Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a decent puppy food? I just recieved some info from the breeder and she stated the puppies were on this type of food.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Iams is a good food. It's what we feed and it's also what our breeder fed Tucker's litter. It's the only food that Tucker has done great on.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I haven't seen anything great from iams, it's not a food I'd ever consider (I feed raw). If you look on dog food analysis.com it should have a review of the food.

Lana

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I fed it to Bailey, but she didn't like it. We ended up switching.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Is this a decent puppy food? I just recieved some info from the breeder and she stated the puppies were on this type of food.
I wouldn't recommend it. On the other hand, there are members on this forum that do feed Iams and it seems to work for some of them so there ya go.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,602 Posts
Did you ask the breeder? They usually have good reasons why they feed a particular food to their puppies. It never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If it were me, I'd leave the puppy on this food for the first couple of weeks you have it home. Then, I'd be looking to try a kibble that has it primary protein coming from named meat sources. With IAMS Smart Puppy: once the moisture is cooked out of the chicken (#1 ingredient) it makes the #2 listed ingredient of cornmeal the first ingredient by weight. Meat proteins are more highly digestible than corn protein. Once you do some researching, you'll find there are quite a few reasonably priced brands to try.

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, I think so as to not change he world so much at first I will keep her on this and then in a few weeks or a month I will slowly start changing her over to something else. I have actually been considering the Royal Canin.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I had Maverick on it for about 2 months and have recently switched to BB Basics. He was doing good on Iams, but I felt BB Basics is more nutritious for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts