Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every-time,I walk my 7 yr old golden,people tell me that she is small.
I would like to know what you think?
She is 23,5 in tall for 68 pds.I thought this was pretty norma?l.
For the owners of female goldens,could you tell me how tall and how heavy,yr female is?
I would also like to know,how many cups a day,do you feed yr dog?
I feed mine,2 cups a day.
Thanks for yr help.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
68 pounds for a female sounds alright too me. Males are normally larger then females. I am just speaking from the information I have been reading over the last few months.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If anything, 68 pounds and 23.5 inches means she is a big girl. The standard for Golden females is 20-22 inches and 55-70 pounds; I think the weight standard has recently been raised to 70 for females.

I'm not sure about Dottie's height, but she's 68 pounds, and she's routinely mistaken to be a male. She is indeed very handsome, but female!

Don't worry about what those people are saying. Your girl is fine.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Maggie is about 22 inches and runs between 65-68 pounds.... Our vet said for her frame not to let her get more than 70 pounds...... and she isnt a big girl....

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I think a lot of Goldens are well above the breed standard for height and weight so people are more accustomed to them being larger dogs. My last golden Charlie was about 30-31 inches at the shoulder and just shy of 100 lbs (and lean). WELL above the breed standard! He was a very tall boy.

With that said, Vinny is about 24" at the shoulder and 70 lbs, which is right smack-dab on the breed standard, and he seems like a midget to me after having Charlie. I think it's kind of like how Americans have grown accustomed to seeing dogs be overweight, and people think they look too thin when they're actually a healthy weight.

Check out www.akc.org to see the breed standards for each of the breeds. It's interesting to see what is actually the "normal" range.

·
3 goldens
11,740 Posts
My KayCee is 67 pounds, altho i think she may have added a pound or two since I got her weighed. need to do that. And Honey who is a mix with what we think is sight hound was 70 on her last weight in, and Buck, is 75. I measured their height a while back, but don't remember. I am thinking Buck was at least an inch to high, KayCee was about right, and of course, no matter with Honey as we aren't sure what else she is----except her heart is pure gold.

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Our Sam weighs 70 pounds or in metric about 31 kilograms. Our Vet said she was overweight????? She seems just right to me. He also told us that they should be around the same weight as a Border collie. I have come to believe not everything a vet tells you is gospel,(most of the time it is! ) Sometimes trust your gut feeling and your intimate knowledge of your pet should guide you. If your dog is happy and healthy,and loving, then don't stress too much. Enjoy your times together!

·
idabwmn
1,055 Posts
My first Golden Brandy was a big girl and in her prime carried ninty pounds no problem and was often mistaken for a male. Millie is 62 pounds and it is a perfect weight for her. Here is a picture of her is full coat and then one when I had her ( I know it's a no no) shaved this spring.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts