks settle to the bottom before the top of the water freezes. We do keep the tubs and buckets as clean as possible, though, because otherwise the picky horses won't drink out of them ;) Generally, the ice is pretty clean-looking though.

I guess I have not heard of thesr concerns. We give ice cubes to my BC if she asks for them when we have ice water.
I hadn't heard of them until more recently either. My dogs beg for ice almost as badly as they beg for people food haha

My breeder told me absolutely no ice. It can cramp the stomach and cause bloat.
Cool water in moderation is all they need.
That's kind of along the lines of what I'd been hearing. My breeder isn't too concerned with ice though. Each outdoor kennel has a bucket that sometimes ends up freezing, and the dogs adore digging the ice out. I think the problems are mainly caused if a dog is too hot and ice then shocks the system from the inside-out, but I could be wrong

I have heard of dogs breaking a tooth on a piece of ice but we always give Nugget a small cube as a very low calorie treat. He could be virtually anywhere in the house and when he hears the ice dispenser he comes running to the kitchen and sits rock solid next to the person using it.

Fortunately, Nugget rolls the ice in his mouth and melts a good part of it before we hear the characteristic crunch of cracking ice.
Mine do the exact same! And if one cube falls to the floor, you better be prepared to give each of the others a cube as well, so they don't feel left out. It makes sense to worry about cracking teeth, but ice cubes are not as tough as many bones or even some toys on the market. I know I enjoy eating ice and I'm sure the dogs have stronger teeth than I do...

·
Kate
20,616 Posts
Most of the time, any possible chunks settle to the bottom before the top of the water freezes. We do keep the tubs and buckets as clean as possible, though, because otherwise the picky horses won't drink out of them ;) Generally, the ice is pretty clean-looking though.
Huh. :) I just am thinking about the tubs at the barn I board at. They are kept clean and thoroughly hosed out in summer, but winter it's a bit more difficult to get that done. So you have manure and other mystery items that wind up in the tubs (frozen dead birds and mice included) that get sorted out when everything thoroughly melts in spring.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I fill my dogs water dish with ice cubes daily. Sometimes they stick together and she brings out a big chunk, drops it on the ground and shatters it all over my kitchen and dinning room :doh:. She usually cleans most of it up, though I usually end up stepping in a puddle at some point. She LOVES ice and its a nice treat.

·
Registered
203 Posts
In Alaska it is kinda hard to prevent them from eating ice and snow. I have never had any of my dogs have an issue. If it is really hot I can see how ice may shock their system. My dogs come running when ever they here the ice maker :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
One of my Maggie's (RIP) favorite treat was ice cubes. We never had stomach or teeth issues and she lived to be almost 14 y.o. I suppose chewing on ice could result in a chipped or cracked tooth but so can antlers and bones. As for stomach cramps, maybe if the dog is swallowing ice cubes whole, but most seem to be chewing the ice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts